Roboute Guilliman: the grim avatar of the Imperium

Evening, ladies and gents. So, with the coming of 8th edition and the release of Gathering Storm 3, I decided to have my take at messing around with the new Roboute Guilliman model. Personally, in terms of its sculpt, Guilliman is a beautiful model but his posing was horrific and the aesthetic style, while close, just wasn't 40k enough for me. Needs more skulls and purity seals. I want to see more of the Grimdark bleakness that I love so much about this setting...

So, this will essentially be a little mini-log to cover that project and take advice as well as input on how to really bring the Grimdark macabre design of Warhammer 40,000 to Roboute Guilliman. Let's start with a couple notes of mine. 

Influence of the Ecclesiarchy: Guilliman is not one who drank the proverbial kool-aid. He has no belief in the Emperor as a God and scorns the very notion by its nature. However, the Imperial Creed has become the very foundation of the Imperium as a whole and remains a focal pillar in keeping humanity alive in this murderous galaxy. Rather than rebelling, he accepts this fate, something we see a bit of in Gathering Storm 3, but I want to go further with that. Guilliman is, far as we know for now, the last living Primarch loyal to his father. And so, as the Blade of Unity he takes up the burden of embodying the Imperium and everything that holds it up, even if he doesn't agree with it. The fact that he's willingly lying to everyone though he knows the truth, and in essence lying to himself is a really fascinating aspect to me and I hope GW explores that more. So, to become the embodiment of the Imperium, I want him to look like he belongs in a Gothic Cathedral. I want skulls and purity seals and other imagery that annunciates that Grimdark vibe.

Dead Man Walking: Guilliman is basically already dead. Far as we know his suit, the Armour of Faith,  is the only thing keeping him alive. His armour and the enormous array on his backpack is as much a matter of life support as it is protection. I want to emphasize that aspect. I want to sort of enhance the crazy medical equipment strapped to his back and wired up to him. I want it to feel as though just looking at him would prove Guilliman is likely in constant pain where even the most simple movement is agony. 

So, as I said, I am happy to hear what you folks have to think and I'm always eager to get your input... But it's late and I'm exhausted so I'll leave you with some pics of what I have so far. 

http://i.imgur.com/RiuFk2U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TSD6WDR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kF0tWan.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pila78G.jpg

Hope you enjoy..

The repose of the model is looking good, makes him look like he's on the attack. I like the whole concept of him being in constant pain and I also want see how gw play his discontent with the imperium as it currently stands

Excellent so far, still trying to figure out my own Guilliman repose for a project and this certainly gives a few ideas.

As for thoughts to improve the model - the fingers on the Hand of Dominion are a big one in my opinion. I look at them and then compare them to a powerfist and they seem.. too thin. Maybe a repose so they aren't as splayed, either?

I wonder if trying to transfer over a gorget from the Black Templar MK VIII torso would be viable.. Will have to look into that. I'll also see what I can do about the fingers on the gauntlet. 

As for Prime, I was never a big Transformers kid growin up... :P

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, March 25, 2017 - Off Topic
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, March 25, 2017 - Off Topic
I chose the name "Maximarines" because the majority of X Legion's members will be biological life forms, i.e., Space Marines. The name "Autobot" should be reserved for the "transforming Dreadnoughts" who serve as the Legion's senior officers.

He needs a gorget, like those on Mark VIII power armor, to protect his throat.

Given how he was taken down by Fulgrim, you'd think he would insist on this.

A little bit of green stuff in a sharp upward triangle in front of his face would do nicely. Not necessarily to stop a blade, but to direct it upward into his helmet (which I assume is better armored than his throat).

He needs a gorget, like those on Mark VIII power armor, to protect his throat.

Given how he was taken down by Fulgrim, you'd think he would insist on this.

A little bit of green stuff in a sharp upward triangle in front of his face would do nicely. Not necessarily to stop a blade, but to direct it upward into his helmet (which I assume is better armored than his throat).

That's a good point...

You think a Custodes gorget would work? 

Archived