[HH] Dan Abnett's prose has that little something extra

Ascanius

@Never_born has just done a two part interview with Dan.  The first part is here

Going back to something nearer the original topic, what I've noticed from Dan's comic work is just how good his dialogue is.  From popping along to a couple of signings to get some BL stuff signed I'm now hooked on Aquaman and Titans from the DC Rebirth series.

@Never_born has just done a two part interview with Dan. The first part is here

Going back to something nearer the original topic, what I've noticed from Dan's comic work is just how good his dialogue is. From popping along to a couple of signings to get some BL stuff signed I'm now hooked on Aquaman and Titans from the DC Rebirth series.

Splendid. Part 2 will follow soon? More interested in his upcoming stuff. His past I can now tell you even after a sleep. It was repeated a 1000-likewise intervies ago - nothing changed on how he start writing and what he wrote.

Also - yes, his comics dialogs are one of the best in the industry. But for us it's always better then he writes a BL novel yes.gif

Strange nobody mentioned "Ultramarines" movie yet...

And why we should remember that unmitigated disaster? To be presize: Abnett has done his script the right way, if the animation would have been 'better', it wouldn't have been so bad to watch.

Animation was...bad but actually it was a script that totally sucked. Almost every 5 minutes when they weren't just WALKING AND WALKING was filled with nonsesnse. I love Abnett's 'humans' (Guard and inquisiton) but when he writes astartes things are very awkward (know no fear and prospero are exceptions, imperium secundus and legion are examples).

Animation was...bad but actually it was a script that totally sucked. Almost every 5 minutes when they weren't just WALKING AND WALKING was filled with nonsesnse. I love Abnett's 'humans' (Guard and inquisiton) but when he writes astartes things are very awkward (know no fear and prospero are exceptions, imperium secundus and legion are examples).

that nonsense of walking was because the budget was for a littlefinger and not a full human being.

I quite enjoyed Ultramarines but think it could have been a short film. Yep lots of walking. Also the whole Scout company issue thing! Budget was indeed dictating the story but sure there could have been a way around that with less, walking. I know things have moved on but the animation in the fan made Lord Inquisitor prologue thingy was far superior.

I quite enjoyed Ultramarines but think it could have been a short film. Yep lots of walking. Also the whole Scout company issue thing! Budget was indeed dictating the story but sure there could have been a way around that with less, walking. I know things have moved on but the animation in the fan made Lord Inquisitor prologue thingy was far superior.

Yes it was - but do you know how much time Erasmus spent doing that in his free time?

After all it's obvious why Dan doesn't like to remember that 'experience', but if it was a 30 minutes movie done let's say in HBO I think it would have been much better ;)

That second part of the interview was amazing, so much so I've run over by 15 mins on my lunch break, now 17 mins having to post this lol!

What's that Dan, more Heresy (check) more Gaunt's (check) more Inquisition (check) and possibly post Gathering Storm 40k Guilliman from him or McNeill? Oh happy days, colour me excited!!

Glad you guys have enjoyed the interview - Dan's such a nice guy, it was an absolute pleasure. I hope the bit about post-Gathering Storm Guilliman came across as it was intended, i.e. not to be taken as written that he or Graham are actually going to do it! That would be awesome...but I wouldn't hold your breath smile.png

Glad you guys have enjoyed the interview - Dan's such a nice guy, it was an absolute pleasure. I hope the bit about post-Gathering Storm Guilliman came across as it was intended, i.e. not to be taken as written that he or Graham are actually going to do it! That would be awesome...but I wouldn't hold your breath smile.png

Maybe he will do a surprise and will write a Mortarion novel post Gathering Storm ;)

I hope the bit about post-Gathering Storm Guilliman came across as it was intended, i.e. not to be taken as written that he or Graham are actually going to do it! That would be awesome...but I wouldn't hold your breath smile.png

Sorry dude, no take backs, it's happening, you said so! teehee.gif

I'm now patiently clicking refresh on the BL Coming Soon section waiting for Dan's 100% confirmed immortalisation of 40k Guilliman... yeah, i think i might be waiting a while lol happy.png

I hope the bit about post-Gathering Storm Guilliman came across as it was intended, i.e. not to be taken as written that he or Graham are actually going to do it! That would be awesome...but I wouldn't hold your breath smile.png

Sorry dude, no take backs, it's happening, you said so! teehee.gif

I'm now patiently clicking refresh on the BL Coming Soon section waiting for Dan's 100% confirmed immortalisation of 40k Guilliman... yeah, i think i might be waiting a while lol happy.png

FAKE NEWS!

Great interview with Dan Abnett never born, thanks.

Very exciting news to hear what we can expect from Dan and BL over the next couple of years. My take out was:

Warmaster

HH novel

Anarch

Penitent (Yippee)

Great to hear Dan's commitment to finishing the Bequin books and his renewed excitement for both GG and HH.

Also interesting to hear his take on GW/BL and how that tallies with what Laurie Goulding said.

I would say we are entering into a second golden age for BL.

Yes it was - but do you know how much time Erasmus spent doing that in his free time?

After all it's obvious why Dan doesn't like to remember that 'experience', but if it was a 30 minutes movie done let's say in HBO I think it would have been much better ;)

Always makes me smile to hear the name Erasmus. He could be a character from 40k! Yep the guy has spent years on it. A real labour of love. He should be lauded (no pun intended) for what he has achieved. Actually going to watch it again right now!

After all it's obvious why Dan doesn't like to remember that 'experience', but if it was a 30 minutes movie done let's say in HBO I think it would have been much better msn-wink.gif

Always makes me smile to hear the name Erasmus. He could be a character from 40k! Yep the guy has spent years on it. A real labour of love. He should be lauded (no pun intended) for what he has achieved. Actually going to watch it again right now!

I'm truly happy for him that he released the prologue at last and the number of views he got ;) (Ultramarines could only dream about these numbers :) )

Plus I'm partly happy for the 'Lord Inquisitor' cause I worked for a load/performance run on it briefly ;) (In that long forgotten time then A D-B was planning to write a script for it).

Very exciting news to hear what we can expect from Dan and BL over the next couple of years. My take out was:

Warmaster

HH novel

Anarch

Penitent (Yippee)

Great to hear Dan's commitment to finishing the Bequin books and his renewed excitement for both GG and HH.

Also interesting to hear his take on GW/BL and how that tallies with what Laurie Goulding said.

Indeed - but:

As we know Dan after a long time - that point 'Anarch would be released quicker' if a 50/50. Sure it wouldn't be a gap for 5-6 years. But do you truly believe he started writing it already for the 2018 release? teehee.gif Naive dreams.

And as he doing 'Penitent' (in his dreams so far) - that means that HH novel for 2018, Anarch for 2019 and Penitent - 2020 (as I told you a very long time ago).

As for the 'I would say we are entering into a second golden age for BL.' - sureee.... Almost empty for good titles february-april 2017 gives you exactly that impression msn-wink.gif

I'm truly happy for him that he released the prologue at last and the number of views he got ;) (Ultramarines could only dream about these numbers :) )

Plus I'm partly happy for the 'Lord Inquisitor' cause I worked for a load/performance run on it briefly ;) (In that long forgotten time then A D-B was planning to write a script for it).

Warmaster

HH novel

Anarch

Penitent (Yippee)

Indeed - but:

As we know Dan after a long time -  that point 'Anarch would be released quicker' if a 50/50. Sure it wouldn't be a gap for 5-6 years. But do you truly believe he started writing it  already for the 2018 release? :teehee:  Naive dreams.

And as he doing 'Penitent' (in his dreams so far) - that means that HH novel for 2018, Anarch for 2019 and Penitent - 2020 (as I told you a very long time ago).

As for the 'I would say we are entering into a second golden age for BL.' - sureee.... Almost empty for good titles february-april 2017 gives you exactly that impression ;)

I am more optimistic than you HeritorA and I predict the following:

2017 - Warmaster

2018 - HH novel

2018 - Anarch

2019 - Penitent

The important thing from that interview is that Dan admits he lost interest in writing for BL for a while due to a change in business practices. Now that things have changed for the better he has regained his enthusiasm which is great news.

And yes I would say the prospects for a golden period are looking good: Carrion Throne and Emperor's Legion by Wraight, Resurrection by French, Warmaster by Abnett, Urdesh by Farrer. Looks pretty good to me!

For some reason I cannot edit... So also add to that list Black Legion by ADB!

KInd of what A D-B has to do with Abnett releases?

'2018 - HH novel

2018 - Anarch

2019 - Penitent'

naive you ;) Santa is not real teehee.gif

For some reason I cannot edit... So also add to that list Black Legion by ADB!

KInd of what A D-B has to do with Abnett releases?

'2018 - HH novel

2018 - Anarch

2019 - Penitent'

naive you ;) Santa is not real :teehee:

Oh man what a spoiler...Santa, not real! Rally! Damn it thanks for that HeritorA!

BTW - HeritorA you were the guy claiming we would never see Warmaster. So yeah, I remain optimistic :-)

Oh man what a spoiler...Santa, not real! Rally! Damn it thanks for that HeritorA!

BTW - HeritorA you were the guy claiming we would never see Warmaster. So yeah, I remain optimistic :-)

I think you forgot to add "yah boo sucks"

Seriously though, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Dan has said that he didn't like working for BL/GW for a while and if that has changed, which he has said it has, then that could only be a good thing.  As in the @Never_born interview, you're more likely to write for somebody if you like writing for them.

Archived