Liberalia Martiale 2017 - THE IRON GAUNTLET

Olis

I, Draakur, of the Desolators take up the Iron Gauntlet Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge number 1 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Dark Gods steal my essence from its rightful place with the Emperor should I fail.

Let's do this.

I honestly have no idea how well I'll get on with this, but it's definitely a good source of drive for my new homebrew BA successors!

I, Halandaar, of the Sanguine Eagles take up the Iron Gauntlet Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge 1 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Black Rage take me if I fail. 

IA link to follow.

Ah want the hell.

I, Sete, of the Grey Talons Chapter take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge 1 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if i fail! Grey Talons

Edited by Sete

Gaaaah, I thought I saw 17th MAY, not March for the start of the first challenge... Right, I'll have to get my writing gloves on since Dosjetka threw me the Iron Gauntlet... Right then, I think I'll actually end up not going with a Chaos Warband as I'd told Dosjetka, but I may instead work on a Salamanders or a White Scar successor, both rather different from their parent chapters (I hope) - is there one you'd rather see?

Also, I'll be aiming at completing all challenges, though possibly only Bronze level ;)

Finally, will a Shadow Wars gang be acceptable instead of the Kill Team? They'll be the same models as we know, but in a new system, so how many models would have to be included?

Eh, I'm amused. I, MysticTemplar, of the Sodality of the Wardens of Mercury take up the Iron Gauntlet Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge 1 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

Index Custodes: The Wardens of Mercury

Edited by MysticTemplar

This is exactly the motivation I need to write my IA/IT.

Renegades count, yes? I am not quite sure whether they will be officially Traitoris or not (it will, of course, depend on the details).

If so...

I, bloodhound23, of the Violent Gods take up the Iron Gauntlet Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge number 1 and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May I endure my just deserts should I fail.

Edited by bloodhound23

but I may instead work on a Salamanders or a White Scar successor, both rather different from their parent chapters (I hope) - is there one you'd rather see?

White Scars, maybe? We don't see many of either so it's a toss up, really.

Finally, will a Shadow Wars gang be acceptable instead of the Kill Team? They'll be the same models as we know, but in a new system, so how many models would have to be included?

I will tentatively allow this. Just don't wander too far off the beaten path, eh? If things go well and Shadow Wars is broadly acceptable (to be later agreed upon between myself, Dos and the other Liber Mods), then we might officially include it in later Iron Gauntlets.

This is exactly the motivation I need to write my IA/IT.

Renegades count, yes? 

:thumbsup:

Edited by Olis

Hi, I´m new here and I really want to join the Iron Gauntlet but I have a few questions about it.

1. This project is a totally new challenge for me, so I don´t know if I can give constructive critics to others, especially 20 times. Should I just start with challenge 2 then? Or maybe you         know how to compensate that/know how i could achieve that.

2. English is not my mothertongue so writing a 3000+ story might look like written from a gradeschooler:whistling: is this ok?

3. I have a background for my Chapter but...let´s say it is using a blank space in the official lore which could change the whole story, depending on what GW is planing in the future. Am     I allowed to use them for the challenges, because I am currently working on them and it would be nice, or should I "change" the background in the direction of "noone know where         they come from"? Or would it be better to do something completely different?

Thanks ahead,

joschlumpf

Go for WS, I'm doing one aswell.

Great question about Shadow Wars.

Hopefully we can

but I may instead work on a Salamanders or a White Scar successor, both rather different from their parent chapters (I hope) - is there one you'd rather see?

White Scars, maybe? We don't see many of either so it's a toss up, really.

Actually I've been thinking about both of the chapters, and I've actually got more ideas for my salamanders successor, sorry ^^

I will tentatively allow this. Just don't wander too far off the beaten path, eh? If things go well and Shadow Wars is broadly acceptable (to be later agreed upon between myself, Dos and the other Liber Mods), then we might officially include it in later Iron Gauntlets.

Okay thanks - in any case I think you can wait until the game is actually out before making a decision since it's due for April :)

I'm going to be honest, I'm legitimately rooting for Gray Talons and possibly hoping for a bit too much from The Violent Gods. Every other entry has their own unique takes (Still praying we get loyalists Death Guard -cough-eternalsentinels-cough-) on Space Marines buuuut I'm making my bias clear. 

Part of me wonders if it's a tad strange I'm more interested in other entries than my own.

Has any other entries grabbed anyone's personal attention and/or favor?

Edit: As it stands, The Void Brotherhood is a homebrew I strongly suggest people read. Good God-Emperor almighty, that was a brief but heart-wrenching adventure. PHRAAAAAKMAAAAAT!

Edited by Badass_Spaz

Brothers, I am gratified that the level of involvement so far seems high for each of you. Comments and critique are what makes the world Liber go round. Also, I must urge you all to consider entering the Brotherhood of the Angels by GMB.

Finally, I notice that roughly half of our entrants so far have begun work on their entries... which leaves the other half bringing up the rear, at the moment. While we are only one measly week into the IRON GAUNTLET, do not get complacent, brothers. Seven weeks to go until Challenge the First ends. 

Question:

I don't collect minis or even play the game but I'd be willing to commission some art for my entry.

Am I allowed to participate as well and skip Challenge 2 and 3 or would that not be true to the IRON GAUNTLETs spirit?

If so, I'll concentrate on the BotA (though I'd participate as well, regardless of the outcome ^^)

You don't have to complete all of the challenges if you don't want to Kelborn as Olis said in the OP. I know I myself will be trying to get all of them done but Olis only asks that we try our best and push ourselves onwards.

Good to see more people taking part in the challenge. May the Emperor guide your hand.

I, Coldfyre, of the Tormentors Chapter, successors of the Red Spectres in the lineage of Rogal Dorn, take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge The First and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor and Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail. Edited by coldfyre

Thank you, Dizzyeye. Might have slipped that part.

Well, if that's the case:

I, Kelborn, of the [project name: Imperial Sons], successors of the Ultramarines in the lineage of Roboute Guiliman, take up your challenges! I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete Challenge The First (and those which might follow) and submit it to the Liber before the deadline. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

And may Brother Argos oversee my punishment while enjoying a drink and popcorn.

Hi, I´m new here and I really want to join the Iron Gauntlet but I have a few questions about it.

1. This project is a totally new challenge for me, so I don´t know if I can give constructive critics to others, especially 20 times. Should I just start with challenge 2 then? Or maybe you         know how to compensate that/know how i could achieve that.

2. English is not my mothertongue so writing a 3000+ story might look like written from a gradeschooler:whistling: is this ok?

3. I have a background for my Chapter but...let´s say it is using a blank space in the official lore which could change the whole story, depending on what GW is planing in the future. Am     I allowed to use them for the challenges, because I am currently working on them and it would be nice, or should I "change" the background in the direction of "noone know where         they come from"? Or would it be better to do something completely different?

Thanks ahead,

joschlumpf

A very warm welcome to you, brother! My deepest apologies for initially missing your post, but I will address it right here and now. :)

1) In regard to giving critique to others, it does not really have to be a full blown review - you could simply say that you may like something or dislike something and then let the author know why. However, if you would rather skip the first challenge (or any other), then that is your choice and no-one elses. Do what you can, although I do urge you and your fellow entrants to push yourselves. ^_^

2) Do not worry brother, many members of our forums only know English as their second (or third) language, so expecting you or anyone else to be perfect when native speakers often butcher the language anyway is a little unfair. Just do the best you can and, if you're looking for it, ask for pointers about grammar and spelling.  

3) It's up to you what material you use. That said, what you are thinking of using sounds just fine as it is. :tu:

If you need advice or have any questions, then absolutely feel free to message me or ask here. We are all here to help. 

Question:

I don't collect minis or even play the game but I'd be willing to commission some art for my entry.

Am I allowed to participate as well and skip Challenge 2 and 3 or would that not be true to the IRON GAUNTLETs spirit?

If so, I'll concentrate on the BotA (though I'd participate as well, regardless of the outcome ^^)

As Dizzyeye has already stated, you may skip any challenge - although bear in mind that the highest accolades will not be available to any who do not complete each and every challenge. Do what you can, brother, but push yourself. It is better to try and fail than to never try at all. :wink:

The roster in the OP has been updated with our newer entrants and some topic links have been added also. 

Again, I must say you are all doing us proud by taking part and getting into the spirit of things. The increase in activity in the Liber is such a lovely thing to see. Bonus Internet Cookies Points for those of you who grace non-Gauntlet threads with your advice and critique, too. (We aren't using a points based system but, hey, what the hell.)

Wow. i didn't even see this. Definitely joining in. I need this to help me finish painting.

I, Evz, vow to at least write a story, write 1,000 words, and if health permits, get at least a 2,000 word story and finish painting up a Kill Team!

Void Vermilion is my Chapter. Where would we post the stories? The fan fiction subsection?

Edited by Evz

Just want to echo the sentiment that it's awesome seeing the Liber humming along like this :) My presence here has been transient over the almost two decades I've been interested in the hobby, but this is unquestionably my home forum here on the BnC - does the heart good to see things so busy :)

Wow. i didn't even see this. Definitely joining in. I need this to help me finish painting.

I, Evz, vow to at least write a story, write 1,000 words, and if health permits, get at least a 2,000 word story and finish painting up a Kill Team!

Void Vermilion is my Chapter. Where would we post the stories? The fan fiction subsection?

If you are entering the first Challenge, then you need to write 1,000 words on the History and Origins of your selected Chapter. Seeing as you already wrote that part in your article, then either expanding on what you have so far or working on another section should work fine.

As for stories (The Final Challenge), you may either place them within your current thread for sake of continuity or start a new thread in the Fan Fiction subforum (where such threads will need to be titled and tagged correctly). 

Just want to echo the sentiment that it's awesome seeing the Liber humming along like this :smile.: My presence here has been transient over the almost two decades I've been interested in the hobby, but this is unquestionably my home forum here on the BnC - does the heart good to see things so busy :smile.:

If it could be guaranteed that this sort of turnout could happen on a yearly basis, then the Iron Gauntlet could very well be making a return annually. Regardless, it makes me happy too. ^_^

If you are entering the first Challenge, then you need to write 1,000 words on the History and Origins of your selected Chapter. Seeing as you already wrote that part in your article, then either expanding on what you have so far or working on another section should work fine.

As for stories (The Final Challenge), you may either place them within your current thread for sake of continuity or start a new thread in the Fan Fiction subforum (where such threads will need to be titled and tagged correctly). 

Just want to echo the sentiment that it's awesome seeing the Liber humming along like this :smile.: My presence here has been transient over the almost two decades I've been interested in the hobby, but this is unquestionably my home forum here on the BnC - does the heart good to see things so busy :smile.:

If it could be guaranteed that this sort of turnout could happen on a yearly basis, then the Iron Gauntlet could very well be making a return annually. Regardless, it makes me happy too. :happy.:

So just build 1,000 (3,000 with a story) words on top what I've written already? Yeah I can totally do that.