Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Adeptus Custodes and Sisters Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts
  • Chapter Name: Custodes Advance Force

So, with all the information coming out for the new mini-dexes, I figured I would open up a thread for discussing the new rules and formations, and some tactics.

What do you think will be better to bring, Dreads or Land Raiders? Is a pure Custodes army viable, or is mixing in the cheaper but still potent Sisters of Silence a must? 

I have a few Custodes lists in mind, but really need to decide if I want Dreads and to DS in the bulk of my Custodes, or to run the LRs across the board. I also want to bring Guilliman in the army, since he is a beast and giving re-rolls to the already very dangerous Custodes would be beautiful. He is also the cost of an entire Custodes squad, so do you guys think he will be worth dishing out for?

I think the Guardian spears really stand out now. St 6 AP2, 3-5 attacks, and we have a built in 5++ now.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,385 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
Both forces got a significant buff.

You can simply take a squad of Custodes with any Imperium army and go in for a risk free deepstrike, and they are just so survivable now. Beasts in combat too.
Even the Dread has a use. You could easily deepstrike him near terrain or cover and run and hide.

Sisters are epic, especially their Rhino. You can take a few squads and dedicated Rhinos, deploy them outside of their transport to spread the Psychic denial bubble. Could have the Rhinos advance 18" turn 1 to shut down psykers which is great.

-~Ishagu~-

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts

Or keep his Melta, DS him into something you want dead. A 200 pt meltacide with a 5++ and st 10 powerfist? Other armies do it better. I was thinking of giving him the AC, the threat levels of this army are hard to focus. Do you shoot at the psyker denying sisters with AP2 swords, the Crazy strong LR with Mini Primarchs with st6 AP2 weapons in them, the Mini Primarchs who just DS'd behind your units, or the St6 AP4 Rending Assault Monster who just DS'd behind a tree? Love this army. I can have 15 models and 30 wounds, with EW, 2+/5++, stomping along with The Lord Commander himself. They aren't top notch, but I love this.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars/Grey Talons
I'm taking all of it! ALL!
2 Dreads, 1 Raider 2 Squads of Custodes.

Rabidbunneh

Rabidbunneh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts

What is the point of having Extra Armour on the Land Raider when the Machine Spirit does the same thing?

secretforge

secretforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts

From the looks of things they are an army that will either crush noobs, or get crushed.

On the competitive scene, they're basically useless.

If your'e a purist then bear in mind, the standard unit has no tool to hurt armour 13, so dreads and land raiders are probably a necessity. (to the extreme that if a custodes player faced a knight player with twice the points of the knight. Id still bet on the knight player).

If you don't care about purity, you'll probably want a conclave because nothing helps a big expensive unit of walking melee dudes better than psychic buff monsters.

If you take Gulliman and you don't model him as the big E then you're doing yourself a disservice.

Their best use will be allies, and then, if I were after an expensive melee beatstick ally, Id probably go for an iron hands/raven wing bike star or a wolf star before these guys. Which is a shame, as i love me some custodes and will probably Field them eventually, with the understanding that I'll loose to any of my friends who are even slightly putting some effort in.

But I'm just a voice on the internet, so ignore me and have fun! As with all super small elite armies, embrace that you'll loose more than you win, but your guys look cooler than theirs.

• Bartali likes this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
To 1500 list, just add a knight. Paint him gold and red, profit.

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 127 posts

Both forces got a significant buff.

You can simply take a squad of Custodes with any Imperium army and go in for a risk free deepstrike, and they are just so survivable now. Beasts in combat too.
Even the Dread has a use. You could easily deepstrike him near terrain or cover and run and hide.

Sisters are epic, especially their Rhino. You can take a few squads and dedicated Rhinos, deploy them outside of their transport to spread the Psychic denial bubble. Could have the Rhinos advance 18" turn 1 to shut down psykers which is great.

How does that work?  I'm pretty much a 30k Player so haven't a very good handle on 40k era army building, but finally caved at the coolness of the Celestine model and am trying to build a flavorful force around her.  And Custodes seem like a darn good bodyguard for an Imperial Saint. ;)  (that and some Marines, because I have lots of them).  I know people were saying in the Rumors thread about them being taken in a CAD,  But aren't Armies of the Imperium still all different factions? 

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,385 posts
Armies of the Imperium are all battle brothers.
Means they can be affected by each other's rules, Warlord traits, ride inside each other's vehicles etc, etc.

Custodes form their own detachment, the minimum compulsory units of which is a single squad of Custodes.

It means you can have an Imperial Guard army with St Celestine as your HQ, a single unit of Custodes in support, and Lord Commander Roboute Guilliman as your LoW for example. You can do this within the full confines of a legal, Battle forged army.

Some people are purists and do prefer to stick to a single army, and that's absolutely fine. The Imperium is a large organisation that typically deploys multiple forces to a theater of War.

Edited by Ishagu, 19 March 2017 - 09:05 PM.

-~Ishagu~-

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 127 posts

Aha!  That makes more sense then.  Thank you.

So I could easily do a Castellans detachment with Celestine and Greyfax, 4 Space Marine Troop Choices, and then the Custodes.  This helps!

Easy way to include some Gold Butt Kicking Banana squad goodness from my 30k side into a 40k army.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,385 posts
Yeah think of the Custodes as the troops in an allied detachment that doesn't require a seperate HQ.

The 40k Custodes have different rules and unit wargear composition in 40k. You can mix shields and spears.

Edited by Ishagu, 19 March 2017 - 10:02 PM.

-~Ishagu~-

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
With inbuilt 5++, spears all the way.
Emperor protects.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,385 posts
I think the Vexilla is a good upgrade, and the bearer should have a shield.
I'm still thinking 2 Shields in a squad of 5 adds a lot of survivability.

-~Ishagu~-

Rabidbunneh

Rabidbunneh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts

Would it be possible to run Custodes as a CAD with one of the Gathering Storm HQs? I was just wondering as I might be going to Cally and i'd like to take Custodes as a shiggles list.

It would be:

Celestine

2x5 Custodes with 2 Storm Shields in a Land Raider

5 Custodes with 2 Storm Shields

1 Dreadnought

That comes to 1780. I wouldn't go up there expecting to win, its more an excuse to get my Custodes painted up.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 5,530 posts

Would it be possible to run Custodes as a CAD with one of the Gathering Storm HQs? I was just wondering as I might be going to Cally and i'd like to take Custodes as a shiggles list.

It would be:

Celestine

2x5 Custodes with 2 Storm Shields in a Land Raider

5 Custodes with 2 Storm Shields

1 Dreadnought

That comes to 1780. I wouldn't go up there expecting to win, its more an excuse to get my Custodes painted up.

Since the new rules have Custodes as Troops Choices I don't see anything stopping you doing this.

I wasn't expecting the rules in the Talons box to be too interesting but a Land Raider that ignores crew stunned and crew shaken AND has a 5+ Invulnerable save? It's... tempting. I am disappointed at a lack of HQs or other options, the list is very... anemic.

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts
I really want to run Roboute, but I think in a Custodes army that 350 points is best spent elsewhere at 1850 and under. I will bring him in my 2000-3000 point games. I was thinking I might bring Inquisition for some melta acolytes and las cannon monkeys. That would give me some fresh bodies for the meat grinder and extra anti tank. Or I can just bring a Skyhammer for AV 14 and such.

I think the biggest thing about Custodes is the only anti AV13 and up are LRs and Dreads. Bringing as much support for that as possible is key, and we can probably learn from Grey Knights on that, using big MCs as distractions and for dealing death blows. Maybe even bring a NDK, Imperial Knight, Roboute, so on.

Edited by HCMistborn, 20 March 2017 - 09:47 AM.

Rabidbunneh

Rabidbunneh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts
I had a think aboutterly the list I posted. If I ran Celestine and the 2 Land Raider squads as a CAD force, then the Dreadnought and 5 man squad separately as the Custodes Detachment, I could have a strong front line and reliable deep strike later on in the game.

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts
Thats what I was planning with my force too, but with RG and Greyfax in place of the Living Saint.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
What bothers me with Celestine is the fact that that I need to take the other 2 ladies, and i cant be bothered to paint them lol

Edited by Sete, 20 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

Lord Andreas

Lord Andreas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 307 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
I've been deciding whether or not to get the box and I think I've finally caved. I'm thinking Voldus with a squad of custodes could be very fun. My local shop occasionally has really competitive tournaments. Last time I got wiped by a death star made up of cawl, sicarans and a librarius conclave. Think I need lots of sisters or my own death star spearheaded by custodes for next time.
"An action hero with brains? That just means that you don't run into things as often." - Douglas Henshall

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
What do you Guys think:
Aquilla Commander
WS6 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I5 A4
Independent Character 110 points.
It's Shield Captain profile with an extra wound for 15 points and extra 10 for being IC? Add other 20 for an Iron Halo. ;)
How would you guys price this up on a balanced manner?
Gonna send a suggestion for FB page

Edited by Sete, 20 March 2017 - 12:29 PM.

• HCMistborn likes this

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,226 posts

What do you Guys think:
Aquilla Commander
WS6 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I5 A4
Independent Character 90 points.
It's Shield Captain profile with an extra wound for 15 points and extra 10 for being IC?
How would you guys price this up on a balanced manner?
Gonna send a suggestion for FB page

Same cost as a Chaplain for a 2+/5++ S5 T5 W3 with EW? I think he should be probably 120 minimum. Shield Captains are SM Sgts to the SM Captain, right, so a Aquilla Commander should be a bit more, methinks.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,365 posts
120? I like it.
  • HCMistborn likes this

Morollan

Morollan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,399 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Sisters were pretty reasonable when they first came out as their aura didn't extend outside a vehicle. Powerful unit but with a mitigating weakness that the player would need to compensate for. Then GW gives them a vehicle with the same aura and then makes the aura exponentially bigger, completely eliminating the weakness and turning it into a massive plus.

Combined with the utterly ridiculous Imperial Triumvirates it seems nobody at GW is capable of creating a balanced game or even a balanced codex or unit anymore.

• Gentlemanloser likes this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,317 posts

Love the idea of Celestine and a golden host of banana warriors appearing out of nowhere to stem the tide of darkness...

• HCMistborn and Dulahan like this

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users