Doghouse's 40k Stuff - The converting of Primaris begins...

Doghouse

When you are looking at shaving down the legs the main obstacle is the large round ankle bit on the outer side. Luckily because it is so large it can be shaved so you can still maintain the shape of the bottom edge of the lower leg but it may leave some gaps. Rather than cutting away at the model it might be worth using a small file, this may take a little longer but will give you greater control.

The chest eagle is on a slightly raised plate on the chest but again by filing the edges of the plate it sits on or shaving you should be able to blend it into the torso to get an Mk 7 look to it fairly easily. The front of the torso is one piece similar to current plastic but it has the front of the belt and the groin attached to it. What might be an idea is if you plan on replacing the abdominal area with that of a regular marine torso would be to cut it above the belt then glue this on to the legs then cut out the abdominal area after.

The backs of the lower legs luckily are quite plain, the detailing isn't raised but is instead cut into the surface but there isn't a lot of it. 

Quick update

First squad on the go now, these will be lead by one of the regular marines. I rather stupidly tried to alter the Lieutenant model's collar and sort of made a mess of it so I may just rebuild him from scratch, never a good idea to make your first test model a character. :biggrin.:

http://i68.tinypic.com/oaxir4.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/anho9e.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2eci0at.jpg

Ok so I think I cracked it with the truescaling of these guys where people can convert them without GS.

Really simple stuff, I only had some carbon paper to work with but I will be getting some small files tomorrow so I can clean up the knee pads. Basically what I have done is cut of the tops of the knee pads then filed down the sides of the legs so it's level where the lip was, so mostly filing off the front half so it was level with the back.

Once I had done this I lightly filed down the detailing on the back. I'll be getting a small file tomorrow like I say to clean it up. 

I'd cut the torso at the waist just above the belt then i carefully cut away the upper breast plate behind the eagle around the edges of the aquila leaving it untouched. Really simple stuff.

I'll sort out the other leg and clean it up with the files tomorrow.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2yytwjm.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/28t9iip.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/1531krb.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/rsh0dz.jpg

Edited by Doghouse

Just a quick update for now.

I've had another go at making a Mk 7 themed marine, it's still WIP and a little rough and ready but at the moment I am still playing around with the kits to see what works.

I accidentally trimmed the torso down a bit too much after cutting him in half so removed the entire abdominal area and rebuilt it. I thought I'd take a more WYSIWYG approach with this guy's weapons this time

http://i67.tinypic.com/2nu38u1.jpg

Would you say sculpting those three gut cables was hard to do well?

Also that bolter arm really does look a bit strangely short and it has since the first leak of that sculpt...

Edited by Ugolino

The gut cables were trimmed off the front of a plastic Mk4, I just added a bit of green stuff at the top and bottom. The arm is the right size as the elbow reaches down roughly around the bottom of the rib cage, it's just that it is scrunched up to carry the weight of the gun (which I still think looks too big, give me regular bolters any day of the week! :D ).

It might be worth looking at some of the chaos marine torso fronts because a few have much larger cables on the stomach compared to the loyalist ones that are too small. The other alternative is to get some green stuff cable makers which is what I was going to do but got lazy! :D

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/roll-maker/69-roll-maker-tube-wire-machine.html

You probably could file down the join of the two abdominal plates then put cabling over that. Mine tend to be rushed botch jobs, bit like rough sketches, so I can work stuff out to pass onto others. So if you took your time it should be easy enough to replicate with no green stuff.

personally, i think if you're going to go to the effort of adding cables, you ought to sculpt them, or maybe use some modelling cables, a big thing about the new primaris stuff is that the abdomen area actually looks like its moving to fit the pose - using plastic bits from existing ones completely circumvents that.

on a different note, loving what you're doing as always Doghouse.

Thanks mate :)

Yeah sculpting is probably the best route, I should have taken more time to do that myself but nothing to say I can't go back and change it. You're right about the primaris plates, from the sounds of it it sounds like the reason we're getting two part torso and legs rather three separate pieces like with regular marines from what Jes Goodwin was saying.

Just a very quick update

I've got 30 of the Intercessors on the go at the moment but in the meantime just a quick update with the Lieutenant. He's starting to come together now although I have made a few changes most notably the red inserts on the shoulder pads and a different chapter icon. The white was proving too much of a pain in the end and to be honest I do like painting red more, it is leaning into Minotaurs territory with the colour scheme but it works for me.

Just noticed the mold line on the sword which I used from the limited edition Terminator Captain so will have to clean that up, still need to shade and highlight it too so shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm taking a bit of a gamble adding the power sword but it is entirely possible characters will have a lot more options in the new codex so I may bump him up to Captain instead if that is the case. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/205rswi.jpg

Dog, what can i say to the father of truescale, other than fall over myself to praise your work? Too much arse licking? Probably...

Anyway, your summoners look fantastic and it is great to see you already tinkering with the Primaris models and altering them to fit the Mk7 look. I'll admit i think the gold and white looks much better as the colour scheme "pops" more and really stands out but the red is decent! :wink:

Now i am back i really need to get my hands on the Primaris...

Edited by Pulse

Dog, what can i say to the father of truescale, other than fall over myself to praise your work? Too much arse licking? Probably...

Anyway, your summoners look fantastic and it is great to see you already tinkering with the Primaris models and altering them to fit the Mk7 look. I'll admit i think the gold and white looks much better as the colour scheme "pops" more and really stands out but the red is decent! :wink:

Now i am back i really need to get my hands on the Primaris...

The traveler returns!

Doghouse, which bits from the old Marine kits are useable for Primaris conversions?

Literally all parts other than legs and maybe arms, right? For arms, is it practical to convert them to roughly the same proportions as the Primaris?

Edited by Ugolino

Pulse!? Pulse is back? Good grief, I haven't seen that name for quite a while... Apologies, Doghouse, for the slight derail - welcome back, Pulse! :biggrin.:

It has been a while!

The traveler returns!

*bows*

Any update Dog? :)

I have just sat and read the whole thread, outstanding and inspiring work :woot:  I may just have to have a go at this! can I ask a quick question, the legs you use for the heresy era marine, is that just a leg set from the Mk 3 armour plastic set, or something else? They look so large next to the normal plastic marine in the picture.

Looking forward to your "how to true scale the Primaris marines so that they are in scale with your true scale marines tutorial" coming soon I hope :wink:

I have just sat and read the whole thread, outstanding and inspiring work :woot:  I may just have to have a go at this! can I ask a quick question, the legs you use for the heresy era marine, is that just a leg set from the Mk 3 armour plastic set, or something else? They look so large next to the normal plastic marine in the picture.

Looking forward to your "how to true scale the Primaris marines so that they are in scale with your true scale marines tutorial" coming soon I hope :wink:

They're a mixture of the plastic Cataphractii and Tartaros legs :tu:

They're a mixture of the plastic Cataphractii and Tartaros legs :thumbsup:

Ah! thank you bud :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...