Veteran Marksmen Marines and their Loadout

Fezifresh

Hello brothers,

a friend lured me into 30k. He plays mechanicum so i know i will have a hard time from the start :-)

I think of two vets as troops in the pride of the legion row.

My question: how do i equip them to be most effective?

- just bolters (cheapest)

- bolters and heavy bolters (more shots, but ap 4 and S5 seems not that important against mechanicum)

- bolters and plasma (wont benefit as much from sniper, but plasma seems like a good choice against his automata)

- bolters and melta (same as above, also effective against vehicles aswell)

Another question: how do you equip your sergeants?

Thanks brothers

I run two 10man squads of Bolter Vets with AA amd Powerfist on the Sgt for anti-Mech, up close they unleash 20 Sniper shots which are effective against big bots because they wound on a 4+. I also run Sons of Horus which greatly increases the hit chance due to Death Dealers. Sometimes if I have points spare I will throw in some combi-Melta for the off chance I can Outflank behind a tank.

Legion aren't gonna struggle against Mechanicum if you bring the right tools. My toughest matchups are Legion and Solar Auxilia, as a Mechanicum player. 

Regarding Sniper Veterans, combi-plasmas and plasma guns would be the way to go. It leverages their Precision Shots extremely well, and if you Outflank you can get into a good position to rapid-fire. Don't forget to take a Rhino so if he brings cyber-occulari (Interceptor aura servitors) he has to waste shots killing their ride first. Plasma Snipers don't cost much more than combi-plasma Seekers or even Tac Support squads, and you can switch to melee if need be (just sprinkle in a few power weapons and a fist on the Sergeant if you want that flexibility). 

Melta tends to suffer from a number of issues. It's only 12", whereas your sniper rounds and even combi-plasma can be used from 24" if need be (ideally you want to rapid-fire). So quite often you're not firing the meltaguns. Also, the high propensity of Armoured Ceramite in the meta makes melta a lot less effective. Plasma gets two shots at the same range, and quite often you'll kill vehicles by HP loss rather than rolling a lucky Explode. Plasma is also better against multi-wound targets that won't get Instant Deathed by a melta (Custodes, Gal Vorbak, Cybernetica robots, Thallax/Ursarax, SA and Militia Ogryns etc). 

Heavy bolters are really expensive, unless you are playing as a legion like IW and DA that gets special ammo for heavy bolters I don't think they are worth the cost. Plasma guns on the other hand are always a solid option since they threaten a wide range of targets.

I'd never take melta on a marksmen squad, plasma just sycronizes better with marksmen vets.

Personally I like to take 5/5 combi melta/plasma.

Melta is great to kill of a knight or whatever doesn't have ceramite and t5 2w models and the like and plasma to get rid of anything else.

Rhino to keep them cheap rather than the dreadclaw, turn two almost guaranteed rapid fire. Thanks!

I used to take dreadclaws, but as marksman came out, I noticed rhinos will do the same for 2x65 points less but turn 2 rather than one. 13o points in the right tools on top is a lot..

Artificer Armour and vexilla if I got the points, but vexilla is on the second place right after combi weapons.

Don't forget veterans are your best choice to get rid of quadmortars and the like.. 20 shots, 18 hits (as sons of horus player), 9 wounds.. make one dead mortar, after you shot your combi volley at the initial target..

So question regarding the sniper rule. As I read the rules it seems as though you always wound on a 4, regardless of the weapon profile if the model or weapon have sniper. Doesn't this make weapons upgrades less effective as things like plasma guns effectively lose strength? I may be missing something but it's just how I see it.

Rending heavy flamers aren't all that special since the strength doesn't matter when you get a rend, so generally flamers are just as useful. That being said I think you could go either flamers or plasma, both have their uses. Flamers means more rending hits once you're in range, plasma is going to be less hits but more reliable ap2. 

I'm not so sure about that - the Heavy Bolter wants to stay back, while the plasma gun and melee weapons want to press forward.

Personally I have 3 loadouts, all of my heavy guys are magnetized with these:

- Dual Heavy Bolter for shredding Auxilia 20 man squads.

- 2 Power Mauls to glance rear armor to death

- 2 Plasma Guns for Legion/Custodes.

I'm not so sure about that - the Heavy Bolter wants to stay back, while the plasma gun and melee weapons want to press forward.

The heavy bolter has a suspensor belt so you can move and shoot at full BS... They don't need to hang back.

The heavy bolter has a suspensor belt so you can move and shoot at full BS... They don't need to hang back.

Though the 18" range you have when moving is almost the same as the 12" from a rapid-firing bolter. That's a very expensive extra shot.

Only rule of cool, unless you have extra special rounds for the heavy bolters, they are too expensive for what they bring to the table. They aren't even equivalent in value to plasma guns, much less 5 points more.

Would they be worth it in an Imperial Fists list?

A lot of people run double HB.

A lot of people wear skinny jeans, but still....

I wear skinny jeans and have a double HB Vet squad, what are you trying to say... msn-wink.gif

My main vet squad is dual plasma though, but Cryptix's idea of two mauls has inspired me to make another Vet squad.

Archived