Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Doghouse's 40k Stuff

Shadow War: Armageddon

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners

Thanks guys :)

I wanted to try something a little different for a change and thought I'd take a bash and putting together a cheap and cheerful video on my thoughts on the new Primaris Armour. I might try and use videos to put together some tutorials or maybe miniature reviews if it goes well.

I don't think Spielberg has anything to worry about just yet...

• Brother Chaplain Kage and Raztalin like this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

SHADOW WAR: HORUS HERESY PROJECT RULES

http://www.bolterand...r-horus-heresy/

DarKHaZZ13

DarKHaZZ13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,268 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders

@Doghouse: I agree with the gist man; pick a thing you like and do it.

As for doing videos, there's plenty of good tops online for audio/ video editing and good free open source software to do it.
I'd turn up the recording volume/ compress the audio to bump up the output volume... it was little quiet

• Doghouse likes this

-DH- Innocence proves nothing

Twitch Channel & YouTube Channel
Personal Blog - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Board Game E-Zine - The Cardboard Cartographer
Hobby Blog - The Underhive Hero

You know you play too much 40k when, after a 'good night' with your significant other, you perform a sweeping advance instead of letting her go to sleep. After you finish, you declare it a massacre, and attempt to consolidate D6 feet towards the shower and/or kitchen.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts

Nice one cheers for the advice, it's greatly appreciated and I will definitely give it a try . thumbsup.gif

To be honest I've no idea how any of this video making works, my technological know how extends about as far as operating the toaster. I botched it together using Movie Maker and a headset. Being a Youtuber isn't something I'd really be into but figured I might as well give it a go because I get a lot of messages from people asking about conversion and GS advice and I could see this being a valuable tool in that respect...if I can figure it out. I did quite enjoy voicing some rambles though rather than relying on text.

Edited by Doghouse, 23 May 2017 - 10:52 PM.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,837 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I'm looking into doing the same in the near future with the intent of helping some folks get more comfortable with GS by making a few vids.

dVIGLrG.png TMRPHVx.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts

Definitely a good idea mate! :tu:

I think there is a lot of people that may well enjoy sculpting but are put off because it sounds scary, I think the more people that are willing to clear away the smoke and get them started the better.  

Edited by Doghouse, 23 May 2017 - 11:10 PM.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,837 posts

Maybe I learn better seeing it done than reading about it, but a lot of the written sculpting tutes I've gone through over the years really didn't help me that much. Some general tips have been helpful, but as an example, it took me forever to get a handle on smoothing out GS and I see a lot of people struggling with the same and I really don't know how useful writing out how I do it would be much help.

• Doghouse likes this

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts

Your best bet is put together a video. Being shown rather than purely explained to is one of the best ways to teach others hands down.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,837 posts

I don't have much in the way of a video camera though.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts

What about taking pictures and then narrating over them? A bit like I did with the tutorial in this thread but making a slide show and talking over it?

I think even some basic explaining of tools and putties might help some if it de-mystifies it and might give you some practice in case you do get a video capable camera. 

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

DarKHaZZ13

DarKHaZZ13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,268 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders

Aye, I think more video on Green Stuff techniques and tips would be fantastic.
There is stuff out there, but a lot of it misses out the basic principals that experienced sculptors probably take for granted, but for new folk make such a significant difference.

On the video front, I just read things online and watched YouTube videos to learn how to do video/ audio editing and such.
I got some basic tips for y'all to get you started if you're interested (a lot of it wont make sense until your doing it mind XD)

Download Audacity (it's a free piece of open source software).
You can record and edit your Audio in this program to improve the quality.

Basic Audio editing using Audacity

• Compress audio:
    Select Track > Effects > Compressor
    Threshold -20bd
    Ratio 6:5:1
    Compress based on peaks
  • Remove noise:
    Select some noise (sound of mouse clicks for example) on track > Effects > Noise removal > Get noise profile
    Select whole track > Effects > Noise removal > ok
  • Adjust volume;
    Select Whole Track > effects > amplify >Adjust as needed  > ok
  • Export as .MP3

You can then pop it in to your video editing software(I'd recommend Adobe Premier if possible, but window Movie Makers does the job tbf)

As for Video, you can use almost anything to record the video; iphones have a really good quality video these days, given the right lighting, just make sure whatever you use you keep it steady with a tripod.

Webcams are also good, so long as they're decent (I use a Logitech C920 HD pro 1090p... it's relatively inexpensive and quite good quality).
If you're recording via webcam just download some free recording software. OBS is good as it allows you to stream the process too, if you so wish.
If you decided to use obs, I'd recommend downloading another program called Handbrake. It allows you to convert the file type of the recording.
Some video editing software wont allow you to edit the files that OBS exports otherwise.

Very basic starting point, but it'll get you off the ground and you can kick on from there.

• Doghouse likes this

-DH- Innocence proves nothing

Twitch Channel & YouTube Channel
Personal Blog - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Board Game E-Zine - The Cardboard Cartographer
Hobby Blog - The Underhive Hero

You know you play too much 40k when, after a 'good night' with your significant other, you perform a sweeping advance instead of letting her go to sleep. After you finish, you declare it a massacre, and attempt to consolidate D6 feet towards the shower and/or kitchen.

Isengrin

Isengrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 255 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night Lords

Yep, I can recommend Audacity as well. As far as free audio editing software goes, it's one of the best. If you have access to premiere pro or similar even better, but for stuff like this it's not mandatory. You can go a long way with recording on smartphone and then working with movie maker.

As DarkHazz13 mentioned, a tripod will be necessary such as those small, flexible ones, which are fortunately pretty cheap. Depending on the level of details you want to capture, a macro lens for your phone (which is attached either with rubber band or a clip, nothing complicated) might be a good idea, too.  

Never underestimate the effects of good lighting, but since you guys know how to take good picture that shouldn't be an issue. smile.png

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,164 posts

Cheers for the advice guys, I will look into that, I'll probably have another bash at it at some point. I'd like to do one on these Blood Angels.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shadow War: Armageddon

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users