Doghouse's 40k Stuff - The converting of Primaris begins...

Doghouse

Thanks guys :)

I wanted to try something a little different for a change and thought I'd take a bash and putting together a cheap and cheerful video on my thoughts on the new Primaris Armour. I might try and use videos to put together some tutorials or maybe miniature reviews if it goes well.

I don't think Spielberg has anything to worry about just yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ3kTb2HbtY&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Doghouse40k

@Doghouse: I agree with the gist man; pick a thing you like and do it.

As for doing videos, there's plenty of good tops online for audio/ video editing and good free open source software to do it.
I'd turn up the recording volume/ compress the audio to bump up the output volume... it was little quiet

Nice one cheers for the advice, it's greatly appreciated and I will definitely give it a try . :thumbsup:

To be honest I've no idea how any of this video making works, my technological know how extends about as far as operating the toaster. I botched it together using Movie Maker and a headset. Being a Youtuber isn't something I'd really be into but figured I might as well give it a go because I get a lot of messages from people asking about conversion and GS advice and I could see this being a valuable tool in that respect...if I can figure it out. I did quite enjoy voicing some rambles though rather than relying on text.

Edited by Doghouse

Definitely a good idea mate! :tu:

I think there is a lot of people that may well enjoy sculpting but are put off because it sounds scary, I think the more people that are willing to clear away the smoke and get them started the better.  

Edited by Doghouse

Maybe I learn better seeing it done than reading about it, but a lot of the written sculpting tutes I've gone through over the years really didn't help me that much. Some general tips have been helpful, but as an example, it took me forever to get a handle on smoothing out GS and I see a lot of people struggling with the same and I really don't know how useful writing out how I do it would be much help.

What about taking pictures and then narrating over them? A bit like I did with the tutorial in this thread but making a slide show and talking over it?

I think even some basic explaining of tools and putties might help some if it de-mystifies it and might give you some practice in case you do get a video capable camera. 

Aye, I think more video on Green Stuff techniques and tips would be fantastic.
There is stuff out there, but a lot of it misses out the basic principals that experienced sculptors probably take for granted, but for new folk make such a significant difference.

On the video front, I just read things online and watched YouTube videos to learn how to do video/ audio editing and such.
I got some basic tips for y'all to get you started if you're interested (a lot of it wont make sense until your doing it mind XD)

Download Audacity (it's a free piece of open source software).
You can record and edit your Audio in this program to improve the quality.

Basic Audio editing using Audacity

• Compress audio:
    Select Track > Effects > Compressor
    Threshold -20bd
    Ratio 6:5:1
    Compress based on peaks
  • Remove noise:
    Select some noise (sound of mouse clicks for example) on track > Effects > Noise removal > Get noise profile
    Select whole track > Effects > Noise removal > ok
  • Adjust volume;
    Select Whole Track > effects > amplify >Adjust as needed  > ok
  • Export as .MP3

You can then pop it in to your video editing software(I'd recommend Adobe Premier if possible, but window Movie Makers does the job tbf)

As for Video, you can use almost anything to record the video; iphones have a really good quality video these days, given the right lighting, just make sure whatever you use you keep it steady with a tripod.

Webcams are also good, so long as they're decent (I use a Logitech C920 HD pro 1090p... it's relatively inexpensive and quite good quality).
If you're recording via webcam just download some free recording software. OBS is good as it allows you to stream the process too, if you so wish.
If you decided to use obs, I'd recommend downloading another program called Handbrake. It allows you to convert the file type of the recording.
Some video editing software wont allow you to edit the files that OBS exports otherwise.

Very basic starting point, but it'll get you off the ground and you can kick on from there.

Yep, I can recommend Audacity as well. As far as free audio editing software goes, it's one of the best. If you have access to premiere pro or similar even better, but for stuff like this it's not mandatory. You can go a long way with recording on smartphone and then working with movie maker.

As DarkHazz13 mentioned, a tripod will be necessary such as those small, flexible ones, which are fortunately pretty cheap. Depending on the level of details you want to capture, a macro lens for your phone (which is attached either with rubber band or a clip, nothing complicated) might be a good idea, too.  

Never underestimate the effects of good lighting, but since you guys know how to take good picture that shouldn't be an issue. :smile.:

So getting back to the Blood Angels.

I've got a bit done but will hopefully have some time today to go through and get the rest of these guys done so I can start mass painting. The Warden is looking ok for a model that was thrown together and I have some ideas for the paint scheme that will help a bit. The Warden is a bit tricky because I want to go completely overboard on this guy but it doesn't really fit how I see armies of the Great Crusade. I'm adding a simple command braid in addition to the other bits to imply some sort of past Blood Angels regiment honour when the forces of the Unification Wars were most likely a lot more uniform in organisation.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wdxanl.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nywlsy.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/qsm71w.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2e1rsxh.jpg

Thanks mate :)

I've got enough bits for another 43 of these guys so they should keep me going for a while. I do have plans for the Primaris guys I'm going to be making hybrid marines, so using the new guys but showing people how to incorporate past versions of armour into the models.

I'm set on making regular marines that have gone through the new process but still retain the aesthetics of the existing armours, so still Primaris but retaining the history of the Chapters.

Thanks mate, I had a feeling that might be the case. :thumbsup:

Another quick bash at a youtube video explaining how to run an online painting campaign.

The system I have designed allows people to run either a painting campaign to encourage people to get their armies ready for 8th edition or it can used as a traditional campaign system.

Hopefully the sound isn't as bad as the last one but it is a very simple but tactical system that allows players who are solely into painting to run their own campaign creating the lore and narrative of the planet they fight over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8e1Bkdgu64&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Doghouse40k

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate :smile.:

So I finally got my hands on the Primaris and so decided to do a quick conversion to see what works with these guys. Good news is existing heads do indeed fit as do the packs. I'm not a huge fan of the collar so have cut this down which was incredibly simple and have begun to trim the collar on the knee pads which I will be reshaping the tops of once I've cleaned them up with some GS.

These are very nice models and with a little tinkering should be easy to make look more like the other marks we all know and love. Personally speaking I think the bolt rifles are a tad long and with a little work the shoulder pads could be removed if you wanted which is something I will be doing. The hands are pretty much the same size so the original marine hands shouldn't look too out of place.

These rather excited pictures show the size compared to my true scale MkIII and a Death Watch partially assembled marine.

http://i67.tinypic.com/33tpc0m.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2n9z777.jpg

Taking the concept a little further now I'm starting to push the kit to see what works. There are a couple of points that I am not really a fan of when it comes to these new guys, firstly the gun is huge and secondly the pack is very T'au feeling to me. I know it makes sense that the designs have progressed but at the end of the day I say if it's not broken then don't fix it, I much prefer the classic designs.

I've trimmed the sides down on the lower legs and removed the ankle bobbles so that it is more of a classic Mk7 look. From what I can tell all the helmets and heads will fit these guys fine so I used a spare Prospero Burns marine head on this guy to see how it works. I also tried removing the bolt rifle and replaced it with a more traditional Phobos pattern bolter.

It's very easy to be judgemental of these new kits but they are not really the final product, these are just the mono-pose guys and I expect we may see better things with the proper multi-part kits. One thing that did irk me a bit though was that Jes Goodwin said the multi-part will be fixed torso and legs to protect the flow of the abdominal plate. I think drifting away from the classic marine multi-part marines isn't a great idea personally. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/rir9dk.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/28guwpf.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2hoxrhv.jpg

Thanks mate :)

Yeah on the whole they are not bad models to play around with. I'm waiting to see what happens with the Blood Angels Heresy Transfer sheet in the meantime before I get back to work on those guys. For now, these make an interesting distraction. I think I'm going to make this guy into a Primaris Lieutenant for a revamp of my Summoners. As it's been a hundred odd years since the Primaris were put into action I'm probably going to have this guy be an Astartes that has been upgraded and had his original gear modified.

Yeah, it's nice some of the existing parts fit so well.

I've been playing around with the kits on and off today and have come to the conclusion I'm going to do truescale marines with these guys. Although it is still very early the feel I am getting from these guys is a very elite formation on their own, looking through the lore there is still talk of the bulk of chapter's being original marines still which is encouraging.

Maybe if they upped the squad size to ten and allowed special or heavy weapons it'd make them a little more interesting and to be fair we don't have the codex yet so this could still happen. For all I know they may give them access to flamers, plasma guns, etc. I'm still convinced we will see a lot of changes with the updated codexes for all races and no army is yet truly represented correctly as it will be in 8th, these are all stop gap how to use your seventh edition army in eighth.

On the whole though I think they wasted an opportunity here. I get why they played it safe but sometimes you have to take a risk, it would have maybe upset a lot of people to go full on truescale but they could have made incredible models. Being stuck with just Mk10 armour and it's variations detracts a lot from the mythos and lore of the Astartes to me and is incredibly limiting.

I can honestly see, once the hype has died down, these guys being outsold by their older brothers.