Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FMC Units vs Grounding Tests & Charges

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,192 posts

Models are charged at the model level.

"must attempt to move into base contact with as many opposing models in the enemy unit as possible with as many of their models as possible"

Units declare charges and declare target Units to charge.

But it's the models that charge other models.

The initial charger moves into contact with the closest enemy model.  After the first model is moved, other charging models can be moved.  If possible into base contact with an enemy model.

The section ends with;

"all the models in the charging unit <snip> having engaged as many enemy models as possible with as many charging models as possible."

It is totally possible to Charge an enemy Unit, where only a single Model is in Reach.

Why is there a difference about *how* the enemy models are out of Reach?  Does being out of Charge distance differ from being a Swooping FMC?  Both are out of Reach of charging models.

QUOTE (Seahawk @ Jul 30 2011, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

Kristoff

Kristoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,567 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stone Wardens (Black Templar)

Models are only Charged during Charge Moves.  Units have Charges Declared against them.  Note the different terms used between Declaring a Charge and Charge Move.

If all of an FMC unit's models are Swooping, the entire unit is unreachable.  If one is Gliding, then the unit is reachable by virtue of the lone model.

Same thing would apply if I have models which cannot reach the further models in the target unit because of the rolled dice.

You're still not answering my question. What is it in your argument that makes it such that the Swooping FMCs in the unit being charged are not themselves being charged?

You keep repeating that models are charged when charging models are moved during 'Charge Move' towards them, but this does not exclude the rest of the models in the unit from being charged, being part of a unit that has been charged.

Unless you're proposing that while the unit as a unit is charged, those specific models in their capacity as models are not charged?

Because otherwise it seems you're insisting that charges are performed at the model level, which the rules plainly don't agree with as evidenced by the overwhelming number of references to units being charged.

Well, I could repeat myself again, or let the Gentlemanloser say it for me. I should note, I did provide proper references for why I said what I said.  It is apparent that you did not bother to read the sections and "Note the different terms used between Declaring a Charge and Charge Move."

Models are charged at the model level.

"must attempt to move into base contact with as many opposing models in the enemy unit as possible with as many of their models as possible"

Units declare charges and declare target Units to charge.

But it's the models that charge other models.

The initial charger moves into contact with the closest enemy model.  After the first model is moved, other charging models can be moved.  If possible into base contact with an enemy model.

The section ends with;

"all the models in the charging unit <snip> having engaged as many enemy models as possible with as many charging models as possible."

It is totally possible to Charge an enemy Unit, where only a single Model is in Reach.

Why is there a difference about *how* the enemy models are out of Reach?  Does being out of Charge distance differ from being a Swooping FMC?  Both are out of Reach of charging models.

BT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpg
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

QUOTE (Sigismund)
"Zeal makes all things possible, duty makes all things simple"

QUOTE (Megavolt)
"They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,249 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Scions
This has circled long enough. I suggested contacting either GW or Forgeworld about this in the first reply as it was obvious that the topic would end up like this if no one did.

So, we're done here.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif
  • Toasterfree likes this

SigIWArmyButton_zpsac53a61d.jpgSigIWReportsButton_zps49cb430d.jpgSigIWCodexButton_zps422fa8d1.jpgSigIWFluffButton_zps0351b222.jpg
SigSWArmyButton_zps462b2667.jpgSigPGSButton_zpse6195715.jpgSigDATQuote_zps767e978e.jpgSig%20Donate%20Button_zpsaj0e0ibv.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users