Doghouse's 40k Stuff - The converting of Primaris begins...

Doghouse

The champion and World Eater look fantastic, love the fluff for the shoulder pad! Also that Thunder Warrior is a great conversion, really captures the feel of the classic models, looking forward to seeing more!

Brother-Captain Arkan: Thanks mate. :biggrin.:

Brother Dallo: It is possible, I have enough for about ten models at the moment but like you say it'd probably have to be Chaos Marine rules.

ShotgunFaceLift: The torso is the front half of the Tartarus terminator torso put on the back of a regular marine.

Vairocanum: Thanks mate, I think getting a little story in your mind helps when making models for a project like this.

Charlo: Thanks mate, I've seen a few like this on this board using AoS parts and figured I'd give it a bash. I've bashed the pose on the original Thunder Warrior which has turned out fairly well so far.

Cpt Ventris: Fantastic stuff mate, glad to hear it! :tu:

Quick Update 

Started work on the fourth guy now, still early days but I'm fixing the markings in place so I can weather them and try to blend them in a bit so they are standing out quite so much against the red. For this guy I'm thinking of making him one of the Word Bearers that was left on Calth because rogue Word Bearers are a lot harder to justify. The idea will be that after a couple of years in the caverns below Calth he has stumbled across a great depository of ancient books. His faith lost in the Emperor and doubting the new path of the Legion he turns to a much older traditional Terran religion and some how escapes linking up with the renegade Astartes.

I want to try and throw in some Sons of Horus next maybe.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14w4qyg.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2czbotk.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2s63uol.jpg

These guys are coming along nicely. They've got that ragtag bunch of misfits feel but are also clearly badasses!

That last pic makes me think of the opening of a movie or something. I can see the 4 of them casually walking towards the camera through a smokey battlefield in slow motion with explosions all around them.

Great work as always :)

What torso are you using for the Champion/World Eater models?

Just in case I got confused there the pure World Eater guy uses the AoS khorne guys for the torso.

Ikka: I do have a Terminator in Cataphracti I started to make to this scale a while back so it might be an excuse to have another go at him, I would like to do a Raptor so definately a possibility.

I've gotta say. I've collected photos of a number of peoples' takes on Thunder Warriors over the last few months for my own impending Unification Wars project.

And of these, yours is hands down the best combination of the 'traditional' art, sensibility, and *scale* that I've yet seen. 

The facial expression and the use of the 25th Anniversary Marine arm and weapon just *make* it further!

Well done! This log continues to impress all up [that Word Bearer, for instance, is beautiful]. YOu'll no doubt continue to see echoes from everybody else of your excellent conceptwork and inspirational material. 

Thanks mate, I genuinely appreciate the compliment. :)

Check out CommodusIII's Thunder Warrior project log here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325395-true-scale-thunder-warriors/?hl=+true%20+scale%20+thunder%20+warrior which is what inspired me to have a bash myself.

Like you say I just then embellished the idea a bit further working in a uniform feel inspired by the original model and trying to get an old school vibe to the model.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to approach Thunder Warriors but I want a uniform feel to the models with subtle variations. To me this was the dawn of the Imperium and using a set look with subtle variations helps to show the empire forming as a proper army as opposed to the techno-barbarians of the time.

Having seen your excellent truescale guys for your INQ28 stuff I'm sure it's something you could easily pull off. :tu:

And another update of sorts...

With 8th on the way I am determined to get a 40k army up and running and while I am probably going to end up running the new scale marines I do want to have some regular marines thrown into the mix.

For this I am going with the Black Templars, mainly because I think they are the embodiment of the grim dark gothic nature of the modern Imperium and hopefully will contrast well with the new boys.

I've not long started these guys but at the moment am working on the black of the armour and just setting out a feel for the models.

The goal to start off with is twenty Astartes and a Castellan to lead them, originally I was leaning towards Imperial Fists but these guys present a much better way of maintaining the feel of the gothic circus that is the Imperium.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2r2op04.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2czhmo.jpg

Cheers guys. :smile.:

deathspectre17: I think once I expand the team a bit I may have to include some of the more modern renegades chapters.

Eldrick Shadowblade: Yeah I really like the idea of these guys fighting each other over who gets the plates from a fallen comrades armour, it's a nice contrast to the reverence that Imperial Astartes give to their armour and weapons.

Ok this update is a model that has been bugging me for some time. I got it as a birthday present a couple of months ago, assembled it, sprayed an undercoat which then went wrong and a lot of the detail was obscured. It then got dropped and the iron halo broke so I put it in a box and left it to sit in frustration.

Yesterday I was searching through my bits box and oddly enough came across the head of Ferrus Mannus and then I had an idea...

http://i65.tinypic.com/990236.jpg

Painting this guy gold was a bad idea I think, picking out all the blue has been a pain in the butt and I now have to go back over him and outline all the detailing to make it stand out and try to clean up areas where the detailing was obscured. I think I can salvage the model and although I absolutely hate the idea of loyalist Primarchs this simple repose and head swap from the cartoony masters of the universe head really does make the model for me. So much in fact that although I really don't like using special characters with a passion I think I will be using this guy if I can save him to lead my army.

He's just base coated at the moment and I am attempting to painstakingly clean him up but I am taking breaks to slowly work on the sword slowly blending it from red to a bright yellow.

In short this model represents everything I really do not like, living primarchs, over the top embellishment, flames...but I am going to make this work and create something that works for me.

If the Primarch must rise then he's going to rise in style!

I think that is probably one of the least weird things that is going to happen in 8th! :D

Fortunately most of the Primarchs are very similar in look so I should be able to get away with it with a bit of tinkering.

Cheers guys :smile.:

Had a bit of a disaster involving a shelf falling onto to my desk and breaking quite a few models I was working on, nothing major and it can be fixed but the Champion lost his pointing finger some how and the BT Castellan sword has gone awol.

Nothing I can't fix though.

So rather than go back and work on those grumbling to myself about wall plugs and brackets I put these guys together.

http://i66.tinypic.com/6jf4t0.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/16c5gs3.jpg

Now I have a couple of options here but due to the frustrating drip feed of information of 8th edition I'm at a bit of a cross roads. Part of me is wanting to go full on Admech/Astartes here under the Imperial keyword but another is saying go Word Bearers, whichever of the two I decide on I want this mob compatible with HH and 40k so for now it's looking like either Imperial Fists, Blood Angels or Word Bearers.

Which out of the Imperial Fists, Blood Angels and Word Bearers have you not painted a model or force for? Honestly I think that those models would look pretty badass as the Fists or Angels.