CSM Head replacement / conversion options

awilden

Hi all,

I was wondering what would be some good options for some zombie-like head replacements for chaos marines, im putting together a few squads of the burning of prospero MKIII marines to use as deathguard havocs for my 40k death guard traitor legion army.

The theme i was hoping to acheive was a super heavy rusted/corroded ancient squad (still alive and kicking from the heresy, and still in their MKIII armour). And since i always model my sgts bare headed, i thought if they took the helmets off they would either be full skeletons, or withered and dried up mummy like bodies, being eaten away by nurgle rot for centuries.

I modelled up one squad sgt with i beleive it was a skull from a vamp count skeleton kit (may be an older kit i dont remember where i got it), and it seems to scale well. What would be a good recommendation, either GW bitz or third party that would look nice?

Thanks.

GW still do plastic a (now quite old) plastic zombie kit that has a ton of heads. They are quite big though, so be warned that they may make your models look a little bobble-headed.

Mantic Ghouls and Zombies are very cheap and have some much smaller heads. The down side is that between the two kits, there is only about 8 heads, and a couple are a bit naff.

Another good fit are the heads from the Frostgrave plastic Cultist sprues made by Northstar - they are GW human scale, and also feature withered arms and other potentially useful parts.

Beyond that, there are some third-party resin heads, but I couldn't say how big/small they are. Best checking the usual suspects and judging for yourself I think (Kromlech, Puppetswar, MaxMini, Spellcrow...).

Further to my earlier post, the MaxMini zombie ones look promising:

http://maxmini.eu/image/cache/data/products/bits/MXMCB049_zombieheads-441x315.jpg

MaxMini will also do you custom sets of specific heads sculpts if you email them first; so you can swap out any you don't like for one that you do! ;)

Archived