Bugstompin hints & tips?

P3AKHOUR

This weekend I’ll be playing a friend in my biggest game yet, 2500 points vs tyranids. At this size I don’t have much choice in what I bring (basically most of my models).

I’m looking for advice on general mechanized guard vs nids tips and tactics, mostly because I’ve only faced him at 1000 points before, so hes bringing a lot of terrifying new things that I don’t even know what theyre called.

Recon Sitrep:

There will be lots of T6/6W synapse creatures, and he’s got enough points to get something called toxin sacs and adrenal glands for a lot of his little things. He’s also bringing a “living artillery battery” formation, which I guess means good shooting, and 3 of these big floating psychic looking things (they have big heads), Venomthropes maybe?

Without going into too much detail, I’m going heavy on Russes (7 all up in an Emperors Fist formation and Cadian Battle Group tank commander), 3 squads of vets (2 mechanized) a CCS behind an Aegis Defence Line with quad gun, 3 Drop sentinels with multimeltas to try and harass his backline and generally be a bit fun and risky, a Manticore, Wyvern and Vendetta.

My initial “plan”:

The biggest thing I’ve learnt is to focus fire on MCs’ because 6 wounds at T6 with often very high armour saves takes a lot of work from me, even when I bring plenty of big guns.

By taking 7 Russes I’m aiming for target saturation, I know he’ll be gunning for my Pask Punisher warlord so I’m thinking safety in numbers, I’m also backing him up with a couple of techpriests for the first time ever. The other thing I was thinking is trying to drop as many pie plates as possible. Hence why I’m bringing a MoO, Manticore, Demolisher and 2 Eradicators.

Things I need help with:

Playing Russes aggressively. I always find myself rolling forward confidently turn 1, then spending the rest of the game in a panic reversing my tanks towards my board edge as fast as I can. I’d love to do a glorious armoured spearhead charge, but it just feels like suicide. This game I’m aiming more for fun and fluff than winning, so I might actually try that, but any tactics would be appreciated.

Bear in mind I don’t have any blobs so bubble wrapping isn’t really an option.

Please hit me with your thoughts on the Aegis too, as its another thing I’m debuting this game.

Thanks in advance, gang.

With big heads do you mean Zoanthropes? They're the psychic ones, used to be able to shoot tanks I'm not sure if that's still the case. Bearing in mind it has been done time since I fought 'nids, the general plan is as you say. It's about handling the gribblies so you can take down the big ones. Your infantry should be able to do that, between Chimera guns and the troops - and flamers - they can kill and hold off the hordes for you. Supported with some heavier anti-personnel capabilities they should be able to tackle that problem - Eradicators to evaporate them at range would be good, along with the ever useful Wyverns but Hellhounds will be good to zip in as an interceptor where they may be pushing through.

Otherwise it's about mustering as much high S low AP as you can. Anything to increase the volume of results - more shots and of course buffs to said shots - is needed. Ideally you'd never advance as that takes vital space away, just reposition for better angles.

Things I need help with:

Playing Russes aggressively. I always find myself rolling forward confidently turn 1, then spending the rest of the game in a panic reversing my tanks towards my board edge as fast as I can. I’d love to do a glorious armoured spearhead charge, but it just feels like suicide. This game I’m aiming more for fun and fluff than winning, so I might actually try that, but any tactics would be appreciated.

Unfortunately in my experience, that's how this edition is for tanks. They're super squishy in CC. You could take the relic that will let you give tank orders. So you can do the flat out move in a pinch?

Other than that with bugs artillery and pie plates. Especially ignore cover. He'll probably have what ever the unit is that gives shrouded take them out quickly if you can.

Id consider emperors wrath formation too so you can deal ignores cover from the artillery ....

As long as he's not bring flyrants should be a fun game. Maybe make a custom mission. The SN Battle report guys did a custom guard vs nid one. Maybe you could borrow theirs?

We expect a full batrep with pics!

Hour, I encourage you to be aggressive with your vet squads.  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of chiplasma vets vrooming up, jumping out, and double-tapping  plasma-img a tyrant, carnifex, trygon, etc.  It's especially good if they're receiving a "Bring it down!" order.  Yeah, they often die but they usually drop or seriously wound an MC.

Everyone has pretty much covered everything else.  A Russ mech list lacks the durability and numbers to advance onto objectives. Whereas a chimera heavy mech list can run tons of cheap AV12 units forward or hybrid or foot lists can just flood conscript and/or infantry platoon blobs forward to midfield and then tarpit while your other units vroom onto objectives.  All that a Russ heavy mech list can do is hug your back line and hope for some really good rolls.

Have fun!  I always enjoy my games vs bugs.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I've done some extra recon and found out he's running 2 zoanthropes (with the psychic lance attack) and a venomthrope (with the shrouded cloud), as well as a trygon (the deep striking electric snake monster), tervigon and possibly a death leaper, which sounds not fun.  We've rolled off for deployment already, and he's going first, which means I'll need to be very careful and defensive about my deployment so he doesn't get up in my face straight away (spoiler - I'm terrible at deployment). 

Oh he's also bringing a flyrant with a lance weapon and 2 twin linked devourers.  I've faced that before and I hate it, hopefully my quad gun and vendetta can put some hurt on it.  Is it true that FMC's can fire in a 360 degree arc once they've moved?

Tallarn, that's good advice re: vets,   I have a plasma vet squad and a melta/shotgun vet squad both in chimeras.  I'll do my best to be aggressive with those.

I'll make sure I put up a batrep.  It's gonna be bloody, but the Emperor has provided me with fire and steel and hatred in abundance.

Unfortunately, yes. FMCs are just like MCs and other non vehicle models. In that LOS can be drawn from anywhere on the model.

If its just one you should be ok. It will hurt but the Vendetta will keep it honest. Hell I've had a 30 man blob squad take on out of the skies before. Admittedly they had FRFSRF + Prescience, but it did the job! ;)

Yep, it's a 30 degree arc. Flyrants (of carnifexes) with those 12 shot twon linked guns always do more damage to me than anything else in a Nid list. Your Vendetta and quad gun will be excellent tools.

I once had a really good turn 2 of shooting and dropped 2 flyrants with vendetta, quad gun, and 2 snap firing blobs. But usually I fail to kill flyrants and they shred all my vehicles with AV10 side armor.

If you did wish to deviate from your mech theme, I've found that a platoon blob with lascannons and the "Fire on my target!" order is great at taking out those pesky venomthropes.

Eradictor Nova Cannons (S6/AP4/large blast/ignores cover/ NON-ordinance) +3 HBs for everything else. One big blast and 9 HB shots does a lot to think swarms and take wounds off of the bigger stuff.

Massed Conscripts (swarm of humans) with priests to hold the line between the monsters and your tanks.

I was thinking about this the other day. I think vs Tyranids is one matchup that it's better & more efficient to spam Missile Launcher Heavy Weapon Squads instead of Lascannons and Autocannons (Assuming you are bringing Heavy Weapon Squads). Why?

Firstly there is only 1 unit in the Tyranid Codex that a Lascannon is better than a Missile Launcher at killing, and that's the Tyrannofex as it's the only 2+ save in the codex and all the monsterous creatures are toughness 6 which S8 Missile Launchers already wound on 2s against.

Secondly, there are a large number of T4 multi wound units in the codex which Missile Launcher spam is great for instant deathing... Tyranid Warriors (synapse), Biovores, Lictors, Zoanthropes (synapse), Reavers, Venomthropes... All of these are T4 with multi wounds and Missile launchers ignore their Armour except for the Zoanthropes who have invulnerable save. Instant deathing their synapse creatures is pretty mean.

You can use the Missile Launchers for frag to clear away horse units as well. And I feel that the Missile Launcher is better vs monstrous creatures than the Autocannon too. Compared to other armies where I would prefer to spam autocannons vs light Armour. Just something to think about ^.

Archived