[IRON GAUNTLET] Index Astartes: Tormentors

This IA is a work in progress - currently at Major Update 1 (6/27/2017). After every major update, new/changed text will be highlighted in blue, while everything else will be the standard font color.

http://i.imgur.com/5ux5DMb.png?1

Defend the Righteous - Torment the Wicked

Chapter Name . . Tormentors

Parent . . . . . Red Spectres

Primogenitor . . Imperial Fists

Founding . . . . 25th

Descendants. . . None

As of 999.M41:

Homeworld . . . . Bellos Prime

Allegiance. . . . Loyalist

Chapter Master. . High Marshal Beatrio

Key Chapter Data

The Tormentors are a Chapter of Adeptus Astartes based in Castrix Sector, in the outer reaches of the Ultima Segmentum, close to the Ghoul Stars. Descended from the Imperial Fists and Red Spectres, the Tormentors defend their territories from deep space alien threats, and provide rapid regional responses as needed.

In the middle of M40, a cluster of sectors reentered realspace after several millennia of warp storms, and Imperial forces began to build a reclamation fleet. During the build up, the High Lords declared a new founding of Astartes Chapters, and a number of these new 26th-Founding chapters, including the Tormentors, were designated to join that effort. The Chapter was a fleet-based, crusading chapter, until the conclusion of the campaign several centuries later. At this point, the Chapter laid claim to one of their re-assimilated planets, and began bolstering the new territories.

The Tormentors are a very active organization, and at any time is operating in three areas at once, so the Chapter is divided into three Brotherhoods, each consisting of three Companies, which can easily deploy anywhere in the region with little notice with pre-assigned ships and assets. At any given time, one Brotherhood is on an active crusade, a second is either supporting that crusade or responding to other emergency calls for aid, and the third defends the home sector against warp anomalies and periodic xenos incursions from the Ghoul Stars. The company is divided into three Sections, instead of two Demi-Companies, to provide greater tactical flexibility for the commander.

The Tormentors are a serious and determined group, valuing practicality over glory, and tend to scorn the pomp and circumstance that they perceive other, more established Chapters to be distracted by. The Battle Companies tend to coordinate intensively with Astra Militarum and other Imperial forces to determine key targets, then execute quick orbital strikes with infantry, land speeders, aircraft, and drop pod resupplies. The Chapter prides itself on completing missions violently and in quick succession, and tend to avoid the fanfare associated with larger operational victories, preferring instead to move onto the next objective or respond to a new request for aid. The Chapter will typically only deploy vehicles and armor to the surface when they expect to be mired in a protracted ground campaign, or other unusual circumstances. The Chapter has been compared to the Raptors Chapter by those observers lucky (or not) enough to have seen the two in combat.

Appearance

Selected examples of Tormentors uniform features and insignia:

http://i.imgur.com/E9PZwD3.png

Tormentors in the field (5th Battle Company)

http://i.imgur.com/xTBqPDK.jpg

details to come:

• Chapter Origin
  • Geneseed
  • Chapter Homeworld
  • Combat Doctrine
  • Battle Cry

details to come:

• Command Structure
  • Brotherhoods
  • Chapter Fleet
  • Auxiliaries
  • Grand Cohort of Castrix

details to come:

• Beliefs
  • Recruitment
  • Rituals
  • Rank System
  • Honors, Relics, Decorations, and Awards
  • Retirement?!

details to come:

• Activities as of 999.M41
  • Roll of Honor
  • Castrixian Schism
  • Chapter Masters
  • Chapter Heroes
  • Chapter Banners / Standards

details to come:

• Grand Cohort of Castrix
  • Affiliated chapters and nemeses

details to come:

• Chapter Disposition
  • Primaris debate

Edited by coldfyre

• 1 month later...

News?

(EDIT: This post was in the context of the iron gauntlet, in the aim of helping a fellow Liberite remember about the challenge)

Edited by Lord Thørn

• 1 month later...

So here, I am, way too late - I was inspired by the Iron Gauntlet to update and re-issue my "final" IA for my Chapter, the Tormentors.  Then, I changed jobs, had some family stuff, and got buried in 8th edition discussions, and promptly forgot all about this.  I obviously won't be in the Gauntlet anymore, but I wanted to go ahead and get this done anyway, because I need to put down the ideas that have been floating around my head since 2006 when I first started writing my IA.  Instead of the long, meandering posts I did before, I want to make this one succinct, clear, and better organized so that it's easier to read through.

I'll still need a couple days to get everything down as I refine it - the red text means that those sections are empty, and when I make my next big updates, new text will be in blue to make it easier to follow along with the changes.  I'll have diagrams and all sorts of reference material up (I'll put it in spoilers to avoid overload), but I hope it'll be valuable to someone!