What to buy next?

cmutuba4

I have playing 40k for the past 5 or 6 years and have pretty substantial Necron and Ork armies. Recently though I finally started my sisters army which I have wanted to do since I started playing the game.  I have listed below what I have initially bought to start my sisters army but I was curious with what I should be buying next. Of course I know I need more Battle Sisters but what are some other units I should branch out to. I am not looking for super competitive stuff as the people I play with play more for creating a good match rather than blowing the opponent off the table.

St. Celestine

10 Battle Sisters

1 Rhino

1 Exorcist

I have playing 40k for the past 5 or 6 years and have pretty substantial Necron and Ork armies. Recently though I finally started my sisters army which I have wanted to do since I started playing the game.  I have listed below what I have initially bought to start my sisters army but I was curious with what I should be buying next. Of course I know I need more Battle Sisters but what are some other units I should branch out to. I am not looking for super competitive stuff as the people I play with play more for creating a good match rather than blowing the opponent off the table.

St. Celestine

10 Battle Sisters

1 Rhino

1 Exorcist

obviously more battle sisters.  a squad of Seraphim to run with St. Celestine, and some Dominions would be a good start.  4 melta guns that can ignore cover via their act of faith? Yes please.  Also it is MANDATORY you get sactious imperious for each squad of sisters you have.  it allows you to re-roll misses and use your act of faith twice instead of once.

obviously more battle sisters.  a squad of Seraphim to run with St. Celestine, and some Dominions would be a good start.  4 melta guns that can ignore cover via their act of faith? Yes please.  Also it is MANDATORY you get sactious imperious for each squad of sisters you have.  it allows you to re-roll misses and use your act of faith twice instead of once.

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the Dominion squad closely and like their potential. Would you recommend running them in a rhino or allying with someone and getting a drop pod?

Also it is MANDATORY you get sactious imperious for each squad of sisters you have.  it allows you to re-roll misses and use your act of faith twice instead of once.

A Simulacrum Imperialis gives you a second shot at faith, but no re-rolls. They'll add up pretty fast if you insist on spending 10 points a squad for a one-per-game chance of getting preferred enemy and if they get shot up you get no faith at all.

Though the models do look nice in squads.

In terms of expanding an army decide if you want a blob squad or not (a matter of playstyle) which will in turn determine how many bolter sisters you need.

Beyond that enough models for a couple of mechanised dominion squads with meltas, compulsory battle sisters, optional seraphim, and at least one additional exorcist.

You'll probably want at least four heavy flamers which will give you a choice between arming battle sisters or running the flamer retributors. You may also find heavy bolters worth a punt, and multi-meltas less so (but handy for the apoc formation). No need for stormbolters.

You will need at least one more HQ if you decide to run the rising storm detachment at some point. A priest works (and you'll probably want to field one at some point anyway), though a counts-as coteaz is the better choice.

I only ever consider putting Simulacrums in Heavy Bolter Retributor squads and large (10+) battle Sister squads. They're the only units likely to survive long enough to make use of them.

But meltaguns and transports are something every Sisters player needs more of :) and I'll a huge fan of Seraphim, even if they aren't the most amazing on the tabletop. They do provide some extra mobility (via deep strike) and pack a surprising punch if you can get your shooting off without getting killed first. And they have Hit and Run, but other than that they can't do that much in close combat

Edit: and priests. And Exorcists. At least 2, really.

I only ever consider putting Simulacrums in Heavy Bolter Retributor squads and large (10+) battle Sister squads. They're the only units likely to survive long enough to make use of them.

But meltaguns and transports are something every Sisters player needs more of smile.png and I'll a huge fan of Seraphim, even if they aren't the most amazing on the tabletop. They do provide some extra mobility (via deep strike) and pack a surprising punch if you can get your shooting off without getting killed first. And they have Hit and Run, but other than that they can't do that much in close combat

Edit: and priests. And Exorcists. At least 2, really.

What allows Seraphim to Deep Strike? They don't seem to have to "Deep Strike" special rule in the digidex

They're Jump Units. Page 65 of the rule book says that 'Jump units have the Bulky and Deep Strike special rules.'

I would suggest heavy flamethrowers, either a Command Squad with five, or a Retributor Squad with four, (with a chance of getting Rending). If you can get or make one or more, I also recommend Repressors for transport. For the price of two Rhinos you get a dozer blade, stormbolter, heavy flamethrower, front AV of 13, Shield of Faith, and the ability for up to eight models to fire out of the vehicle without dismounting.

I've been having good luck with a Command Squad with five heavy flamethrowers in a Repressor. Short range, but most squads just melt away from it. I even took out three Termies with it. (Of course, the two remaining Termies tore my poor Repressor to shreds in revenge. Chainfists versus AV 10 just aren't very pretty.cry.gif)

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the Dominion squad closely and like their potential. Would you recommend running them in a rhino or allying with someone and getting a drop pod?

They FAQed that out of the game, so no more sisters in drop pods.

(which is a shame as sisters in pods was an actual official list at one point)

If you're not after super competitive and like unique flavourful things, a couple of Penitent Engines always look cool on the table- and they make mince meat of necrons...well, mince parts...trash em? Make immortals very mortal.

They're Jump Units. Page 65 of the rule book says that 'Jump units have the Bulky and Deep Strike special rules.'

I would suggest heavy flamethrowers, either a Command Squad with five, or a Retributor Squad with four, (with a chance of getting Rending). If you can get or make one or more, I also recommend Repressors for transport. For the price of two Rhinos you get a dozer blade, stormbolter, heavy flamethrower, front AV of 13, Shield of Faith, and the ability for up to eight models to fire out of the vehicle without dismounting.

I've been having good luck with a Command Squad with five heavy flamethrowers in a Repressor. Short range, but most squads just melt away from it. I even took out three Termies with it. (Of course, the two remaining Termies tore my poor Repressor to shreds in revenge. Chainfists versus AV 10 just aren't very pretty.cry.gif)

Ah, gotcha. I must have not seen that part when I was reading through it :3

If you're not after super competitive and like unique flavourful things, a couple of Penitent Engines always look cool on the table- and they make mince meat of necrons...well, mince parts...trash em? Make immortals very mortal.

I really love Penitent Engines. Awesome looking models. If you go with these, be aware that they're one of the worst kits to build

Immolators biggrin.png

You can't get enough of them msn-wink.gif

I second this. If you want to get rhino's too, you'd be better getting immolators to build as rhinos and have the immolator parts spare :)

^ Or try to get a hold of (or make your own) some repressor top bits too. Keep the Rhinos and just keep the Immolator and repressors tops detachable for when you want to field different things...or you're just that indecisive.

Archived