Modelling veterans..

Augelmir

Hoy!

What do you guys do for making veterans? I have thought of either kitbashing scions and regulat cadians or gor catachan bits. Dont want to have them stand out to much from the rest of my army (wich is cadian camo themed using the current GW modell range).

Thanks

If they're not wearing carapace armor it could be as simple as a swap for the scion beret heads. They'll fit in just fine and the different colored fancy hats will let them stand out from a distance. You could also give them more kit, go through the effort of reposing them, give them fancier bases, give them more battle damage...the possibilities are endless.

The great thing with Vets is that you can do so many things modelling them up, it's a real opportunity to do something different and special compared to the rank and file :D I raid the CCS boxes of both the Cadian and Catachan kits (the Catachan infantry box is not as well scaled, sadly) - add in some extra bits from the box like some Space Marine weapons and blades and you have some grizzled survivors who look different but still fit the theme of your army :)

Alternatively as Arbitration has said it's an excuse to do something quite different, and the Forge World sets can really help there :tu:

I have a mix of veterans.

One of my veteran units are converted Skitarii to represent heavily 'repaired' tyranid hunter veterans (they were taken to a mechanicus world and were fixed up by the mechanicus after they had been severely wounded in battle with tyranids... lots of amputations and burns). They are completely different to everything else in my army because of their special nature (their metal bodies represent carapace armour):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/Squat%20Veteran%20Tyranid%20Hunters/SquatWIP124_zpsigdag6ji.jpg

My other veteran unit is made up entirely of standard troops but with female heads wearing berets (still WIP):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/GW%20Squats/Squat%20Veteran%20Ladies/SquatVet4_zpsllsu84nw.jpg

So I have the two ends of the spectrum with my veterans. The thing is that as long as you can add a bit of a reason why they look like they do, then you can pretty much use what you like.

I forgot you had a squat army...

It's still just the principal of putting together veterans... a simple headswap or a complete change of design (with a bit of backstory) and anywhere in between :)

I forgot you had a squat army...

It's still just the principal of putting together veterans... a simple headswap or a complete change of design (with a bit of backstory) and anywhere in between :)

Yep.

Just glad somebody is keeping the squats around.

I simply just took the beret heads from the scion box, trimmed the ball bit down (who had the brilliant idea not to make IG bodies and Scion heads compatible?!) and stuck them on. They fit right in with my army but are different enough to notice that they are veterans.

Much power is derived from the fanciness of one's hat....

I just built a shotgun + flamer Vet squad using the simple beret heads from the Scion kit, as others have pointed out. Simple (need a little neck shaving to fit), yet effective.

Otherwise my standard Veterans all have the large-Aquila chest pieces, as well having holstered laspistols and the sunglass heads from HWT kits. Cuz Veterans can afford Ray Bans.

I need to check out more scions... because the gw scheme and the way they made them I really don't like... but I don't see kasrkin being to available anytime soon in plastic.

Seams like there are plenty of bits in there for vets... shotguns will come from scouts tho...

I need to check out more scions... because the gw scheme and the way they made them I really don't like... but I don't see kasrkin being to available anytime soon in plastic.

Seams like there are plenty of bits in there for vets... shotguns will come from scouts tho...

I've done shotguns from scouts....but to be honest, the proportions look a bit off IMO. I think they are a good start for human-grade bolters or some other type of weapon. 

I've used the tacti-cool shotguns from Genestealer Cults. 

The GW scheme chosen for Scions does a real disservice! 

The Taroux and Scions are actually really neat models. You just need the right colours on them ;)

/shameless plug

The GW scheme chosen for Scions does a real disservice!

The Taroux and Scions are actually really neat models. You just need the right colours on them msn-wink.gif

/shameless plug

That's how GW works now though duz - create a new kit and then contrive to paint it in a poor scheme with the worse picture they can manage laugh.png

I actually quite like the 'Ultramarines PDF' colour scheme that is on the GW website :(

That said, I think a very dark paintscheme would suit them well...

As mentioned before, I model my vets with just the Scion beret heads. They come with facial hair, augmetics, and earrings etc, so they can really stand out as "above" the normal guardsmen if your highlight that. One other thing I did was use the static torso + legs combo of the Valkyrie door gunners as the Sergeant/Voxcaster command team.

Archived