Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why free rules might be a bad idea

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Uprising

Uprising

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,574 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamander,DG, WB, WE, EC

@Vemonlust, and Jeske:  If you wish we can take this to PM, I hate to derail the topic at hand.  But short version, the 2nd hand market is strong atm.  But will 8th release, it will become amazing for buyers, and terrible for sellers. 

Having a strong 2nd-hand market does not necessarily equate the average user using bartering and haggling as a standard practice.

I can only give you personal experiences, but I been doing this for 8 yrs and still making a profit.  Also we have sites for this(craiglist, ebay, banter town), so might as well use the tools available. 

Their good ways to lose and bad ways to win

Tzeentch Daemon Army blog:  http://www.bolterand...vides-for-thee/

ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_01.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer

Kristoff

Kristoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stone Wardens (Black Templar)

@Vemonlust, and Jeske:  If you wish we can take this to PM, I hate to derail the topic at hand.  But short version, the 2nd hand market is strong atm.  But will 8th release, it will become amazing for buyers, and terrible for sellers. 

Having a strong 2nd-hand market does not necessarily equate the average user using bartering and haggling as a standard practice.

I can only give you personal experiences, but I been doing this for 8 yrs and still making a profit.  Also we have sites for this(craiglist, ebay, banter town), so might as well use the tools available. 

If haggling and bartering were a standard practice, it wouldn't be limited to a 2nd-had market.  If it was a standard practice, people wouldn't be rushing through checkout lines at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Target.  They would be haggling over prices no matter where it was happening.

BT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpg
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

QUOTE (Sigismund)
"Zeal makes all things possible, duty makes all things simple"

QUOTE (Megavolt)
"They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Venomlust

Venomlust

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,782 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede

So the current rumor is that 8th ed will in fact have free datasheets, a la AoS. Just a rumor, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's true.

Not like new kits aren't getting more expensive in 40k anyway. $60 Tartaros and Custodes? Get outta town, GW...

Anyway, I bet we'll have more info soon enough!

Realityburn

Realityburn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 832 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
You know, I'd even be okay with having to pay for the core rules if unit specific rules were free.

Personally for me, my wife and I both have armies and could easily share a rulebook.

But having to buy a rather expensive book just to get the rules for 1 or 2 units? That just sucks. It's why I'm still waffling on getting a Fire Raptor and Land Speeder Tempest. I'd have to buy IA2 along with them.

Edit: I know I said my budget is limited. It is. If I pull the trigger on getting thise things that's the last thing im buying for quite a while.

Edited by Realityburn, 23 March 2017 - 04:13 PM.

• Inquisitor Eisenhorn and SickSix like this

SlaveToDarkness

SlaveToDarkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,622 posts
  • Chapter Name: Defecators
Back when I was 11 we didnt have a GW, just a dingy store room above a sports shop that sold games and minis. My first minis I bought was a blister of Fire Dragons, a blister of Chaos Terminators and a blister of Lightning Claw Terminators. A few weeks later I got a box of Imperial Space Marines (a ten man box of beakys) and some paints. The blisters had no pretty pictures and the beakys had Crimson Fists on the box. At that point the only other marine I had seen was a beaky painted as a womble so I had no idea other chapters were a thing. Now I wasnt the sharpest crayon in the toolbox as a kid (and the internet was years away so I couldnt check google,wikis,GW,B&C etc) but I had the common sense to ask other people questions who play about what a Marine was, what the fluff behind them was. Never painted a Crimson Fist until 3rd ed.
My mate and his missus just started collecting, no Idea about the fluff etc, hell they dont actually know what a Marine is. She has Purple Wolves and he has Black and Gold Dark Angels. I dont recall Wolves having any alternate colours on the box, and he was just given the starter set DA's so had no idea they are supposed to be green. So the 'no fluff=Smurfpocalypse or Ultrageddon' argument for new players falls flat on its face. Hell back in my day we didnt have codex books, just WD articles that eventually became the Compendium and Compilation books.
Kids now basically live connected to the net, they are gonna google Space Marine at some point and see many colour schemes. Even the display cabinets and intro tables have alternate chapter schemes. Tbh I have never seen Ultras in a store display except when the Macragge starter came out, and they got repainted Dark Angels after a few weeks.

Actually now I think of blisters/clam packs, if a new player is browsing the selection he will see minis painted Red,Green and Baby Blue as well as Ultramarine colours.

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Liberate Tutemet Ex Inferis

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carcharodon Astra

Regardless of GW's future sales model for rules (and I am a fan of both players spending less money and getting free rules, and a supporter of GW monetizing their game system ruleset), I think the best approach is to give out free complete rules systems to all stores, both official GW ones and registered third-party FLGS retailers.

This way if a new player doesn't have the books, or if someone left theirs at home, you can just use the store's copy when you're playing there. It also supports the stores by giving players incentives to visit the store and play there and buy product there, instead of just playing in each others' basements and buying online. It also is the least GW can do to help out the stores who dedicate so much wall space and pay the cost of purchasing expensive GW paint racks.

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users