Legion Purity of Purpose

Kais Klip

How would we scale each legion on its "Purity of Purpose"? Would each have different definitions? I'm trying to ascertain how relevant it is to the Emperors children, and specifically what legion embodies the concept of "know your place" and through what mindset. Does Ferrus take the crown: "make war again and again... all else is sophistry and pretty lies." Or is Angron closer to this nirvana of sorts.

I'm trying to figure out what legions could be said to be conflicted, in the sense of purpose, but also making war. Pragmatic Perturabo could be said to have the latter covered (or does he, with his stubbornness), but would it be unfair to dismiss Fulgrim and Alpharius as simply trying to complicate things too much, like Lorgar?

Or is a good character always conflicted; would it be boring to read about a Buddhist space marine who's reached space Nirvana? What I'm trying to figure out here, is if there was one legion that embraced the mindset of "What am I trying to do here? X. This is the most straight forward way of achieving X.". It probably involves moons, but with so many legions throwing/exploding them about nowadays, things have become complicated.

Dark Angels seem to be of the mindset of stick to the mission and accomplish it by any means possible. There is no dishonor stepping down to let another more specialized warrior step in, however there is dishonor in not stepping up to the challenge or combat. Nirvana is completing the mission, completing the battle, completing the war.

Couldn't it be said that their honour taints their purpose though? Or is there no honour when it comes to xenos, unless you're Emperor's Children?

Similarly, would you see the distraction of Fallen corrupted that purity of purpose later on? Similarly like the Iron Hands started to succumb to their flesh hate (if that became relevant in their persecution of... war as much as existence.

Lol xenos deserve no honor, only death. Can't give human rights to non humans and all that. I'd wait until Angelus comes out for a better viewpoint on that.

I'd say the Fallen corrupt their purpose, but perhaps their unfinished business of saving the Emperor. They saved the Imperium but failed to save the Emperor in time. That alone would leave a stain of regret and self hate for a legion that was once the personal army of said man.

I think no Nirvana can be achieved by a warrior in an everlasting, eternal conflict. With Nirvana may come apathy or nihilism...or a need to preach lol. When I see any of the legion astartes on either side question their purpose, I see no perfection. Perhaps Ferrus was right, there is only war to be had.

Purity of purpose? To what the Emperor intended for the Legions? To the Legion's own set of values? The betterment of humanity? 

Also, are you thinking about pre-Heresy, during the Heresy, or post-Heresy?

Purity of purpose? To what the Emperor intended for the Legions? To the Legion's own set of values? The betterment of humanity? 

Also, are you thinking about pre-Heresy, during the Heresy, or post-Heresy?

All of the above :) I think it's natural that some got theirs, some lost theirs and some changed theirs during the arc of a few thousand years.

As for the definition, I barely have it pinned down. Let's call it... enlightenment towards

1) what gets them up in the morning (what is it and does it roll with the Emperor)

and

2) getting :cuss done

For example, I think Ferrus was definitely one of the more focused ones; his purpose was war for the emperor, through a solid approach of strategy. His legion, however, was much less "pure" in mindset, being worried about their fleshy parts. Both had pride and stubbornness, though not as bad as the VIIth or IVth.

The World Eaters formed the opposite; Angron was conflicted, while the world eaters themselves were not. I think that was the gift of the nails, and the eventual boon of each god to the chosen five. World Eaters are probably the happiest of them all.

Yeah, I agree on Ferrus. There definitely seemed like one of the most focussed, no nonsense Primarchs. He had his way of doing things and would not be dissuaded. I'm not so sure about his relationship with his Legion. There seemed to be a bit of friction within certain elements of the Legion and between the Legion and the Primarch.

We don't know too much about the Dark Angels, but I suspect that they might fit the parameters. Not because of any ideological factor, but because they were the first and their structure and traditions have been firmly established for longer than any other Legion. Of course things would have changed once they were reunited with the Lion and after the influx of Calabanite recruits.

The Emperor's Children are described in Betrayal and Fulgrim (I think) as being the closest example of what the Emperor intended for the Legions. 

From Betrayal:

"...even in the first years... they were held up as an archetype to be lauded and by whom others were judged."

"The nature of the IIIrd Legion's psychology meant that they would carry the precise meaning and intent of any order without deviation and with their last breath if needed. In this role the IIIrd Legion took on the mantle of the Emperor's will - no other Legion was so honoured. Others bore his words, but at this time the IIIrd were his voice."

Of course I'm bias, and the Emperor's Children always had their flaws, but prior to the Laern compliance I believe they were one of, if not the most, focussed and dedicated Legions.

Archived