Maschinen Krieger - Skitarii/Cult Mech

Hey B&C, I'm a long time Fantasy player out of Seattle easing back into 40K (haven't really played since 4th launched).

While I've hit it hard with Eldar in the past, I really like the look of the Adeptus Mechanicus, especially the Onagers and Kastelans. I've put together an 1850 list for casual-play: a Skitarii Maniple and Cohort Cybernetica. My paint-scheme is based on a old Japanese comic called Maschinen Krieger, you can see it in the background of my pics. I imagine these guys are on a scrub land / steppe battlefield, hence the rocky bases with sparse tufts of grass.

I've two units of Vanguard painted, kept their Alphas with the standard radium carbine to keep them cheap. They really look solid as mid-field units, especially with their Assault 3 rifles. The Rangers I'm unsure on - figure they're best for holding the backfield and camping in terrain. Their standard galvanic rifles look okay but have been reading mostly meh' reviews on the transuranic arquebus. The range is fantastic and I guess they could be useful to pick out special weapon / sergeants from the opposing backfield campers? May switch one of the squads for another small squad of Vanguard.

I like the idea of the Infiltrators, not sure if I'll outflank or infiltrate with them, will have to depend on terrain. I do have the models for another five or maybe some Rust Stalkers, which would help meet the requirements of a Battle Maniple.

Onagers are awesome, both aesthetically and in firepower. They're my primary reach weapons with their Neutron Lasers. Was thinking of combining them into a single unit of two to get the increased invulnerable save, but that sacrifices their ability to shoot at two different targets. From what I head, the Icarus Array is pure murder to fliers and skimmers, the latter of which is present in my meta so I'd like to keep it.

Last is the Cohort Cybernetica, my midfield anchor squad. Combined with the Tech Priest and the formation's ability to split fire, I plan on raining down phospherous death on the meager enemies of the Imperium. I maxed out on the phospher blasters so that they're consistently effective with all their weapons at 36" range. The incendine combusters are tempting though as I like the idea of 4-8 torrent flame templates blazing out, not to mention the wall of death. Modelwise, I don't like the standard Edward Phospherhands look so I did a minor conversion of two barrels on one gun-hand (twin-linked) and kept the other one a standard hand. I prefer the look (like a Khador Destroyer) and who wouldn't want a beefy robot hand?

Edited by Swan-of-War

I like the gritty feel you have made for your models. The rocky steppes terrain looks nice and it's nice to see your inspiration in the background. It looks quite fitting. I also like the Kastellan conversions. Simple but effective!

Welcome back to WH40k and additionally to the B&C!  :)

You have a really awesome army right there, and it's cool to see the thought process you put into both the theme (which is awesome) and its viability on the tabletop.  I'm always a sucker for strong highlights (especially of the blue variety), and the clean white striping on your models helps to break up the outlines quite nicely.  Have to agree with Flame Boy here, the basing choice is excellent as well.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future (maybe an Imperial Knight?) :D

I love this :wub: , you know when you look at something and it makes you want to go home and start painting your own skitarii again that you know this is great work !! 

the colours are a great combo (of course,since it's from a comic with great work in it) my only gripe is that you should do black on the rim bases to have a more pro look and it will contrast the model better...

overall fantastic work, thankyou very much for sharing this with us!

Mithril

Cohort Cybernetica close to deployment - looking at this picture, the guy on the left's stripe is too wide.

I went with Incendine Combustors on the second set to deal with Nids, Genestealer Cult, open-topped Dark Eldar and anything else that needs some furious immolation.  Up next are some Rangers, then two more Onagers.  

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_2692_zpsqntkw3lh.jpg

You know that scheme could be used with any number of colour sets... it's very striking ,yet so simple and effective :yes:

i still say Paint the rims black for contrast...:sweat:

i notice the comic/artwork has some white mechs with orange on em,that really grabbed my attention :wub:

cheers Mithril

p.s. glad to see some more stuff getting finished,and i agree on the combusters use.

Worked on some Onager Dunecrawlers this morning after finishing up some Rangers.  For some reason, I didn't like painting the rangers, not sure why.

Any suggestions for warhead colors on the Icarus Array?  Just remembered that none of my infantry has their backpacks on - gotta buy some more glue!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/Onagers%20WIP_zpslng6qyld.jpg

I think yellow is the best bet for Warheads, since that's what's typically used IRL and will have a stark contrast to the green/creme.  Either that or a bold red.

Was really hoping you'd do some Onagers.  I really want GW to bring some of the FW transports into 40k because I think your scheme (and many others I've seen around here) would look AMAZING on those models.  The striping in particular is very neat and adds an eye-catching contrast without distracting from the overall model.

Any chance of a full army shot?  :)

• 1 month later...

Hey all - I've been getting enough painting in for an update: finished a squad of Rust Stalkers and five more Vanguard w/ a single Arc Rifle.  I also added Alphas to my larger Vanguard squads (one with taser goad, one with arc maul). 

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_3188_zps5tk2rzyq.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_3192_zpsnsndb6y1.jpg

These larger pics really show how bad I am at assembly -

I found some waterslides from the Bolt Action German Tanks set that I used for numbers, pretty close to what I was looking for and I'm happy with them.  Added markings to the Onagers and Kastelans.  There's a few subtle warning signs on the Onagers from the Skitarii decal set (if you look hard enough).

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_3194_zpscoctosdm.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_3198_zpsrmsiewod.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Mospaeda/IMG_3197_zpsyarqcgez.jpg

Awesome work all around!  I love the countershading effect on the Onagers; will you be using a similar scheme for the Militarum Tempestus?