Painting Crimson Fists

Tyriks

Crimson Fists players, how do you wash your models?  My paint scheme is Kantor Blue with some light gray, and the blue is so dark that washing it with nuln oil like I would with my BA seems pointless.  Maybe it's just bad lighting but I can't see a difference after washing.  Should I just skip this step?

EDIT: For that matter, what colors do you guys highlight with?  

I base with Kantor Blue, of course.  then I wash with Drakenhof Nightshade (but Nuln Oil works too, depending on the effect you like) and highlight with Teclis Blue (if you prefer to drybrush, use Imrik Blue) then a glaze of Guilliman Blue.

If you prefer PP colors, base with Exile Blue, layer with Cygnar base and do final highlights with Cygnar Blue Highlight.

Basecoat: Kantor Blue
Wash: Thinned Chaos Black.  The Blue should turn very dark and the armour recesses darker still.
ReBase: Kantor Blue. Leave the areas that should be very dark in the dark shade and keep the recesses in the near black.
1st Highlight: 50\50 Kantor Blue and Teclis Blue
2nd Highlight: Teclis Blue
Final Highlight: Dot highlights of Fenris Grey.

Job done. :)

I base Kantor Blue, wash Nuln Oil, then rebase Kantor blue. Rebasing really makes a huge difference. For highlights I now use Temple Guard Blue, which was suggested on the 30th annivarsary model. What I like about Temple Guard blue is it is shot through with green, which brings the blue of the CF towards Prussian Blue. 

Prussian Blue is the blue in the most famous art work from Rouge Trader; however Prussian blue cannot be done in Acrylic because it reacts with acrylic medium. Kantor Blue itself is a form of Navy Blue, and is very dark. 

One dude I know doesn't wash, but paints super thin lines with Chaos Black. It is indeed very sharp. I've also seen on Youtube painters (much better than I) using oil based washes. 

EDIT I went and did some googling on Navy Blue, and it was originally a dark indigo dye shade. However to combat fading, over time militaries have made Navy Blue darker and darker. Now, for example in Canada, their navy considers Navy Blue to be a shade of black. So finding Kantor Blue to be super dark may be a natural outgrowth of the changing qualities of Navy Blue. For what its worth though, I think the predominate blue on the cover of Rouge Trader is Prussian Blue, and that is a relatively unobtainable color for modeling.

I love PP Exhile blue, that's what my Tau army is painted in (my take on Farsight Enclaves-because Tau blood is blue).

The main reason I don't do a Crimson Fist army is because I already have a blue army (my Tau).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, bit late to reply, but here's my formula:

Crimson Fist Blue Armour

• Kantor Blue base
  • Drakenhof Nightshade shade
  • Kantor Blue base (on raised areas)
  • Alaitoc Blue layer (highlight)
  • Hoeth Blue layer (highlight)
  • Blue Horrer edge (highlight)
  • Guilliman Blue (glaze)

Crimson Fists, erm, Crimson Fists

• Khorne Red base
  • Carronberg Crimson shade
  • Evil Suns Scarlet layer (highlight)
  • Wild Rider Red layer (highlight)

Results

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Bob_Hunk/Miniatures%20-%20Imperial%20Fists/Fisto654_zpsebctkrfy.jpg

I hope that's helpful. :)

Wow Bob Hunk those look great. I've not heard of using a glaze before. How does that work?

Thank you. happy.png Yes, as Ulfgrim said they're kinda of like a shade, sort of a thin and near transparent paint with just a hint of colour pigment in. They work really well to blend the highlights together and unify them with the base colour, giving the whole model a more 'vibrant' look. I've only started using them in the last year or two on my Crimson Fists and Imperial Fists, but I'm glad I did. :)

Archived