Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone played against the Ynnari yet?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
Yup. You can only overwatch once per turn. You just can't normally do it during your own turn lol

CanHammer, wargaming from the Great White North

www.youtube.com/canhammer

www.canhammer.ca

www.facebook.com/canhammer

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

@canhammer_yt on instagram

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,372 posts

Yes

The BRB talks about the Turn as the Player turn and when it needs to explicitly says if something applies across turns so for overwatch it states under overwatch restrictions "note a unit may only fire overwatch once per turn". 

EX- Zealot applies to the 1st turn (player Turn)

EX- Prescience, BRB states that Blessings last till your next Psychic phase (effectively game turn)

A more complex example is Jink which you declare when your targeted (normally the opponents shooting phase) and gives you a 4+ cover till your next movement phase but adds a snapshot rule till the end of your next shooting phase.

Direct from the BRB

" Whenever a rule refers to ‘a turn’ it always means ‘player turn’ unless it specifically refers to a ‘game turn' "

hope the examples help

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts

unfotunately, we now have lots of rules that allow things to happen out of order or out of turn, so these adaptations have to be made.   When the rulebook was written, I'm not sure they thought about possibility of getting charged on your own turn.  hopefully next edition will clean a lot of things up, amongst other things

www.canhammer.ca

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

Solrac

Solrac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 704 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels

If you are playing against Ynnari make sure to read their FAQ. Soul Burst does not circumvent most of the rules in the rulebook e.g they can't Turbo Boost/Run and then charge with Soul Burst, they can't shoot and wipe out a unit and then charge a unit they haven't shot at etc.

What you have to look out for is the Soul Burst that occurs in your turn so things like getting assaulted in your shooting phase, extra movement to grab objectives in your assault phase etc.

Ynnari will take a lot of  cheap and fast "sacrifice"  to trigger Soul Burst closer to you (a friend of mine uses Kymera beasts).

As has been said it's all about positioning and killing units outside of 7" range.

• SnakeChisler likes this

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
Good points solrac

www.canhammer.ca

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,372 posts

Also whittle down the squads rather than the normal tactic of delete a squad at a time

The lists that are going to become the norm will be bike heavy so chipping away 3 models down to 1 on all squads so that the soulburst action is minimal

Where it all breaks down though is with super heavies

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
Especially if they lose obsec, leaving a scat bike or two doesn't hurt as much.

Soulbursting wraithknights is painful but they can only soulburst once. And grav still wrecks them

www.canhammer.ca

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,372 posts

Yes but its like the Riptide wing & the stormsurge double dipping all of a sudden your facing an extra in Tau's case 1000 points of firepower in an 1850 game.

Eldar shooting is 2nd only to Tau as it is add another 5/600 points per round and its like your facing an army twice its size and psychic powers get quite disproportionate when applied to big point units a Wraithknight shooting twice with guide and if your targeting a large unit then Doom + soulburst.

Anyway I think that 8th is going to change the way we play just a feeling

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts

if the rage on the internet today is any indication...then yes!

www.canhammer.ca

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

OthnielsBlade

OthnielsBlade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 131 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars; Ravenwing
Had a 1500 Highlander against them today; they were my first of 3 matchups. I lost 19-2 Crusade/Maelstrom combo; but had a good time nonetheless. It helped that my opponent was having a bit of fun regardless of his army, and was patient with my first tournament game. Highlights were a devastator squad holding off a Shadowseer, my Dark Talon one-shotting a Solitaire in cover, and my terminator Librarian tanking 25+ shots after surviving a D-blast.

Challenge%20Against%20the%20Dawn_zpsbnxx

dtse

dtse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
So I got a game coming up. I'm playing my lions blade plus riptide wing. Here's his list

Reborn warhost with 18 scat bikes 6x3) a farseer and autarch on bikes. 12 black guardian jetbikes. 3 D batteries and a double D wraith knights.

Ulthwe strike force wth 12 more scat bikes

So total of 42 scat bikes most of which soulburst. A double D wraithknight. And 3 soulbursting D batteries.

www.canhammer.ca

canhammer.yt@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users