Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Captain or Chaplain

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenrika

Howdy folks.

I've got my first game of 40k in about two years on Thursday and I am busting out 1000 points of my BA successors The Crimson Lions in the hopes they can bring honor to our gene-father by vanquishing my buddies vile Necron Army (PS my guys are not friends with Necrons...)

After being out of the loop for a while in terms of gaming there have been some new things that have appeared and I am unsure of who should lead my army. I have quite a big squad of Death Company that I am taking with me and I am torn between two characters.

I have either

2nd Company Captain Arcas Myrto using Valour's Edge, Angels Wing, Artificer Armour and a grav-pistol

or

Unamed DC Chaplain using the Gilded Crozius and Grav Pistol which is far cheaper and allows another DC Marine.

They are both gonna be tucked up in a big scary blob of DC either Deepstriking in or storming across the field to smash his troopy robots to little tiny pieces.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated I am super rusty.

*Admins I wasn't sure if this was going to be here for community advice or in lists? Sorry if it's in the wrong place

~

"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword."

~

"For Sparta, For the Emperor, to the death!~ Chapter Master Leonidas Diocles, The Lions of Sparta

~

"For Russ and the Allfather."

~

Brother Lemartes

Brother Lemartes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,345 posts

I would go with the DC Chaplain for sure. All those rerolls are crazy, but you do have to watch out for challenges.

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,696 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels
It's fine here as it's not a list discussion :) How many DC are we talking about?

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts

Thanks Jolemai. I have squad of 10 so not all that big I suppose but  hefty chunk of my list but I do love a bit of a death star unit. I mean from doing a few test rolls I am leaning towards the chaplain as he appears to be a bit of a beat stick with the Gilded Crozius!

Edit - I am not overly concerned by challenges, he favours ranged loadouts for his HQ slots which makes character hunting against him a lot more fun :)

Edited by Sigvard, 19 March 2017 - 11:57 PM.

• Brother Lemartes likes this

~

"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword."

~

"For Sparta, For the Emperor, to the death!~ Chapter Master Leonidas Diocles, The Lions of Sparta

~

~

LutherMax

LutherMax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,787 posts
If you're focusing on Death Company the Chaplain seems like a no-brainier. The new flavour gives re-rolls to hit AND wound, which is very tasty indeed.

Assume your DC have packs. Are you deep striking them or running up the field?

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts

It depends really. My only concern with deep strike is they are gonna end sitting somewhere as a bullet sponge for a turn and necrons can pound out some crazy fire power and I want to be able to put my guys in a position to charge and not be charged. So I am potentially gonna run them up the field.

There is also the rule of cool factor to consider and I love the idea of a group of DC being lead by a chaplain into battle plus the DC Chaplain model is awesome. Though he will need some fixing to keep him in line with my chapter asthetics.

~

~

~

~

LutherMax

LutherMax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,787 posts
If you get the Relic armour for the Chaplain he can literally lead from the front, tanking fire with his 2+/4++. If he loses a wound you can Look out Sir on a 2+. The armour also gives Crusader, which helps you get up the field even quicker.
  • Helias Tancred likes this

lazyj

lazyj

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

Howdy folks.

I've got my first game of 40k in about two years on Thursday and I am busting out 1000 points of my BA successors The Crimson Lions in the hopes they can bring honor to our gene-father by vanquishing my buddies vile Necron Army (PS my guys are not friends with Necrons...)

After being out of the loop for a while in terms of gaming there have been some new things that have appeared and I am unsure of who should lead my army. I have quite a big squad of Death Company that I am taking with me and I am torn between two characters.

I have either

2nd Company Captain Arcas Myrto using Valour's Edge, Angels Wing, Artificer Armour and a grav-pistol

or

Unamed DC Chaplain using the Gilded Crozius and Grav Pistol which is far cheaper and allows another DC Marine.

They are both gonna be tucked up in a big scary blob of DC either Deepstriking in or storming across the field to smash his troopy robots to little tiny pieces.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated I am super rusty.

*Admins I wasn't sure if this was going to be here for community advice or in lists? Sorry if it's in the wrong place

DC Chaplain can't take grav pistols. He only has access to relics of Baal and special issue wargear, so you're stuck with the inferno pistol....

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts

Yeah I have now realized that - also Relics of the Lost can only be taken in a Death Company Strike Force formation....d'oh!!

~

~

~

~

Tyriks

Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,624 posts
The Captain has two relics (Valor's Edge and Angel's Wing). Only one relic per model is allowed, unfortunately.
  • Sigvard likes this

sebs_evo7

sebs_evo7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 374 posts
A cheap choice is the chaplain with the relic that allows for two warlord traits and then you can fish for the infiltrate and move through cover traits both of which will assist in getting up the board. I can't remember if you need to run a cad or bsf to get re rolls though

BloodTzar

BloodTzar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 789 posts

Yet we have regular Chaplains  and DC chaplains , DC ones can pull up nasty relics compared to our original book.

Overall, chaplain seems like no brainer since our captain does nothing in terms of force multiplying. In the long run, chaplain wins, from the hobby perspective; since you will need one if you would go for the FW toys whistling.gif

~BT

PER ASPERA AD ASTRA 

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,065 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

Yet we have regular Chaplains  and DC chaplains , DC ones can pull up nasty relics compared to our original book.

Can he tho if you take him in a regular CAD? I thought you can only take those relics if you take a Lost Brotherhood Detachment?

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

BloodTzar

BloodTzar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 789 posts

Can he tho if you take him in a regular CAD? I thought you can only take those relics if you take a Lost Brotherhood Detachment?

My understanding is and correct me pls if I am wrong; if you take DC Chaplain from the Angel's blade, he can act as a stand alone HQ, in any formations ( even those from the main codex) yet he has access to relics in the Angel's blade book (DC only relics).

Just to support this statement;

"Since Codex Blood Angel was published there have been several new miniatures released into the Blood Angels range. This chapter of the book is designed to be used in conjunction with Codex: Blood Angels to provide players with the entire range of Blood Angels miniatures. The rules here - where  relevant - update, replace or supplement the rules in your codex.

Foremost amongst the new rules is introduction on the Terminator Captain and the Death Company Chaplain." Angel's Blade p.100

Edited by BloodTzar, 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM.

PER ASPERA AD ASTRA 

Tyriks

Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,624 posts
Read the relic rules again. You can take the DC chap as an HQ but he can't take the relics unless he is in a LBSF or DCSF.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,082 posts

DC Chaplain for sure.

Other than a little stat boost and extra wound, the captain is a pretty bad HQ choice - needs more buffs!

Those re-rolls will turn your DC from "good" to "ohgodwhyaretherenercronpartseverywherewhatishappeningwhydidIangerthoseblackspacemarines"

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all." - Mortarion

Heresy WIP Thread: Talons

WIP Thread

Index Astartes Sanguine Visions

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
Thanks for all your help guys. It seems the DC Chaplain is the way go so I guess I better get painting.

Tyriks - in the Codex it states that only of each of these artefacts may be taken per army not only one. I know there is huge debate about whether you only have one or only have one of each type but to settle debate before it starts my gaming group blanket rules only one of each, so a character can have multiple artefacts, this works across all armies and allows for some diverse and flavourful builds.

~

~

~

~

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,065 posts

Thanks for all your help guys. It seems the DC Chaplain is the way go so I guess I better get painting.

Tyriks - in the Codex it states that only of each of these artefacts may be taken per army not only one. I know there is huge debate about whether you only have one or only have one of each type but to settle debate before it starts my gaming group blanket rules only one of each, so a character can have multiple artefacts, this works across all armies and allows for some diverse and flavourful builds.

Actually there is no debate since the FAQ straight says only one artifact/relic per character. However if your group houserules it differently that's up to you. ;)

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,696 posts
It was FAQ'd. It's one per model.
Unless you choose to house rule it, etc.

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts

I must be stupid because I can't find it in the FAQ

~

~

~

~

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,065 posts

I must be stupid because I can't find it in the FAQ

XqrfwAF.png

https://www.warhamme...book-final-faq/

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
Ah thank you. Well that changes things a little house ruling on an ambiguous rule to just straight up ignoring is a big difference. Bugger.

That means I need to rewrite so many lists :-(

~

~

~

~

Sigvard

Sigvard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
Accidentally double posted

Edited by Sigvard, 20 March 2017 - 01:53 PM.

~

~

~

~

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,065 posts

I feel you. I think we all do. ^^

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,581 posts
For BA i think it really means you can't just slap the veritas and valours on the same model any more. There's still plenty of useful builds though.

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users