Tzen's Cypher the Fallen Angel WIP thread.

Tzen

More like Cyphoot amirite? biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Started Cypher last night.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cyfoot.jpg

I don't normally paint black in the way I am doing right now, but I am trying to follow the look of the model a little. So yeah, hopefully it wont all end in tears!

Updated the first post to include the guide I did on painting his armour. Would love any feedback.

looking good so far, really like the effect, i find painting diffrent styles, especally black can be very hard depending on the model, lack of edges to place highlights on and such.

but i love to see tou work mate, what timezone are you in?

I'm in England so GMT.

I normally add a.touch of blue to my black paint when doing black armour. Helps it look a little deeper especially when it comes to highlights and such. So playing about with highlights on pure black is interesting. I'm in work today so assuming there is a little time tonight I'm going to try and stream a little. The problem with streaming whilst painting is having to angle the model towards the camera and paint it decently.

Thanks Traitor! :D

I was hoping to do a stream tonight, sadly I had other things I had to do so it will likely be tomorrow now. I will try and stream whilst painting a part of his black armour. I'll then edit it in some media thing and post it to youtube. That's the plan anyway. I may just build a space marine up and do it on him, as I don't want to mess up Cypher trying to film a guide. :D

If it helps, the recipe is super simple.

Make sure you paint the black undercoated model with black. Leaving just the undercoat isn't enough. 

So it's Black > Dawnstone > Administratum Grey. Then you take the Dawn stone after edge highlighting the leg and randomly add scratches, really really small scratches all over the leg. Then, take the Administratum grey and then towards the edges of the scratch go over the line. Then, where the lines meet each other, or at the edges of the power armour, do a tiny dot of Ulthuan Grey. 

Again, this is just how I am doing this model in order to copy (ish) the official paint scheme. If I get time though I'd like to add some free hand to the cloak too! :D

I suck, I know. I haven't streamed anything. I am going to stream his left arm later today if I can. But at the moment I am constantly interrupted by real life, so it would mean the stream would have gaps of like 15 mins or so as I went AFK.
Sorry. sad.png
Anyhoo!
Given the association (or not?) of Clint Eastwood and Cypher, I had to try and give him some stubble, and a faint look of the man.
http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cypher1.jpg

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/cypher2.jpg
So far I am pretty happy with how this chap is coming along. I do plan on dirtying the robes up, but I will do them all at the same time.
Given the association (or not?) of Clint Eastwood and Cypher, I had to try and give him some stubble, and a faint look of the man.

I will learn how to paint black like that, even if it means I have to steal your actual, human arm to do it. Gol' dang, Dan, you just continue to impress.

Pretty sure he's connected, yeah - JJ mentioned that he'd based Cypher off of Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.

Lol, ta Lex, although, and I don't want to sound too prissy about this, I would love to keep my arm as is. At least for now. tongue.png

I have uploaded the video to youtube. Next time round I will do things differently. I think I need to set the focus so I can place the model much closet to the camera. What I felt was close, seems like it actually wasn't close enough.

That is a cracking video. It's good to see that there aren't any crazy techniques, just discipline and a steady hand that creates such fantastic work. Gives me that small glimmer of hope :P

I may have to settle for a boring base due to time restraints. I have a BAJILLION things I need to paint. I'd quite like to get Valdus done too so the set is complete, but it may have to wait.

That is a cracking video. It's good to see that there aren't any crazy techniques, just discipline and a steady hand that creates such fantastic work. Gives me that small glimmer of hope tongue.png

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate when people do guides and they basically shoot folks down before the video starts "Anyone can learn how to paint, but here is an obscure reference to a painting technique that, actually, you don't need." Most things in this hobby just need patience and a steady hand. The truth is practice is about 90% of the battle.

Archived