To the Bitter End - The Badab War: Chaplain WIP (2/29)

http://i.imgur.com/SwVkTqj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uXLLZ3d.jpg

And who are you, to question our honour? What right do you have to decree I bow low to you and repent for my 'sins'?

What do you know of loyalty, you who have never truly fought for what was yours? What do you know of betrayal, you who have felt the mortal wound of treachery? What do you know of loss, you who burned our kingdom and left our people to the slavering hunger of dogs?

Our honour was loyalty. Not you or your bureaucratic empire, but the oaths we made and the duty we were given. Our banner stood before the very Gates of Eternity. We held the blade of judgment to all who threatened mankind. We held lordship over the Badab sector and thrived where all others would falter. We stood as the wardens of the Ruin Storm and weathered the rain. And for that, you would murder us and our very memory wiped from existence?

For the Tyrant I fought and for the Throne of Thorns I offer my life. To hell with you and your false Empero-

- Final words, Battle Brother Ichoma Dentath of the Astral Claws before his summary execution

Our Honour was Loyalty

F
or more than five thousand years, the Astral Claws stood shoulder to shoulder with the finest of the Imperium's warriors, their deeds legendary and their honour unquestioned. Loyal to the Emperor's throne, they exemplified the ideals of the Adeptus Astartes, strong and fearless as the golden lion of their heraldry. It was their glorious record of exemplary service that saw their standard placed in the Hall of Heroes at the Eternity Gate and won them the singular honor of overall command to the Maelstrom Warderers. And above them all was Lufgt Huron, a true hero of his age, believed to be second only to legends of ancient past. The Astral Claws watched over the Maelstrom and paid the blood price of vigilance. When brothers fell and were drawn away, they remained ever watchful. When the caress of madness and corruption spilled into reality, they remained ever watchful. When their pleas for aid were met with not but silence, they alone remained ever watchful. Fate is a cruel and pitiless wheel that spins the thread of an eternal tragedy. Perhaps Fate might have written a different path if another had sat on the throne of Badab, but it was Lufgt Huron who took the throne of thorns and assumed the mantle of eternal guardian to the Ruin Storm. The Astral Claws stood at the teetering precipice of annihilation, of failure in their duty to the Emperor. In pride, the Astral Claws sought to defy the hand of Fate. In desperation, they did everything to uphold their loyalty and sowed the roots of their own damnation.

Rains of Badab Primaris

913 M.41

Something was wrong.

He ran even as he cursed under his breath, bolter held close to his chest, ceramite boots wading through mud and sewer muck in a naked rush for the next turn. His brothers were with him, though in truth there had been few of them left even before they made it back to Badab Primaris. Still the runic symbols of his helmet's display flashed the runic display of his squad over his right eye. Twenty sigils of Tactical Cohort Squad Haakon, twenty loyal warriors of the Tyrant... and twelve of those sigils were now dulled out, their lives and deeds of honour memorialized by little more than a recognizing that they dead. Their gene-seeds unrecovered, their names unwritten in the Archives of the Forlorn. In the distance he could still hear the resonating boom of the Sacrosanct Bell's toll to offer mourning to those lost souls in the far distance from the highest tower of the Palace of Thorns.

That alone was to be his comfort, the elegy of the bell and the knowledge that he would be joining his brothers soon.

"Cylca."

The sound of his own name was enough to drag the Space Marine from melancholy, drift on heel as he darted into the branching path of the sewer tunnel and slammed his back to the wall. He knew the command without it even being given, the same routine check for ammunition one that had been played out for the past four hours. How strange it was to have known this entire war without worry for ammunition to now count every bolt round with a blessing in the final hours of their dying home world.

"18 rounds, Sergeant. No spares."

"One spare." A familiar voice cut in a fresh bolt magazine was tossed his way. Cycla caught the sickle clip and thumbed it his hand lightly. With a small and weary smile he offered a nod to Ichoma, his closest brother returning the curt gesture with that scarred MK IV helm.

Forty-eight bolt rounds. Cycla offered a small vow that he would take the lives of twenty-four Star-Phantoms before the Sacrosanct Bell tolled for his loss as well. For the last four hours Tactical Cohort Squad Haakon and their kindred squads had been fighting a losing battle with the Star Phantoms in the sewer caverns, defending every passage and line that they could, laying down their lives in the muck and mud to keep the invading forces away from the Defense grids that lay beneath the Palace of Thrones.

But something was wrong.

In the past hour the ground beneath them had begun to lurch, not the deafening rupture of orbital bombardment or detonating structures above them, but rather something far deeper below them where the atomic generators of the hive cities still lay. Even now the earth shook beneath their feet, sewer water quivering in chaotic ripple patterns across the brackish surface.

For a moment, while he time to recover his breathing and what remained of his squad took stock of their ammunition, Brother Cycla looked upwards, the ceiling above them cracked and buckled to reveal the tortured sky above.

Heaven was burning, clouds of bruised and tortured sky obscuring all notion of sunlight, a storm brewing a deluge of torrential rain and cobwebbed lightning... Even amidst such a hurricane, their beautiful city burned and crumbled against the wrath of the Imperium, everything they had bled for, everything they had fought for with tooth and nail was brought to ruin and ashes...

He closed his eyes even as the rain battered against his silver helm, emerald lenses staring unblinking into the weeping sky of Badab Primaris.

He would die here... They all would.

The question now was a matter of when and how.

With a deep breath he opened his eyes once more and looked to his squad, surveying over each of them and lastly to his sergeant. Veteran sergeant Haakon returned his gaze for a moment, no gesture or words between them, yet the quiet passing of time was enough for them.

"We need to stall them here." Sergeant Haakon began to speak, relaying the digital feed of the sewer system to the rest of the squad, his words rushed with little time for them left to remain here, lest they be caught off guard. Even now, as Cylca peered around the corner he could see no sign of the enemy, but he could hear their boots stomping through the mud towards them.

"Veteran Squad Sjaal are setting up explosives at the joining passages up ahead, but they need time to reach the point and set the krak charges. We will stay here and stall the enemy for as long as we can."

"I will stay."

Every Space Marine, including Cycla turned to face Ichoma, the warrior standing in his baroque power, bolter crunching to his shoulder plate in a readied position. "With the confining space of the corridors, there's too many of us to make any proper use of our fire power. Our best bet would be to maintain singular sentry at this corner and the opposite to maximize the overwatch field. More than two would simply be a waste of man power. With respect, sergeant, the rest of you should move forward to take defensive positions further on or meet up with Squad Sjaal."

In silence, Cylca looked down at his hand, peering at the fresh sickle magazine that his brother had offered him, staring at the exposed bolt casings as though they might offer him some form of parting wisdom.

"I will stay with him, sergeant." This time it was Cycla spoke up, looking over to Ichoma for a moment who seemed rather stunned. "Like you said.. Two would maximize the killing field. You can't be at two corners, right?"

Without a word, Ichoma offered another silent nod of thanks to his brother, the two warriors looking to their sergeant now for some form of confirmation or refusal... The obvious death wish was not denied.

--------

Four. He had killed four Star Phantoms, a far cry for what he had hoped but even as the flashing runes warned him that he had expended the last of his ammunition he felt no sense of shame or lost pride. Bringing the smoking weapon to his forehead for a moment he offered up a silent thanks to the machine spirit before tossing it into the muck where the weapon disappeared beneath the brackish water. Drawing his combat sword, Cycla spared a glance over to Ichoma, his brother fallen silent after the second return of volley fire when a bolt round had caught the warrior in the eye lens and sent him down with a quarter of his head missing, slumped unmoving against the wall. Ichoma had taken six of the Star Phantoms down, and Cycla made a new vow that he would at least meet his brother's tally. He could hear them moving along the passage now, cautiously as they had no idea he had already run out of ammunition. Again he stared at the sky above through the broken ruin of a sewer roofing, the rain still pouring down from the sky above as a mother that weeped for the murder of her children. His breathing was ragged, his muscles ached, his wounds searing... yet it all seemed to bleed away in the rain, the water soothing him even though it never came into contact with his skin.

He would die here, that much was certain. It is a death that is inevitable. But it is a death that that he had chosen. On his own terms. In his own way. Sword in hand. Fighting to the bitter end.

Battle Brother Cycla of the Astral Claws

Legionary Tactical Cohort Squad Haakon

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, sub-terranean sewer system

Subject announced K.I.A. from close-ranged bolter fire

He died with his blade broken and his vow kept.

http://i.imgur.com/WSC93xa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y4GbMiE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XGnkEvh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/roFIoMN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pc3iu5D.jpg

Edited by Noctus Cornix
Tags edited

Oh. Oh oh oh. Oh oh oh oh oh. This is an unexpected but very welcome blast from the past.

More, please. :tu:

Blast from the past? Do tell.

You tagged the thread with 'Futility'.

...nice.

Well, let's be honest. Most, if not all of them will be dead by the end anyway ;)

Awesome, just awesome. This board needs more Astral Claws.

I whole-heartedly agree! Edited by Noctus Cornix

A long while ago yourself, myself, Brother Heinrich, and Vazzy were thinking of doing a Secessionist-only Badab War joint project but it never got past the initial planning stage and a couple of models for some of us. Back then you had already picked the Astral Claws so it's nice to see some results after so many years. :P

A long while ago yourself, myself, Brother Heinrich, and Vazzy were thinking of doing a Secessionist-only Badab War joint project but it never got past the initial planning stage and a couple of models for some of us. Back then you had already picked the Astral Claws so it's nice to see some results after so many years. :tongue.:

Oh, God that was so long ago I completely forgot. Now that you mention it, though I remember. Yeah, I've been holding onto those project ideas I've had for a long time... Hell, this is my first real project in a year or two.. I really needed a project to focus my creativity on so I just decided to pull the trigger on this one. Can't say I'm not happy with what I made to start.

Yes. Just... yes. Beautiful work.

Thanks, mate. Means a lot to me. :happy.:

A long while ago yourself, myself, Brother Heinrich, and Vazzy were thinking of doing a Secessionist-only Badab War joint project but it never got past the initial planning stage and a couple of models for some of us. Back then you had already picked the Astral Claws so it's nice to see some results after so many years. :P

Man, I'd forgotten all about that. Interesting....

Also dude, I already told you but I really think you've outdone yourself this time. That armor is awesome my dude.

http://i.imgur.com/d6DcbjX.png

Tell me now... Is there a man among you here? Is there no one who will stand out and truly fight? Is there not one among your wretched Chapter? Is there no one who values courage over life?

Many have come to bring us low and each have fallen to our blades. We tore the wings of the Fire Hawks. We snapped the tail of the Red Scorpions. We broken the spine of the Howling Griffons. We took the head of the Fire Angels. And now you come to finish us off when when we are wounded and limping? You may try, little wraiths but you will die all the same. 

I am the Lion's pride. Hear me roar. 

- Final words, Legio Champion Brother Courland of the Astral Claws

To Die with Pride

H
e had been denied his death. 

To die with pride, bolter in hand was all that Ichoma Dentath had wanted... He had even been so lucky as to have that perfect moment, fighting alongside his closest brother Cycla there in the ruins of the subterranean sewerage systems, just to hold off the Star Phantom dogs for a few moments longer. What a death that would have been, and yet he had squandered that, it seemed.

How he remained alive was a mystery. A section at the right side of his skull was missing, the agonizing pain of that and the dozen other wounds he had sustained dulled into a merciful throb by pain inhibitors. He could see nothing for they had stolen his site, or perhaps at least from the eye that he had left. He could not move, arms bound behind his back, feet done in similar fashion to force him in a permanent kneeling position like some sinner seeking redemption. That was worth a laugh, even if the pain wasn't exactly worth it...

He could hear at least, the distant thrum of a ship's plasma engines growling in the distance like some predatory beast, a sound that was not welcoming to him in that moment. So they had taken him, it seemed... to extract information for who knows what reason. The Emperor might... but Ichoma had long forgotten any sense of prayer to that name. For decades he had been silent to heir pleas for aid, why would he answer now? 

Footsteps in the distance, two the familiar crash of ceramite boots, warriors of the Adeptus Astartes. The other, far weaker, human. Judging from the weight and stride they were of strong bearing, average build and wearing light carapace armour. An interrogator? Inquisition... 

No sooner did the doors to his cell open did his spit at the estimated location of the human intruder, that acidic bile fizzling as it hit the barrier field that surrounded his confined space. 

Worth a shot, at least...

"Your attempt to kill a member of the Holy Ordos is noted," the human voice spoke, a woman, stern and seemingly unphased by the failed attempt on her life.

"Can you blame me for trying?" Ichoma offered the Inquisitor he could not see an ugly smile, his right cheek little more than tortured sinew beneath a gouged eye socket.

"Yes."

"Fair enough."

Without a further word there was the familiar crack of bolter stocks meeting ceramite pauldrons, bolters no doubt raised at his head for any further sign of... lacking cooperation. The threat was obvious even if it went unspoken. 

"I am Interrogator Prime Allesandra Dellian of the most Holy Ordo and I address you as an agent of the God Emperor."

There was a small snort of jest from the prisoner, but it went unheeded.

"I speak to Brother Ichoma Dentath of the Astral Claws, correct?"

"Wrong."

"Illuminate me then."

"I am Battle Brother Ichoma Dentath, loyal knight of the Tyrant's Legion to my dying breath and formerly of the Astral Claws. I have no delusions of my place here. If I am alive then that means my Chapter is dead and my home world is no doubt already ashes. 5 billion loyal subjects and a Chapter with as many glorious honours as the Primogenitor chapters of old. All dead. All ashes. Ad Mortem."

"Dead traitors." This came from one of the two astartes that flanked the Interrogator Prime, the Montsegman accent clear in his voice. Red Hunters. Ichoma knew not to argue with them. 

"Why am I alive?" There was the important question. The Star Phantoms were hardly the merciful type, that much was already well known from their callous disregard for 'collateral damage'. Had they not some formal request from the Inquisition, he would be happily dead with his brothers in the ruins of his home. 

"To cleanse your soul." 

There was a pause, as though there was to be some following line to reveal this as some hilarious joke at his expense. That never came. 

"You have information," Allesandra continued when no response came, her voice as smooth and calm as it had been since she first entered the cell. "The Holy Ordos require this information, as we do from any of your kin that we have taken into custody. The heresy of Lufgt Huron, the one you call 'Tyrant', and the Astral Claws is one of unknown origins to us. In exchange for your cooperation, you will be assured a death with less pain than what your interrogations will guarantee and you may help to prevent such heresies from happening again. This small act of redemption may act as a small atonement for the sin that stains your soul when we send your life to the Emperor."

Another pause, one that found itself cut by Ichoma's grim and mirthless laughter, a laughter filled with pain and disbelief. Whatever effect this might have had on the Interrogator Prime or the Astartes that watched him, he would not know, nor would he care. "You will not comply?"

"I am Battle Brother Ichoma Dentath, lion of the astral pride now extinct, loyal knight of the Tyrant to my dying breath."

"Then we will make you talk." That enough would give Ichoma cause to give another ugly smile.

"You may try."

Battle Brother Ichoma of the Astral Claws
Legionary Tactical Cohort Squad Haakon
Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, sub-terranean sewer system
Subject announced K.I.A. Bolt round to the skull

He died in the singular pride that he pushed the Interrogator too far before she could break him. 

http://i.imgur.com/FTW5EFI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BlSOOSE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4PRmb9U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FQRuiC9.jpg

pict-feed image of Battle Brothers Ichoma and Cycla together for the last time.

http://i.imgur.com/Y2Pg7Xh.jpg

Does the Hyena know? I'm sure he'd be proud.

I was actually thinking something similar. Brings back memories of the LXII Cohort.

Ironic that your new project is something of a resurrection of an unfulfilled collaboration, so is mine...

Man, though. The Astral Claws will always number among the prettiest of schemes for me. Great work on both, especially the restrained use of mud on the bases, and the highlights on the eyes. There's something... different, when compared to the typical eye highlights, that makes them feel more real to me.

Pride in Colours

http://i.imgur.com/8cSfnOg.jpg

Displayed here is one of the many works of loyal subject Tyleraus Mengale (nurgling6688), the famous or perhaps infamous propaganda artist of Badab Primaris. Recognized for his patriotism and wide-spread morality posters, Mengale was awarded by the Tyrant Huron himself with a Medallion of the Badab Star, a rare and vaunted honour few mortal subjects were granted. Lord Huron himself spoke in great favor of Mengale, stating that he was "An inspiration to all loyal subject of the Throne." These portraits depicted here are displayed with the consent of artist Mengale prior to heavy engagements surrounding the capital planet. Although there is no certain proof of Tyleraus' fate, it is assumed he perished alongside 5 billion souls loyal to the Tyrant, may their souls see safe passage to the great beyond...

And just to be sure that that you guys know that I'm not joking about this project.... Here's a few WIPs

http://i.imgur.com/jnVoZx0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Xjch0B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qVW100a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z7oJa2D.jpg

Does the Hyena know? I'm sure he'd be proud.

I was actually thinking something similar. Brings back memories of the LXII Cohort.

Ironic that your new project is something of a resurrection of an unfulfilled collaboration, so is mine...

Man, though. The Astral Claws will always number among the prettiest of schemes for me. Great work on both, especially the restrained use of mud on the bases, and the highlights on the eyes. There's something... different, when compared to the typical eye highlights, that makes them feel more real to me.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the Hyena in a long while. I assume he's doing alright and that means a lot to think he would approve of this so far. Ad for the eye highlights, I don't know what you mean... Because there are not :P

Must.. Resist.. The temptation of Badab. Seriously amazing work there! I've considered doing Carcharodons/Fire Hawks during the Badab Era quite a few times now and this does not make it easier for me :biggrin.:

Fire Hawks would be awesome. Rarely get to see any of them. 

Glorius, just glorius. I love the individuality that you put into your models (like Heathens did and M2C or Rohr as he is now known as), its probably my favourite part of your models.

Also must resist temptation to restart my Astral Claws.....

http://i.imgur.com/d6DcbjX.png

Onwards!

Onwards, Jackals! Onwards you craven dogs!  The Tyrant is not done with you yet! Badab is not done with you yet! You serve the Throne of Thorns and I am its Lion! Push forwards! Grind your bodies beneath their treads if you must! Throw yourselves into their blades if you be cowards! Any who run will answer to my wrath and I will grant you a fate worse than any death your enemies have to offer!

- Arch-Centurion  Alva of the Council of Thorns, 

http://i.imgur.com/4gh3oOY.jpg

Holy. Hell. That is beautiful.

I mean... I'd say something constructive... but that's as close to perfect as I've seen. What bit are you using for his claw? I recognize it, I swear, but can't seem to place it.

I can be an idiot sometimes. Thought that was Huron's claw, but then thought it wasn't but it is, isn't it?

Edited by The Psycho

Holy. Hell. That is beautiful.

I mean... I'd say something constructive... but that's as close to perfect as I've seen. What bit are you using for his claw? I recognize it, I swear, but can't seem to place it.

I can be an idiot sometimes. Thought that was Huron's claw, but then thought it wasn't but it is, isn't it?

Yes... It's Huron's claw. :teehee:  Sans the lightning talons. Fluff-wise I'm going to call it a Nemean Pattern Power claw, a unique artifice of the Astral Claws and their techno-artisans. The Ghost Razors is simply the most prestigious relic of the Chapter that all other Nemean Pattern Power claws come from.

Much appreciated, brother. I do, however need to go over the scalemail tabard again with some greenstuff around the top. It's a bit more difficult to see from the picture but it's not my cleanest work, that's for sure...

Not quite done yet, but here's an update on my first Retaliator. As you all know, comments and criticism is always appreciated! Hope you like it!

http://i.imgur.com/EJfDsPZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YN6CInJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0QDxss3.jpg