Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shadow War Armageddon: Chaos Marines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,802 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners

Although we currently don't know the rules for the game I'm going to get started on a warband so that when it hits the stores I'll be ready to roll. While I do regret that it's not actually Necromunda being a long time fan and player of the game the more I think about this game the more I like the idea of 40k armies being the focus rather than specific gangs. For starters if you have even a partially assembled and painted 40k army chances are you are good to go and secondly the range of possible warbands is HUGE compared to having to wait for a drip release of new plastic gangers.

The other good thing about this system is that there are so many models I'd love to have a sound reason to buy and paint but I really can't justify buying a box of models that will never see the table because the army doesn't interest me. So with this in mind, I'm taking a gamble and going with Chaos Marines.

The possibilities for narrative are amazing (even though I am keeping my expectations low) and one thing I did learn from my many hours of playing the likes of Necromunda and Gorkamorka is that it can be amazing fun as you watch your fledgling group of warriors step out into the harsh world of 40k and do their best to survive and thrive battling it out with your friends.

So with this in mind I am going with the narrative of a small group of Chaos Marines who captured a small Imperial transport and are surviving through raids on remote outposts or even turning up on far flung worlds declaring themselves to be servants of the Emperor and demanding tithes from locals who most likely have only ever seen a space marine in ancients texts or paintings. I find the idea of a large number of the Imperium never having set eyes on an Astartes fascinating and something I think that renegades might try to use to their advantage.

Basically these guys are nobodies in the greater scheme of things, they are not the Khans or Abaddons of the universe, they are forced to raid small outposts and scavenge wargear from the dead. They are not a tightly knit band of brothers, they are bought together out of a mutual need for survival and do not trust each other in the slightest. 

The idea I am playing with is that after a raid on a remote agriworld they have entered the warp but due to a miscalculation they emerge in real space near Armageddon right in the middle of a battle between massive Imperial Battleships and Ork Kroozers as their tiny ship is heavily damaged in the cross fire forcing them to crash on Armageddon itself. From here their goal is simply to survive and escape no matter the cost.

WIP Champion

I'm assuming Bolter, Chainsword and Bolt Pistol are fairly safe bets for a load out even though I've no idea how this will work beyond a list of options. This guy is a former Sergeant of the Death Guard that never turned with the rest of the Legion to Nurgle. A survivor of the Istvaan Massacre and with both sides of the conflict treating him and his men as the enemy, he and his surviving brothers were driven out to the Eye of Terror during the Scouring and now he has emerged ten thousand years later into a universe of utter madness. He's bitter to see the Empire he proudly fought to create during the Great Crusade turn against him despite his loyalty and curses the betrayal of his Primarch. Now he plunders worlds killing traitor and loyalist alike, the splendour of the Great Crusade little more than a distant memory.

Still early days at the moment as I am slowly building up the bone to an off white. I've given him a Blood Angels arm and Ultramarines leg to show how he has had to scavenge parts from dead enemies and I like how the arm is a nod to the Dusk Raiders which may or may not be intentional on his part. The other aspect of this I like is that each panel and plate is probably of huge significance to the Chapter which it came from, the plates probably were present at historic victories or belonged to great heroes but to him it's just armour to replace the damaged plates of his own suit. It's something that always struck me with the original Space Wolves 13th company with the models having various parts from traitor legions that they had looted on their war in the Eye.

I'm using the standard 40k embossed bases, partially to save time and partially because I think it fits well to the setting of the game. The lighting is not great on these but it will do for now till I can get some better ones up. 

343t4xs.jpg

2e6ebkp.jpg

e5r3hh.jpg

2ep0e3n.jpg

34ee0ap.jpg

• Draakur, Lexington, Wulox and 7 others like this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

CURRENT PROJECT LOG: IMPERIAL FISTS AND IRON WARRIORS

http://www.bolterand...6/#entry4559676

Kordhal

Kordhal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

Fantastic work! Really loving the mix and match feel to his armour, and am excited to see what you come up with next!

brettfp

brettfp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
  • Chapter Name: Savlar Chem Dogs
I really like the idea behind him. The betrayed brother out for revenge. And he looks amazing. The colouring looks really good with the clashing red and blue :)

My Savlar Chem Dogs WIP - 'Cry Havok and let slip the Chem Dogs of war!'

++Horrific Abominations++  - Mechanical Daemons (The Maniac's Laboratory)

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpg

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,802 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners

Kordhal: Thanks mate smile.png

brettfp: Cheers smile.png I really am a fan of the idea of these guys really being down on their luck and having to scavenge resources where ever they can find them. It also creates a difference in mentality between the Legions and the Astartes in regards to wargear with the loyalists going into battle in ancient relics where as the traitors don't care about that kind of thing and are just looting working parts to keep their gear going.

Quick update

Slowly building up to a white (although the pictures have washed out most of the highlights and shading). In person it's coming along nicely, basically I'm now just applying milky washes of Ceramite White building it up greater where the light would hit. I need to highlight the face more but it's getting there now. Seriously fighting the urge to go full Heresy era on these guys and repaint the stolen parts of armour but that is not what I want to achieve from this project. :D

2552c7m.jpg

WIP Traitor Ultramarine

While still extremely rough the next guy is more of a contemporary Astartes and is a bit of a test model at the moment so I am trying various bits and pieces on it to see what works and what doesn't. The idea behind this guy is that he is an an Ultramarine that has turned to chaos after becoming separated or perhaps captured and corrupted by the ruinous powers.

I want this to be a stark contrast to the Legionnaire seen above. This guy has existed in the more recent years of the narrative, I'm using the Death Watch master head to give him a more mature feel despite the fact the Legionnaire is technically a lot older.

The rough idea I am playing with is that this guy turned around the 37th/38th millennium so has aged a great deal during that time. He will be a full blown devote of chaos and the rough sketching on the model will eventually be devotion markings. It's kind of a play on the modern god worshiping mentality, so you have these dedicated Legionnaires raised on the Imperial Truth with some degree free will contrasting against the modern indoctrinated Astartes who when removed of the opportunity to follow one technical God they turn to another. It's an aspect I find interesting and wish to explore a bit more.   

The idea is that this guy is the warband's guide to the universe of 40k for the Legionnaires in the group. Obviously he has his own motives but right now it serves his purposes to explain just how the Imperium works. This guy is partially why I went with an Ultramarines leg for the Death Guard guy, although they are very different characters I felt it tied the two together a little visually.

wsqhs.jpg

35chk4k.jpg

k2fpt5.jpg

• Lexington and deathspectersgt7 like this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

CURRENT PROJECT LOG: IMPERIAL FISTS AND IRON WARRIORS

http://www.bolterand...6/#entry4559676

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,633 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Aurora Chapter

Hot damn, I love these. Incredible work.

linkbanner.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CardinalVirtue