Deathstrike Missile Launcher

Indefragable

When was the last time anyone used one?

I've always found it impractical, let alone in normal games, let alone in our current world of D weapons.....but I've had a sudden interest. 

Deathstrike Missile

Hidden Content

12" - Unlimited Range S10 AP1 Ordnance 1, Apocalyptic Blast, Barrage, Ignores Cover, One Use Only

150pts for something that can annihilate good portions of the enemy's force in a single shot seems like an excellent Distraction Carnifex. 

Btw....does Ordnance 1 + AP1 mean it's effectively AP0? Aka add +3 to Vehicle Damage table? That actually would bring it back a bit in my eyes....especially considering that with an Apocalyptic Blast you are pretty going to hit your target no matter how bad the scatter.

Give it Bring It Down in the Emperor's Wrath Formation for extra lolz. 

TL; DR: I've always considered the Deathstrike a silly fun unit, but never seriously considered bringing one. Does it deserve a second (fourth) look? 

It's a fun tactic if not  the best, str 10 ap1 ignores cover 10" will murder the enemy army on a lucky roll. It's got a fearsome reputation so the enemy may expend a lot of effort into killing it saving your other units

Against a deepstrike heavy force I wouldn't bother with it as it's likely to get melta'd in the rear armour but it could be a real threat to hordes or mechanised armies (if you get lucky)

Ordnance doesn't give +1 on the damage chart it rolls 2d6 for armour pen and picks the highest

I like bringing it. At the very least its a distraction carnifex. If it goes off it does a bucket load of damage too.

I prefer it over the manticore. Especially in the emperors wrath formation.

I've taken it in both friendly and competitive games. Although its not a must have I usually have a good laugh with it anyways.

It's a fun tactic if not the best, str 10 ap1 ignores cover 10" will murder the enemy army on a lucky roll. It's got a fearsome reputation so the enemy may expend a lot of effort into killing it saving your other units

Against a deepstrike heavy force I wouldn't bother with it as it's likely to get melta'd in the rear armour but it could be a real threat to hordes or mechanised armies (if you get lucky)

Ordnance doesn't give +1 on the damage chart it rolls 2d6 for armour pen and picks the highest

Ah right-o about Ordnance. That's still not bad at all.

My sudden interest comes from the idea of parking it in a corner, somewhat off on its lonesome while the Leman Russes roll down the other side of the board. It's a Distraction Carnifex that packs one helluva bonus punch should it actually ever get to fire

Also, with Coteaz in the Castells of the Imperium, it's OBSEC. Sit in a corner capping an Objective....fires a nuke that wastes 1/4 the enemy army...then goes OBSEC Tank Shocking nuke.gif woot.gif teehee.gif biggrin.png .

Also, with Coteaz in the Castells of the Imperium, it's OBSEC. Sit in a corner capping an Objective....fires a nuke that wastes 1/4 the enemy army...then goes OBSEC Tank Shocking nuke.gif woot.gif teehee.gif biggrin.png .

Thats usually what I do once its finished firing ;)

Deathstrikes are a fun unit - which pretty much covers it! If they hit true they can do a lot of damage, but there is a lot working against that. As mentioned hiding it away to give it the best chance is best, as not only does this give it better odds at shooting but also makes it an even better lure. Your opponent will fear what it could do and try and stop it, so you know exactly what your opponent is planning and can plan his welcome accordingly ;)

So while you likely won't see many tournament lists fielding one for normal games it's fine. It'll mostly win big, or do nothing :lol: I really should get the model one day...

Doesn't Coteaz's ability specify non-vehicle units? While he's great in the castellans formation I don't think he's giving obsec to your deathstrikes.

Good catch. Coteaz's dataslate does specify "non-vehicle units." 

Brought it in The Castellan for.action with my sisters.

It is terrifying against any infantry heavy army, and any army that relies on cover saves or doesn't have an abundance of invulns. But it can also miss easily...

Still, at the very least it will instill fear into your opponent.

I've actually lost of my deathstrike. 

Like, legitimately don't know what I did with it or where it is. 

Clearly buying the camo netting for it really paid off. 

I lol'd like a maniac. Just before reading this, I thought to myself, "I bet camo netting is super worth it on this."

Archived