Spray primer clogged nozzle

Hi guys,

I've got a nearly full can of Army Painter spray primer, and for some reason the plastic nozzle has gotten gunked up with primer. Needless to say, the primer isn't coming out all of the sudden. Is there something that I can soak the nozzle in to clean it out? I'm looking for a way to clean the nozzle without damaging it.

Thanks,

Orangebob

Warm water to break down the paint and maybe a little brush to scrub the excess off?

For maintaining a cleaner nozzle, I know with krylon cans, after I'd used them I would hold them upside down and spray until it contains no paint - this is how I would clean the nozzle after each use.  No idea if that'd work with your cans too.

You can also just buy a handful of replacement nozzles online. Just twist the cap off and squeeze a new one on (carefully!).

Things to be aware of:

1) There are male and female nozzles, so you make sure you find out what you have before you but some replacement nozzles.

2) There are different spray types, so have a think about what you need. I'd suggest you want a medium-fine spray.

3) Army Painter sprays are notorious for nozzles clogging, and for having relatively little solvent compared to automotive primers. Therefore, whilst turning the cans upside down and clearing the nozzle with a few quick squirts is generally good practice, you will still waste a lot of the paint one way or another. In fact, I think they are designed to be used over just a couple of sessions (for coating a whole army for example, as their name suggests) rather then lots of quick uses over a period of time.

To further help you with (1) and (2) , you may find this link helpful. :)

Archived