"The Unspeaking" - a Word Bearers army log.

SafetyTurtle

So after having had a bunch of Forgeworld 30k models laying around for years I've finally decided on a legion (yes, it did take me that long) and thought, like so many others, that I would make a log of it's growth from start to finish.
Should warn you though, I'm a slow painter so don't expect weekly updates or anything of that sort.

I've decided to do an army based on the Unspeaking, because I really like Zardu (daemons!), love their chapter icon and thought the concept of them was pretty cool...though it will of course have some elements of the Serrated Sun in there (need them Gal Vorbak after all!).

I've started putting some of the models together, not gluing all of it though, to test out some poses etc and currently the force looks like this:

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/Safety_Turtle/17359170_10155144787369583_2570310281423528137_o_zpsljan17sk.jpg

Not incredibly exciting, I know but I hope you'll bear with me.
Still have a bit more to put together and then I'll start adding some prayer scrolls etc to the models and converting a few of them as well.
I'll be going for a bit of a weathered look on them, bases will be muddy with small patches of grass and left over equipment, skulls, helmets etc to give a sort of "battlefield" feel to them.

Also did up my first 1500pts list.
I know the standard is 2000+ but I wanted to start out smaller which also explains why I went with a more elite force as I want to get to gaming sooner rather than later.

Here's the list:

Word Bearers 1500pts

1 Zardu Layak:                                     175pts

2 Blade Slaves:                                     100pts

1 Chaplain:                                            155pts
  Tainted weapon, power fist,
  Artificer armour, refractor 
  shield, burning lore.

5 Cataphractii:                                       285pts
  5 Pair of lightning claws,
  dark channeling, grenade harness.

5 Cataphractii:                                        235pts
  3xpower fist, 2xchain fist,
  1xreaper autocannon, grenade
  harness.

5 Cataphractii:                                        235pts
  3xpower fist, 2xchain fist,
  1xreaper autocannon, grenade
  harness.

5 Gal Vorbak:                                          200pts

2 Rapier Laser Destroyer:                     110pts

It's mostly based on the models I have and the models I know I want to use rather than power level or anything.

I can't really tell you how much I'm looking forward to this, the more I work on the project the more excited I get about it and I'm really happy with my choice of legion and I hope you'll follow along with my progress here.

Untill next time!

It warms my heart to see people start armies based around the stories rather than 'optimisation'; and the Unspeaking are such a cool Chapter that it makes this doubly awesome. Looking forwards to seeing how this develops - and remember, there's no need to 'pollute' things with the Serrated Sun - why not develop your own story for the Possessed internal to the Unspeaking? You could even build it into the paintscheme (black and around the power part of the helm) or the modelling (a bit of greenstuff near the grille).

Well I like the Serrated Sun, so that's mostly why ^^

I'll probably keep most of the regular troops like veterans and termies kinda "natural"...I want them to look less chaotic and more "devoted" if that makes sense, so they'll have the runes, parchment rolls etc but not a lot of real chaotic stuff.

I am contemplating converting up two veteran melee squads to look more like the Gal Vorbak, sort of like semi-Vorbak, so they're not as corrupted as the Gal Vorbak, but  they're on their way (and then use them in 40k as well as possessed, so win/win!)

And I've always been driven by the fluff and modelling options when doing armies, it's why I've stuck to my Orks since 3rd edd...through thick and thin ^^
This would actually be the very first marine army I've done since 3rd edd...and my first red army, so there's a lot of new stuff here!

Doing some work on my Chaplain and finally making a bit of headway.
Currently trying to figure out the pose for him and think I'm just about there (it's of course not glued yet, so it'll look better when done)...wanted him to have a more inspiring/commanding pose than being mid combat.
He'll of course have some pieces of parchment on him.

Contemplating painting him in a very dark grey, almost black with the bands on his armour painted in a dark, matt brass.

Have to admit that I was a bit worried when I bought the model as to whether or not it would work as a WB chaplain but I think it's coming along, and with some colchisian runes on him, he should look the part.

Let me know what you think.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/Safety_Turtle/17435975_10155156095054583_2503920607217882985_o_zpsgehborof.jpg

Hehe it'll be a while before paint is coming on, wanna take my time with this army and do it justice ^^

And I am looking forward to getting some games in...though I did have a game against 30k World Eaters with my Orks last week...a bloody affair to say the least.

Have made som changes to my first 1500pts army list, going full Cataphractii...because I have a bunch of them and the models are awesome!

Almost ready to basecoat and start painting now, just unsure of how much greenstuff parchment/ prayer scrolls I want to add to them at this point...also have to decide fully on a colour scheme but I think I'm close.
I'm just always a bit wary to get to painting when it's a completely new army...need to learn to just jump into it ^^

So far so good though, can't wait to get this army on the table!

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/Safety_Turtle/17434851_10155168155519583_6250303544431135232_o_zps7tlr73lk.jpg

Haven't done a lot of work lately as I've been sick, but have gotten a little done on my chaplain.

Think he's about there, I'm liking the pose but I'm not sure about the parchment pieces, think they could look better but I'm not used to working with green stuff...also considering whether or not I should add more to him.

http://i.imgur.com/1Tt4Zt1.jpg

Also going to have my first two games of 30k today, should be interesting...especially considering it's also my first time playing something that isn't Orks since 3rd edd ^^

The first game was against World Eaters and went horribly...my dice rolls were so bad you wouldn't believe it.
We're talking "5 wounds on terminators and rolling three 1's for saves"-bad...his command squad took out a squad of 5 lightning claw Cataphractii with chaplain without taking a wound.

Second game was against IF and it was bloody, I ended up winning by sheer luck.
I summoned in some Daemonettes, they mishapped on their deepstrike and went into ongoing reserves, then came in next round, scattered wildly into my own deployment zone...luckily, we played the mission where you had to have scoring units in certain zones and the daemonettes were the only ones in mine and my opponent had no scoring units left.

I've already learned alot about the force (Blade Slaves are some mean mofos in close combat! as well as Gal Vorbak)...especially need to get better at summoning, figuring out what, when and where to summon.

That's an great-looking model! Definitely looks like a leader, just in the way he is carrying himself. Appears to be moving with a purpose! I look forward to seeing more of your work!! 

Archived