8th Edition & The HH

Charlo

The square bases in the video was a super troll.

I'm not sure why that should be associated with the other bits of possible, I say possible because we don't have a new edition rule book in our hands just yet, rules changes. 

For myself, I like the idea that I've read something and am now interested. Jut a few days ago I was ready to just get rid of every 40K/30K miniature I own and everything that goes with it. I was very surprised that the next morning I was interested and a little excited.

I've put my energy into AoS. It's something new to learn and that freshness has got me looking forward to playing. I want that from the next edition.

I really enjoy/have enjoyed playing 30K but less for playing the game and more for spending a day hanging out and having a good time.

(Insert some grumpy stuff about 7th edition here) So far it's barely better than 5th edition, which I did not really care for.

Regarding the Rumored changes I like what I've read. Fixed movement would be a good reason not to walk. Battleshock I'm sure won't be too bad as I'm guessing most Legionaries will have 8 or above and some means of simply avoiding a Battleshock test. 

Charging unit going first sounds good. I can fully see my Dark Angels running into a unit of Ravenguard Dark Furies and not all being killed before they get to attack. ( Of course after I fail to hit/wound/whatever and wlk makes basically every save...My guys are toast...  Dice...) 

Save Modifiers. Sure why not. Again another reason to ride in a transport, Spend time planning how best not to have them all gunned down and how can they manage to do something to help me win. 

We still haven't heard about any terrain interaction for cover or saves.  

I guess the only thing I don't want to see make a comeback is 2nd edition Close Combat rules.

Horus Heresy is the premiere game and grosses the most profit. They are wise enough not to risk the golden cash cow. Playing the what-if scenario is a completely meaningless endeavor devoid of any fruitful output.

Further, when Alan Bligh was asked about how 8th edition would effect 30k at this past weekender, his response was direct and crystal, clear. He said that 30k will always be an expansion of the core 40k rules, whatever those rules might look like. He said if 40k goes in the direction AoS, then 30k will use those same core rules. The 30k rules writers might choose to carry over some aspects of 7th in their expansion set, but by and large, 30k will make the transition to whatever core rules 8th introduces. His response was unambiguous.

Source please ?

Horus Heresy is the premiere game and grosses the most profit. They are wise enough not to risk the golden cash cow. Playing the what-if scenario is a completely meaningless endeavor devoid of any fruitful output.

Further, when Alan Bligh was asked about how 8th edition would effect 30k at this past weekender, his response was direct and crystal, clear. He said that 30k will always be an expansion of the core 40k rules, whatever those rules might look like. He said if 40k goes in the direction AoS, then 30k will use those same core rules. The 30k rules writers might choose to carry over some aspects of 7th in their expansion set, but by and large, 30k will make the transition to whatever core rules 8th introduces. His response was unambiguous.

Source please ?

There is no official source for that, just a few of the people who were at the weekend who had a chance to talk with Alan and tony. they are all burried in the Weekender Thread, but I think the source for this is Garro either on his facebook page or on Heresy30k.

I'm pretty curious about where all this is going to leave that poor Fires of Cyraxus book. Has that even been finished or sent to printers? It would be really unfortunate for that to come out right before an edition change. Or, if it's been delayed to be updated to a new edition, then the codices its based on will become obsolete relatively soon. I wonder if they'll shelve it until things have settled down or just release it?

What they do with that book may be a good indicator for the future of the Heresy, too. It could show that there's co-operation between FW and GW main, or that there still isn't enough.

Unless, the reason we haven't gotten an FAQ in quite some time is because its a doozy and one that deals with porting stuff over to 8th edition.

I mean, for all we know, 8th is already done and has been sent off to the printers already and they're just waiting to build up a good stock before putting it up for sale.

And since the FW and GW teams work in literally the same building, FW would have a VERY good heads up on anything coming down the GW pipeline that may affect 30k, the rumored Plastic Thunderhawk in Inferno being a pretty good example.

It would make me feel better if they weren't blindsided by 7th lol. It took them a solid two years to address the changes with a faq

• 2 weeks later...

Source please ?

There is no official source for that, just a few of the people who were at the weekend who had a chance to talk with Alan and tony. they are all burried in the Weekender Thread, but I think the source for this is Garro either on his facebook page or on Heresy30k.

Well I hope the idea that 30k will follow base 8th rules is wrong because it's almost certain that BS is going to a straight to a fixed hit roll with modifiers. So that alone means the basic stat line is changed. We've also been shown that movement values are coming in which could remove a whole section of rules and specials covering movement. So even if it's just those two that change there are no 30k rules for units until the complete 7 books get a full update.

My source is very rarely far out in his information drops and he's now very concerned to say the least about 8th, there will be fallout, some people will flat out not like the end result but like WHFB to AoS eventually things will settle down. This is from somebody on the staff who previously believed it would just be a small evolution but as he has picked up more information is now expecting some nerd rage in stores once 8th arrives.

There is nerd rage every time a new edition hits. Every time. No one can claim that the hollowed out corpse shell of WHFB was better than AoS in the end. There are more players in the game that there ever were in the last 2 editions prior.

40k needs some changes, and if we have to rip out 50 pages from the rulebook to have smooth games, so be it.

I do love how many hundreds of people claim to have an inside source who knows all the goings on. GW must have to hire new staff daily to deal with the sackings.

There is nerd rage every time a new edition hits. Every time. No one can claim that the hollowed out corpse shell of WHFB was better than AoS in the end. There are more players in the game that there ever were in the last 2 editions prior.

40k needs some changes, and if we have to rip out 50 pages from the rulebook to have smooth games, so be it.

Imo its like comparing apples to oranges. I really enjoyed 7th/8th Fantasy as well as AoS, but they're two very different games. Fantasy went down because the extreme cost associated with playing the game in a competitive setting; with the exception of the giant unit incentives (including potency of magic), all it really needed was to give VPs for half units again and the rules were solid.

I'm fine with rules ripping, I'm just not looking forward to another year and a half before the changes get addressed by forgeworld like last time, especially if they're supposed to be more extreme than the 6th to 7th ones

Imo its like comparing apples to oranges. I really enjoyed 7th/8th Fantasy as well as AoS, but they're two very different games. Fantasy went down because the extreme cost associated with playing the game in a competitive setting; with the exception of the giant unit incentives (including potency of magic), all it really needed was to give VPs for half units again and the rules were solid.

I'm fine with rules ripping, I'm just not looking forward to another year and a half before the changes get addressed by forgeworld like last time, especially if they're supposed to be more extreme than the 6th to 7th ones

God I hope 8th edition is compatible with the existing books, I've spent a fortune on these IA books. This isn't the same as dropping a codex these books are damned expensive, if I have to buy yet another reprint of the red book I'm not going to bother and when my army is ready I'll have to hunt for 7th ed players I guess.

The black books we're never supposed to be considered Rulebooks... in fact the first 3 are alreayd invalid for the most part rules wise. The Redbooks are rulebooks, and priced appropriately for their purpose and context.

The black books we're never supposed to be considered Rulebooks... in fact the first 3 are alreayd invalid for the most part rules wise. The Redbooks are rulebooks, and priced appropriately for their purpose and context.

The Redbooks are army lists. Entirely new 8th Edition rules invalidate every single FW book until a comprehensive FAQ rulebook is released. It means you're stuck playing 7th until the issue is addressed. 

The Redbooks are the actual expansion rules. The Black Books while containing rules are primarily campaign books.

Also yes a new edition which changes core rules is likely going to invalidate the Redbooks. That isn't a very compelling reason to not make changes if the designers feel it will make the game better.

But also mostly I was pointing out that half or more of the black books were invalidated before 8th editon was even being spoken of freely on this forum. If you primarily use them as source of core rules for the expansion.

I'm honestly worried about Forgeworld.

They are so slow and ponderous with rules. I use loads of their units across both 30 and 40k, and I can easily imagine the rules not getting updated for far too long!

I'm honestly worried about Forgeworld.

They are so slow and ponderous with rules. I use loads of their units across both 30 and 40k, and I can easily imagine the rules not getting updated for far too long!

Perhaps yeah. Maybe this is why they've been slow with everything though, because they're currently in the process of some fat FAQs.... :P

But does it matter that they are slow? If they dont have the updated rules out for 8th in time, stay in 7th until they are. The heresy will be fine regardless.

This is pretty much it. 8th edition only effects people playing both 30k and 40k with their armies, 30k only can stay with 7th with no issues whatsoever while forge world finishes updating stuff. Hell, even if we get Angelus while still using 7th rules or have to use 7th into the next few years, that's not an issue. We all already have the book.

8th Edition 40k should be treated like a Windows 10 update. Not today, remind me later.

What it 8th edition is a much better game?

Doesn't really matter. It's an entirely different game if they change the fundamentals. 8th edition could mandate Swedish bikini models massage my shoulders while play the game, but that really doesn't do much to make the redbooks work. The Edition is the OS, the Heresy is an app. If the app doesn't work with the OS you keep using the older OS if you wanna play.

What it 8th edition is a much better game?

Doesn't really matter. It's an entirely different game if they change the fundamentals. 8th edition could mandate Swedish bikini models massage my shoulders while play the game, but that really doesn't do much to make the redbooks work. The Edition is the OS, the Heresy is an app. If the app doesn't work with the OS you keep using the older OS if you wanna play.
I second that and may add that I really hope the bikini idea comes true. ;)

Already shared that information with other nerds and they love it as well. :D

Archived