Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sisters of Silence and Custodes Rules

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

luthhero

luthhero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
So the new codexes are floating around with The Sisters of Silence and Custodes. The new Sisters formation is pretty amazing and cheap if you just have to hate on psykers. Might be something to consider for all you Deathwatch generals out there. Oh and the New Custodes rules are even better than the old buring of Prospero rules.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,223 posts

Actually I've used Sisters with my DW, and I think they work very well with DW because of the Angelis (now confirmed only usable the turn after you get on the table with the Beacon).

Since I fling them into the middle of the board, it can be a huge null zone for dirt cheap, but what does the new codex bring to the idea?

Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

The Codex gives them a rhino for 10 pts more than the norm, with the Psychic Abomination rule to ride in. Also for each unit on the table extends all of the Sister's Abomination rule, and Rhino as well, by 3". You can have up to 6 units on the table (3 squads and tanks) to make that an absurd 27" bubble from every unit. Its a lot of points to say NO to psykers, but its amusing.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,223 posts

The Codex gives them a rhino for 10 pts more than the norm, with the Psychic Abomination rule to ride in. Also for each unit on the table extends all of the Sister's Abomination rule, and Rhino as well, by 3". You can have up to 6 units on the table (3 squads and tanks) to make that an absurd 27" bubble from every unit. Its a lot of points to say NO to psykers, but its amusing.

Holy frag grenades! Maybe I _won't_ paint my Magnus model after all... wow talk about a 'magic bullet'... literally.

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts

The 12" null zone bubble works in their new posh psychic rhino

Additional squad within 12" gives +3" to the null zone, optimum nerf bat value seems to be the 2 possibly 3 squad mark, given you can drive 12" with say 2 down the middle of the battlefield your zone of dump on you psyker is pretty huge and there pretty good value anyways and a good ally.

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts

By the way I think its great and will shake up the meta making for more varied battles

Most people will still take a Psyker if they want one but the deathstar conclaves & Deamon Farm type lists will have a bad day.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,223 posts

I have used Librarius a lot... but not in its most abusive state, and I personally will summon a unit... maybe two over the course of a whole game, but I personally do think that stuff at its worst is getting crazy, so I do like seeing it get reeled in a bit.

That said... if I understand the Rhino has its own aura, then the Rhino and the sisters can do a T2 disembark for a 3" bonus (for 2 units) on the Aura. This would seem to amount to Rhino moves 6" the sisters get out 6", and (potentially run) leaving an aura of about 36" bubble... that's huge.

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,824 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 317th

Yeah the Rhino definitely has its own aura.  One way I can think of to get this beside DW is to run two CADs, one DW and one SoS.  This has the advantage of letting you run the Null-Maiden Rhino as FA and allowing your DW to ride in it they want (embark T1) while your SoS can still buy their own (and are ObjSec).  Disadvantage is losing the range bonus from Null-Maiden Task Force and having to run a GS character (though Celestine or Cawl aren't really "bad" choices, IMO).

One thing to consider is while the Psychic Abomination rule is huge, what are the SoS themselves actually going to do?  It's a critical consideration and my feeling is the Flamers are probably the best overall choice . . .

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

Never had hope to begin with; they had duty, and that was enough.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

SoS can't run a CAD, they can only run their detachment, since they are all Elites.

luthhero

luthhero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
Interestingly enough I believe the Custodes are troops so you could take them in a CAD with Celestine being the HQ

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,865 posts

It's a lot of points that won't work on half of top 5 armies (Tau, Necrons) then you have Eldar and SM bikes who will delete them with ridiculous ease, psychic powers or not. Really, all the SoS work against are sad armies with a handful of supporting psykers, like, say, DW...

Holy frag grenades! Maybe I _won't_ paint my Magnus model after all... wow talk about a 'magic bullet'... literally.

Correct me if I am wrong but Magnus doesn't care one bit about them, not only he can sweep one SoS unit per turn off table, his powers actually work on them from outside of the bubble and he can simply D-bomb them into oblivion...

Most people will still take a Psyker if they want one but the deathstar conclaves & Deamon Farm type lists will have a bad day.

Demon farm, maybe, but grav/scat bikes supporting conclaves/seer council would easily delete multiple rhinos/sister units per turn with no problems, no?

luthhero

luthhero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
Actually they can't even be targeted by powers and they turn off any blessings or maledictions once their in range. In all truth they are harder than they appear to remove and they can focus on them and ignore the other parts of your army which I feel is just giving your opponent bad choices depending on how you build to complement them. Yes the non Pskyer armies don't care as much but they are still a unit that can hold an object and not many things want to engage the sword wielding girls in melee. In my opinion they do help to even the playing field against psyker lists. Doing the math really quick if you take all 3 you get to almost effectively blanket the board if you go first. 12 deploy+18(with flat out) + 18 bubble from the hull is covering your opponents deployment zone and if you turn them.sideways you effectively cut off the board lengthwise as well.

luthhero

luthhero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
Its especially good for DW since we like to Pod in veterans or even the BlackSpear. Interesting tidbit bit. The rhino is also a name of psykers so his Storm Bolter (and any hunter killer) get precision shots on all those psyhic guys

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts
I have 3 units of SoS. 2 units of 2 flamer/3 sword and a unit of 4bolter/1sword. Sister may be T3 and S4 with that sword, but they are I5 with a power sword. 1 sister with a sword is as cheap as just the sword on a vet, and they are faster and flamers are cheap! If you are a unit of vets, you don't want to charge double flamer and follow up with ap3 hitting before you can swing back

Mobius0288

Mobius0288

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

Y'all are getting me excited for SoS now. Is it better to mix up the weapons when allied with DW, or just try to focus on Flamers or Melee? Sounds like cheap frontline firepower even if you don't have psychers to fight.

Probably seems best to convoy with another unit (via rhino) or beacon into position via the relic? Two SoS and Rhinos seem optimal like Snake said. Maybe throw in an Inquisitor for more fluffyness!

I feel like adding Celestine after all that would take further away from the DW theme, but could also benefit the larger games.

Deathwatch | Imperial Fist | Imperial Knights | Skitarii | Inquisition

luthhero

luthhero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
Well for the points I think the Sword SoS are the best. 65 pts for the 5 man squad.
And I can understand if you are trying to stay true to being mostly DW you want to keep Celestine on the shelf. Maybe give a DW HQ a chance
  • Mobius0288 likes this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,824 posts

SoS are strong versus Magnus et al for a myriad of reasons which revolve around understanding the Psychic Abomination rule.

1.  Those models generate no WC and harness on a 6+ within range.  This cripples even the most powerful Psyker and makes their extra points spent for Mastery Levels completely worthless.

2.  Blessings and Maledictions completely vanish within range.  POOF!  Gone.  Most high-power Psykers rely on Invisibility/Veil of Time/etc. to stay alive.  SoS take this away just by existing.

3.  They cannot be targeted OR affected in any way by Psychic Powers.  Even Magnus' cheese-beam will sputter and die versus SoS, and that's even if he can somehow avoid their PA bubble.

The reason they're strong now is because their detachment (which comes at a total minimum tax of about 360 points, really not that much of an investment compared to how many points some players dump in Mastery Levels) gives them a huge bubble of 27" once all their units are on the table.  They don't even need to be next to each other for this to work.  Yes they're not the most durable units ever and Bikestar will run roughshod on them, but for the 1-2 turns they lock down Psykers your other 1500 or so points of army will be left to do as they will to the opponent's army, and that kind of freedom is absolutely worth the tax.

In a meta that seems to stroke Psykers' ego as much as 7th's does, I for one am INCREDIBLY excited for an option that will damper their spirits just a bit!

note:  SoS can absolutely use CAD.  Celestine, Cypher, Voldus, Cawl, or Greyfax can HQ for them!  :)

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

Vel'Cona, where are their TROOPS? They have no Troops. They are all Elite.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,223 posts

It's a lot of points that won't work on half of top 5 armies (Tau, Necrons) then you have Eldar and SM bikes who will delete them with ridiculous ease, psychic powers or not. Really, all the SoS work against are sad armies with a handful of supporting psykers, like, say, DW...

Correct me if I am wrong but Magnus doesn't care one bit about them, not only he can sweep one SoS unit per turn off table, his powers actually work on them from outside of the bubble and he can simply D-bomb them into oblivion...

Actually the Sisters can't even be affected... at all by psychic powers. So even a beam (which has no target) doesn't work. I think the best part about Magnus is he can't perils period, but aside from that if you can take about 110 points of Rhino + 5 man squad of SoS.... and shut down 1-2 psychic turns of a 650 point model... that's a really, really good trade off imo.

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts

Which begs another question some weapons are warp energy weapons

Fluff wise you'd expect at least some stuff not to work on them such as the Rift cannon DA have which can go into a vortex?

That would include D-Scythes  D-Cannon etc that eldar have as well?

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,223 posts

Which begs another question some weapons are warp energy weapons

Fluff wise you'd expect at least some stuff not to work on them such as the Rift cannon DA have which can go into a vortex?

That would include D-Scythes  D-Cannon etc that eldar have as well?

I think having a magic bullet for a phase of the game is enough... no need to nerf a pile of weapons as well. 

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,824 posts

I stand corrected, SoS are Elites.  I have no idea why I thought they were Troops.  Old age, madness, or just poor attention to detail?  You decide!  :P

Thing is, specifically to Magnus and other Psyker FMCs like Daemon Princes and Flyrants, this forces them to make tough decisions rather than just zoom around as a glorified dive bomber.  If they wants to delete the Sisters, they'll either have to land and take it to them in melee (you know, the other thing they're pretty good at) or stay far away and allow their dudes to clear out the SoS squads first.

Deathwatch in particular gain a huge boon from this as Psychic support is not a strong suit for them.  The SoS actually add some comparatively cheap bodies to the force and can help to take objectives while they passively protect the expensive Kill Teams from reprisal.

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts

I've seen numerous games where people forget that a unit has Psyk-out grenades a handy throw and hopefully your enemy doesn't roll the dreaded 6.

For SOS also your on re-rolls against a squad that contains a Psyker and not forgetting warp Siphon (-1 dice per squad to the warp pool)

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,824 posts

Where did you read Warp Siphon rules?  I didn't see them in the SoS rumours . . .

SnakeChisler

SnakeChisler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,518 posts

https://www.games-wo... Datasheets.pdf

I can't seem them changing core rules from the pdf they pushed out a couple of months back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users