Helsreach Video

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We watch the inquisition as much as they watch us...

Their flagrant tolerance for witches amongst their ranks is deplorable!

Their consorting with Xenos and weilding Xenos technology is heresy!

Their petty politicking is unforgivable!

Their frequent use of demonic entities bound within human hosts, tainting the purity of the Emperor's citizens, is an abomination!

... I'm on page 320 of "Armageddon" (the volume combining 'helsreach' and 'blood and fire')

Guardsman is a great short. To the point, doesn't lag, hits all the right notes, big nods to proper cosplayers. However my one beef is that the 'Nids just seem a bit... drunk, until they start leaping at the marine. 

Hopefully directors like Richard will get asked by GW to produce officially sanctioned works, if the rumors are true they're shopping around live-action material for a web-series. 

I have a bit of a problem with the marine. I don't think there was anything that could really be done, but he seemed a bit, lacking in momentum. Marines should be quick and strong, but they should also feel chunky and weighty, which the marine in guardsmen wasn't so much.

I was thinking that myself. I was wondering how easy it might be to get up into a gallop in one of those Marine costumes to enter a bit more dynamically than stomping in. I think some sound design could have done well there, like in the prologue of Helsreach where Grimaldus is walking and you hear the weight and pistons of his armor clearly.

The lasgun sounds, on the other hand, perfect!

I have one more minor critique, the writing. Sometimes it felt like they were just spouting out 40k-isms to make sure we hadn't forgotten it was a 40k short. It's not a show stopper for me, but it edged into me noticing towards the end.

All-in-all I would love to see more, the costumes were fantastic, if a little too clean. I would love a chance to be in one of these shorts. I follow the cosplay group the provided the costumes and would love a set of the Cadian armor, especially if there is a Kasrkin version.

• 4 weeks later...

They did a live motion cap production update the other day...

As for getting into a run in a SM cosplay armour... Good luck! As a point of reference. A buddy of mine isolated as one of the Prawn (filthy Xenos) from District 9. He had stilts built into the costume to achieve the correct height. Obviously a similar method has to be used with the marines. This means the persons foot is actually probably half way up the shin guard. Because a 6foot man has to have his feet 1 foot off the ground to reach a space Marine's 7 foot height.

So running in stilts or platforms isn't impossible... But you add many many pounds of costume, and reduce your field of vision greatly. And worst of all lose any and all articulation of the costume's feet.

To show marines running in any way you'd have to do some trickery... Honestly. Film from the waist up and leave off the costume below the knees. Run on platforms next to shorter characters and such... Also, helmetless marines, gotta let the actors see what they are doing...

I wasn't really a fan of the live action, it felt cheap and more of a cosplay showcase.

Helsreach has been amazing, the art direction has been superb but it didn't sound like we'd be getting anything new anytime soon from watching the live stream which is understandable due to the time it must take to finish but still a massive shame if it ends here.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently watched the first hour cut.

It's so damn good to see the evolution of the art style combined with colors, etc.

Can't wait for the next episode!

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS RICHARD!!!!!

For anyone who hasn't read the news yet: https://bit.ly/2PNn2Z2

Hopefully this won't kill production of further Helsreach episodes, but will steadily improve the already amazing quality of the series to it's conclusion. I honestly cannot imagine the amount of work it will take to recreate the last stand at the Temple of the Emperor Ascendant.

Archived