Emperor's Children question.

ServoBadger

A couple of my friends are starting 30k with the Ultramarines and the Salamanders so I'm thinking about a traitor legion rather than expanding my Blood Angels to 30k. Fabulous Fulgrim and his Emperor's Children appeal to me.

However based on what I've read so far the 30k Emperor's Children seem to have similar strengths to the 40k Blood Angels.

Is this actually the case? I sort of feel that if I'm going to start another marine army it shouldn't play too close to the one I already have.

They honestly are all about perfection. That could mean perfection of siege warfare, Orbital assaults or Armoured columns, the Legions are so large that billing each as a stereotype is unrealistic and doesn't give credit to the wider setting.

For example, I have a Terminator heavy EC army coming along...before that I did an Armoured Spearhead SoH army. I think any style can fit any Legion.

There are a handful of similarities - they both like being in melee, and ruleswise both get an initiative bonus when they charge (albeit the BA one comes from a Rite of War). The Emperor's Children have a lot more options than this though, including some xenos/chaotic wargear (sonic shriekers)and the incredibly powerful 30k era Noise Marines (Kakophoni). They are not simply Blood Angels in a different scheme. To generalise, BA in 30k are about brutal melee power and Emperor's Children are about the perfect combat, where you aim to break your opponent and run them down in a single flawless round

With the uncertainty surrounding 8th edition, I'd just buy things that you like the look of, because the rules could be changing significantly in 30k in the near future. I'd add some Rhinos for your Tacticals/Veterans and something cool to get the ball rolling, like a Palatine Blade unit.

Jetbikes, Speeders, Jump Pack units, Palatine Blades, Kakophoni, Eidolon, Fulgrim himself - all are a cool idea with great models.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the Palatine Blade models and I have a Sicaran that was going to be red, but may well end up purple.

I'll do some digging through old threads to get some ideas for the Calth box, notwithstanding that 8th may change everything.

Archived