Doghouse's 40k Stuff - The converting of Primaris begins...

Doghouse

On the whole though I think they wasted an opportunity here. I get why they played it safe but sometimes you have to take a risk, it would have maybe upset a lot of people to go full on truescale but they could have made incredible models. Being stuck with just Mk10 armour and it's variations detracts a lot from the mythos and lore of the Astartes to me and is incredibly limiting.

I can honestly see, once the hype has died down, these guys being outsold by their older brothers.

I completely agree with this except that I expect the hype won't die down for quite a while. I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of future Space Marines releases aren't Primaris related.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your conversions. If I get my hands on some Primaris it will be to convert them in to 'regular' marines, so seeing your's is a great inspiration :tu:

i reckon primaris will be the norm in a few years honestly, especially as mkX is specifically a set of different armours rather than a single pattern, gives them a lot of scope.

Multi Part kits will be what makes or breaks these guys I think

Yeah, the best thing would be if you can later buy mk2,3,4,5,6,7,8 style torsi, legs, shoulderpads and arks seperstely and mix them with the mkx.

And doghouse: as usual just inspirational. I will try to make them mk 3 inthe process because the legs resemble mk3 a bit and in my opinion it will be fairly easy to make a mk3 chestplate for them....or I fail^^.

Great work on the conversion. Good to see some existing bits working with the new big marines. Are the shoulder pads of a primaris the same size or close enough to the average marine?

Deathspectresgt7: Yeah I think it's the big round bit that does it and maybe the added cowling.

Vairocanum: Thanks mate :smile.:

Kizzdougs: Think you could be right there, I look forward to seeing what you come up with mate. :smile.:

Blindhamster: I think so too, even the rule book is a little sparse on regular marines from what I saw after a quick flick through earlier. I'm not getting my hopes up too much for the multipart guys when they arrive, I think GW models of late while impressive aren't really newbie friendly when it comes to construction. It feels too much like they are saying make them this way, this pose is cool where are the original models like the classic tactical squad are a lot more user friendly. I'd be happy if they just finally dropped the " stood with spread legs = dramatic" models. :biggrin.:

MikhalLeNoir: Thanks mate, Mk 3 should be entirely possible and I look forward to seeing what you come up with, :smile.:

hushrong: Thanks, yeah the shoulder pads are identical so once they go full on multipart you'll be able to mix in chapter specific shoulder pads or some of the older marks easily.

Quick update time

Originally my DIY chapter the Summoners were orange but I wanted to go with something that screamed Imperial and settled on gold and white. I'm still working on the white areas and need to clean up the knee pad but it's coming along nicely for the most part. I may take a chance and add a close combat weapon but I'm not buying the marine index purely because I know atleast the codex chapters are going to be getting  a new codex first I'd imagine.

With any luck they'll add more options to the Intercessors and allow ten man units but not getting my hopes up so for now I'm playing things safe.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uy0sa0.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rqf5lz.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/abkxep.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2e0iqso.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/dwamok.jpg

That is a great look! Gold definitely just rubs it in. Gene enhanced super human demi god reborn to wage war and he has fancy, gold armor! Love it!

Also good to hear about the shoulder pads. I am still on the fence about the Primaris marines...but you never know. I had been quite smitten when I saw them in Blood Angels colors honestly.

Kordhial: Thanks mate :smile.: I'm not sure what to do with the Inceptors at the moment but I think they may be a very effective unit so I've got another nine on the way so it gives me spares to snag bits off and play around a bit more. The Captain depends on what direction I take the army but I have a few ideas knocking about.

hushrong: Yeah the gold works quite well and I'm quite happy with the look so far. Plus it is pretty easy to paint which is a definite bonus.I have to say they are growing on me a bit now as I start to assemble them, potentially if you are willing to put up with the posing on these versions of the models you can pick up a squad of five at the moment for about ten quid on Ebay so even if you just wanted to try them out you are not looking at thirty pounds for five guys which is what I am guessing they will eventually cost when they go proper multi-part. I'd suggest people that want to see how they look but not have to spend a fortune this is a great way to get a unit for less than what a single monopose character would cost in some cases.

Quick Update

Well I've been mulling things over and flipping back and forth but think I have a plan now. The idea for the army will be that the Summoners were fighting on the northern rim of the galaxy when all hell broke loose and the tear in the galaxy appeared. Losing sight of the Astronomican leads them to fear the worst, believing the Emperor has died or Terra has been lost they manage to plot a course back to Imperial space but without the light to guide them it takes them over a century to get back. Along the way they have taken horrendous casualties, being depleted to less than a handful of units as they battle their way through the chaos incursions into real space.

They finally arrive in Sol basically ready to die, the culture they come from has a very strong death in battle code and they are basically ready to give their lives in the name of Him on earth only to learn of the return of the Primarch and all the other goings on since they left.

So they are of the mindset that their chapter is gone, they have no means knowing the fate of their home world and are all set to take one of two options all chapters face at this point. They opt to go out in a blaze of glory hunting the enemies of mankind until the last of their brothers fall in battle rather than rebuild and are basically told by Guilliman's people sorry that is not an option.

Instead they are fully replenished with the new Primaris marines. To them this is a great dishonour to not be allowed to share the fate of their brothers, their chapter is all but dead, their culture gone and in their current state they are in little position to recruit new Astartes from their homeworld.

The new Primaris marines are basically inexperienced being one of the later batches that has seen no combat, they are Summoners only in name and now the remaining veteran Astartes are expected to train and lead the new guys. It's basically a clash of ideology where you have the old Astartes reluctantly taking on the role of mentors to these new guys that will ultimately replace them.

So what I am looking at is using regular Astartes for things like Lieutenants or the Ancient leading the Primaris while being resentful of the fact that these new guys are pretty much taking their chapter from them.

I've got about another fifty or so Intercessors on the way purely because like I say they are seriously cheap compared to most models and it gives me plenty of room for conversions.

This guy is going to be a Primaris Lieutenant rather than a regular Astartes, the guy I am painting at the moment will also be using the Lieutenant rules but will be the ranking officer training the Primaris guy.

This is a pretty simple conversion using parts from the basic models and will will be a Lieutenant armed with power sword and bolt pistol.

http://i65.tinypic.com/k50s4l.jpg

RRChristensen: Thanks mate, I take that as a high compliment indeed. :smile.:

Yeah right now I can get these guys for about £2 each so I'm jumping on those while I can. :biggrin.:

I could use 6 squads of five Intercessors, 2 Lieutenants and an Ancient in Battalion formation at 732pts.

I could then throw in something like a Patrol detachment with two lots of Inceptors, two units of Intercessors and a Lieutenant for a further 1080pts.

I think that given the theme infantry heavy would be a great starting point but I could swap in some Hellblasters, Repulsors or Redemptor dreadnoughts depending on what gets released for these guys. I'll see how it goes and what comes with the new codex.

Getting lots of models on the cheap now means although they won't be nice as the multiparts when they arrive I have tons of material for conversions.

Olis: Yeah I posted a thread on it years ago in the Liber Astartes forum. I might have to revisit it, I seem to remember it being pretty dark. :biggrin.:

Olis: Yeah I posted a thread on it years ago in the Liber Astartes forum. I might have to revisit it, I seem to remember it being pretty dark. :biggrin.:

Now that I would like to see. :tu:

Great work! The one critique that I have is that their necks look a little long (it's more noticeable on the un-helmeted marine). I think it might just be the norm with the Primaris Marines as their heads/helmets all look a bit too high in comparison to their shoulder plates/torsos :tu:

Are the Primaris arms interchangeable with the Marine-scale ones?

Also, Doghouse, as the resident conversion expert, do you think it's possible to completely make these guys into the classic Marines?

Edited by Ugolino

Thanks guys :)

deathspectresgt7: I hope you make a speedy recovery mate and speaking as a fan of your marine project look forward to seeing what you do with your guys. :tu:

Kizzdougs: I'll have to do some measuring on that mate, you could well be right but I can always lop his head off and trim down the neck easily enough. I think the one main flaw with these models is the neck area, you don't notice it so much on helmeted marines but on the bare head guys the lack of detail in the area becomes blatantly apparent. To me it just looks like any shots from above are going to be directed straight into his face, I'm not a huge fan of the necks on these guys. All said and done it's a sci fi fantasy design and can't really be compared to real world realistically and to be honest I wouldn't want to but this just says let me help you hit me in the face. :D

I could easily alter this by sculpting a proper neck area like I have with some of the Hersey Blood Angels because they weren't designed to fitted together like a regular kit because I am converting them by mixing parts that weren't made to go together. But to be honest other than the Gravis guy I am working on I'm going to leave them as is.

Ugolino: The main problem with the standard marine arms is that they are too skinny really for even regular marines. These arms are really nice, they convey the bulk of the marine and the armour really well but regular marine arms will look a bit odd on these. You could probably make Mk7 quite easily from them by shaving down the areas on the forearms but I am guessing you are asking because you want more options in terms of posing.

There are a few models in the set that give you additional options like the Sergeants and Lieutenants that have arms that you could just replace the hands with regular marine hands pretty easily so stuff like the Grey Knights or some of the Devastator empty hands would work fine . From what I can see they would work really well as they are about the same size, the Lieutenant pictured above has a slightly bigger left hand that is open for some reason but all the others are standard marine sized.

There are a few models in the set that are quite useful for conversions. For the most part the models have atleast one shoulder pad attached to the torso and the arms plug into that, but a few have completely separate arms that have the shoulder pads attached to them rather than the body. These are main ones that are good for conversions and will work with the multipart set when it arrives really well.

If you wanted to make these guys into standard marines you probably could but it may take a little work. Main areas I would look at is firstly trimming down the legs on the sides like I did with my first guy, then maybe replace the abdominal area with that of regular marine torso so you have the cabling then trim the sides of the plate on the chest to create more of a flow. After that it's altering the tops of the knee pads, so in all it can take a lot of work but to be fair you could easily achieve something that resembled the older marks just by replacing the heads, shoulder pads and packs.

For the most part these could pass as Mk 8 models with very little work, it all depends on how confident you are when chopping them up and how much work you want to create for yourself. The starter kits aren't amazing for that kind of extensive conversion work but that might change with the multipart set when it arrives. The main advantage of these starter marines is that they are stupidly cheap right now so you can afford to mess a few up here and there and experiment, I've even seen the character models going for £4 each. If they are £30 a box like I am predicting then it gets a bit more expensive to risk chopping them up but you will have more options.

Kizzdougs: I'll have to do some measuring on that mate, you could well be right but I can always lop his head off and trim down the neck easily enough. I think the one main flaw with these models is the neck area, you don't notice it so much on helmeted marines but on the bare head guys the lack of detail in the area becomes blatantly apparent. To me it just looks like any shots from above are going to be directed straight into his face, I'm not a huge fan of the necks on these guys. All said and done it's a sci fi fantasy design and can't really be compared to real world realistically and to be honest I wouldn't want to but this just says let me help you hit me in the face. :biggrin.:

I could easily alter this by sculpting a proper neck area like I have with some of the Hersey Blood Angels because they weren't designed to fitted together like a regular kit because I am converting them by mixing parts that weren't made to go together. But to be honest other than the Gravis guy I am working on I'm going to leave them as is.

Yeah I completely agree. I notice the neck area issue when I saw the Primaris minis at my local GW. They almost look unfinished... and it doesn't help that the gorget is much wider (meaning that there is more empty space) than on the standard MkVIII armour or on the Deathwatch armour. 

For me the biggest question is what colour to paint the neck area. The same colour as the rest of the armour? Maybe a darker shade? Black? It will look particularly strange on minis with a bright colour scheme such as yellow or white. 

That's a call I'll just have to make whenever I get around to actually working with the Primaris minis.

Thanks guys :smile.:

deathspectresgt7: I hope you make a speedy recovery mate and speaking as a fan of your marine project look forward to seeing what you do with your guys. :thumbsup:

Kizzdougs: I'll have to do some measuring on that mate, you could well be right but I can always lop his head off and trim down the neck easily enough. I think the one main flaw with these models is the neck area, you don't notice it so much on helmeted marines but on the bare head guys the lack of detail in the area becomes blatantly apparent. To me it just looks like any shots from above are going to be directed straight into his face, I'm not a huge fan of the necks on these guys. All said and done it's a sci fi fantasy design and can't really be compared to real world realistically and to be honest I wouldn't want to but this just says let me help you hit me in the face. :biggrin.:

Ugolino: The main problem with the standard marine arms is that they are too skinny really for even regular marines. These arms are really nice, they convey the bulk of the marine and the armour really well but regular marine arms will look a bit odd on these. You could probably make Mk7 quite easily from them by shaving down the areas on the forearms but I am guessing you are asking because you want more options in terms of posing.

There are a few models in the set that give you additional options like the Sergeants and Lieutenants that have arms that you could just replace the hands with regular marine hands pretty easily so stuff like the Grey Knights or some of the Devastator empty hands would work fine . From what I can see they would work really well as they are about the same size, the Lieutenant pictured above has a slightly bigger left hand that is open for some reason but all the others are standard marine sized.

There are a few models in the set that are quite useful for conversions. For the most part the models have atleast one shoulder pad attached to the torso and the arms plug into that, but a few have completely separate arms that have the shoulder pads attached to them rather than the body. These are main ones that are good for conversions and will work with the multipart set when it arrives really well.

If you wanted to make these guys into standard marines you probably could but it may take a little work. Main areas I would look at is firstly trimming down the legs on the sides like I did with my first guy, then maybe replace the abdominal area with that of regular marine torso so you have the cabling then trim the sides of the plate on the chest to create more of a flow. After that it's altering the tops of the knee pads, so in all it can take a lot of work but to be fair you could easily achieve something that resembled the older marks just by replacing the heads, shoulder pads and packs.

For the most part these could pass as Mk 8 models with very little work, it all depends on how confident you are when chopping them up and how much work you want to create for yourself. The starter kits aren't amazing for that kind of extensive conversion work but that might change with the multipart set when it arrives. The main advantage of these starter marines is that they are stupidly cheap right now so you can afford to mess a few up here and there and experiment, I've even seen the character models going for £4 each. If they are £30 a box like I am predicting then it gets a bit more expensive to risk chopping them up but you will have more options.

Well, I'm not fussy about how I achieve it and I do like the poses of some of these guys but I basically want to achieve something completely identical to the older kits or artwork of oldMarines visually, especially dawn of war II's Blood Ravens- less after a massive army and more maybe all of...five Marines (I kinda like the idea of Marines as basically being small bands of supersoldiers with a Company formation being notable and a Chapter gathering as one being the stuff of legends), but I kinda want them to look perfect, if that makes sense?

I mean the new out of the box GW design is cool in its own right, but it's not my goal. Your stuff's already a major inspiration there and I'll admit I've kinda been waiting for you to get your hands on them haha.

Thanks for the advice- anything in particular you'd suggest keeping in mind when converting the kneepads like you did?

Edited by Ugolino

Kizzdougs: For me the only thing that might work is the same colour or a slightly darker version of that colour, I totally agree it does make them look unfinished that hits the nail on the head there.

A simple indentation creating a lower lip around the neck would have worked wonders. You could possibly add a very thin plasticard spacer within the collar to create small collar within the collar but it feels like a lot of work, it does need something to break up that space though.  

Ugoline: Trust me I'm probably the one person that 100% completely gets where you are coming from there! :D I am adding a few marines like that to my own army, mostly characters like Lieutenants and Ancients so any tips I pick up I will gladly share with you mate. ;)

If it is just five marines you are after I am certain I can help you out there with some suggestions.

Thanks for the advice- anything in particular you'd suggest keeping in mind when converting the kneepads like you did?

Well from the brief experimentation I did what I did was trim the top collar off the knee and then use some green stuff to clean up the top. I don't know if you are confident at all with green stuff but if need be I'll gladly work on a brief tutorial in a similar style I did for Cpt Ventris in regards to doing this. If you are careful enough though you could probably shave it down with just a hobby knife, I'm more of a hack and slash converter though. :D

The Hydra: Thanks mate I'm glad to hear that it has inspired you, that's one of the best compliments I could get. :tu: Good idea getting one of the guys on Ebay to play around with, look forward to seeing what you do with it. 

Kizzdougs: For me the only thing that might work is the same colour or a slightly darker version of that colour, I totally agree it does make them look unfinished that hits the nail on the head there.

A simple indentation creating a lower lip around the neck would have worked wonders. You could possibly add a very thin plasticard spacer within the collar to create small collar within the collar but it feels like a lot of work, it does need something to break up that space though.  

Ugoline: Trust me I'm probably the one person that 100% completely gets where you are coming from there! :biggrin.: I am adding a few marines like that to my own army, mostly characters like Lieutenants and Ancients so any tips I pick up I will gladly share with you mate. :wink:

If it is just five marines you are after I am certain I can help you out there with some suggestions.

Mostly, what's bothering me is how I'm going to shave down the rest of the legs/boots to match the old style- lots of shaving of the raised details is probably in order, though it'll make the arms and thighs look a bit plain given I can't really sculpt detail all that well. What you've done is already pretty cool, but does the back of the lower leg still have raised/lowered areas rather than being the flat layer of a "Standard" oldmarine? Bit hard to tell. If that's just a small detail rather than a structural difference from the old style, I can just fill it in with greenstuff haha.

Any idea how to get rid of the raised armor look under the eagle without, uh, disposing of the eagle? For a proper Mk VII look would I be better served filing down the edges of the "raised plate" or filling in the lower parts with careful and limited greenstuffing?