Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fighting Ynnari for the first time. Need all the advice.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Master Antaeus

Master Antaeus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 215 posts

Fighting a 2k game vs Ynnari.  I have watched both miniwargaming games against them using armies way stronger than the way I normally play.

This is what my opponent is bringing:

Wraithknight (probably sword and board)

"other D weapons"

We are fortunately using the ITC variants for D weapons.  I assume I will not be facing a lot of vehicles, but I still have a wraithknight/ton of T6/potentially invisible models to kill.

I have:

A lot of infantry space marines with transports for them.  Not so much bikes or centurions.  I'm about an edition and a half out of date.  Includes forge world units; a contemptor, a deredeo and a sicaran.

Land Raiders (one of each)

Whatever infantry I want (except centurions)

Nearly any amount of rhinos and razorbacks

3 preds

3 vindicators

~30 heroes with various permutations of wargear

A Guard army that would have crushed balls in 5th ed

A Militarum Tempestus (yes) army.

A Knight Paladin

A Knight whatever (weapons not built)

a baneblade

a hellhammer

These are my tools.

Blade of Sigismund

Blade of Sigismund

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

It sounds like wraith spam, so the big change he will have from standard wraith spam is the ability to add in Dark Eldar characters with Webway Portals. This allows him to deep strike in without scattering. Main idea is dropping in a unit with D-Scythes, killing a target, and using 'Power From Death' to shoot a second target. He can do 2 of these units in a standard Reborn Warhost.

I would suggest null deploying as much as possible to avoid him having good targets on the turn he drops in. To my knowledge, there is no way for him to drop in before t2 with them, so a skyhammer annihilation force would be good so you could have in go first and drop t2 guarunteed. This would set up an alpha strike.

Once you set the conditions, wraith goes down to grav, and non-grav goes down to bolters.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,692 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
Ynnari are broken even by the broken standards of 40k.

I'd run an invincible Death Star to deny him killing my army, but I'd probably still lose on objectives.

-~Ishagu~-

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,478 posts
  • Chapter Name: Grey Knights
Run away and cry!
By watching miniwargaming and Tabletop Tactics, using weak dark Eldar ynnari lists. They still dominated the opposition. It's crazy.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,692 posts
Yep, they comfortably beat a Magnus summoning list also.

-~Ishagu~-

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,402 posts
It's a tough one. Eldar are dirty and just plain unpleasant to play against. I can only remember a single game I ever enjoyed against Eldar. This particular faction won't be Bucking a trend.

Anyway, from the look of it, you might need to spread fire around until units are particularly weakened so they get as little benefit as possible of their hideous rules.

Another option is kill units out of range of you so they don't get any benefit from it.

Blade of Sigismund

Blade of Sigismund

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

So much hate, I can sense it flow through you...

Ynnari (Harlequins) are my second 40k army, because the hipster potential of Necromancer Space Elf Clowns was too great to be ignored. The main benefit I get from the new rules is the opportunity to be faster and break counter attacks. Neither of these adjust the fact that I am expensive and only have a 5+ save. All three GS2 characters are overpriced, and the formations are kind of terrible except for the reborn warhost.

All that said, what I am trying to do is maneuver to break your center as fast as possible. I plan on you using conventional deployment methods so that I can dissect the force quickly and minimize response. That changes things around a bit, as the more elite your army becomes, the easier it is to do. If you run a true death star, then I only have to maneuver around about half the units. If you run grav, my 5++ and lack of armor makes it into a severely overpriced (worse than) heavy bolter.

The things that would give me a REALLY hard time:

1. Anything that ignores cover. If you take away jink and cover, my expensive troops go down to a stiff breeze.

2. Spreading out while maintaining overlapping fires. In order to use soulburst, I need to run units in groups of 2-3. The more I can clump up the more I can make supporting soulburst actions. If I am forced to spread out then soulburst goes away, and I can't hide from your supporting (long range) fire.

3. Bolters in drop pods. Yes really. Ten tactical marines firing rapid fire can easily destroy any unit I have. They are also cheap, so make it hard for me to get that 3 unit to 1 target ratio  I'm looking for.

4. Counter my psychic phase. The only power that I rely on is the soulburst action. If you stop that, you've screwed up my plans.

Things that will give you a REALLY hard time:

1. Webway Assault / portals - I can drop units on the table without scattering. I would counter by not leaving easy targets on the table and putting units in reserve. I also have no way of delaying reserve rolls. Its a 5-6 turn game, and attrition is in your favor.

2. Chaining combat. Soulburst allows me to charge in to one unit, kill it, then charge into a second unit in a single assault phase. I would counter this by leaving 12" between units so a second charge is not possible.

3. I have a lot of S6 shooting, so I don't have a hard time with rhino chassis. This is another reason to consider running drop pods instead.

• Captain Idaho and templargdt like this

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 462 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night Lords

I played them with Tau the other day. He was using spider and bike spam. I killed all his bikes on turn one with a retaliation cadre. His spiders lasted longer when they came in. But the damn special characters were monsters to kill. He played far too defensively for the lord and one with the pet cat which enabled me to concentrate fire of half the army for two shooting phases to take them down. The monstrous one though took out a Yrvra(sp?), the flamer thrower riptide guy from FW, who did manage to inflict 4 wounds plus one from a sabot round from commander O'Rally(sp?) and then it charged a crisis team that missed with all its overwatch and killed two. The final crisis suit punched it in a lucky hit. I think a decent melee unit should be able to take it down. Even my HH assault marines with 15 guys would likely win if they passed their leadership tests over time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users