Miniature Tools for a Noob?

Qai

I'm getting ready to assemble and paint my first miniature. I'm also a complete noob when it comes to painting in general. The neckbeards at my local GW store are eager to help me out with the actual process of what to do and how. However, mind you they are also peddling GW-authentic accessories (snips, brushes, etc.). I'm OK with sticking to the GW paint, primer and such, but I'm kind of hesitating on the cost of some of the tools from GW that I can quite literally walk one block down to Walmart and grab for a fraction of the cost. Can you guys give me some feedback as to what I can just get elsewhere without messing up my miniatures and use the savings from that to get more bits instead?

I would suggest getting a hobby knife, wire cutters, and a small set of hobby files. A quick search on the Walmart site says that all three can be found relatively cheaply, although I'd suggest buying some better quality tools as they will definitely be worthwhile in the long run. I'm not that familiar with paintbrushes myself as I just use the GW ones so hopefully someone else can give suggestions about those. If you want a more in depth write up about tools you should check out this thread by Subtle Discord. Also welcome to the hobby!

Oh that link is perfect! Thank you!

I'm definitely not going to pick up the cheapest things on the shelf at Walmart, but GW being GW I know their stuff is overpriced. I'll definitely keep that link as a reference and get what's appropriate.

Really looking forward to see this hobby evolve. For years I've enjoyed the 40K universe through everything but the miniatures. Time to dive in!

Welcome to the hobby!  You're about to embark and a very enjoyable and rewarding pastime.

GW's new tools are ridiculously priced.  $23 for a knife or a saw?  $12.50 for tweezers?  This is insane.

A couple of useful blog articles on the subject can be found at Sage Brush as well as Hand Cannon Online.

The only two Citadel tools I've found to be worth the price are the mold line remover and the clippers.  Sure you can get less expensive clippers from companies like Testors or Privateer, but the Citadel ones are actually really sturdy and well-made.  Worth the investment.  The drill is pretty good too - I like the swivel pommel, it makes drilling comfortable. However, you can probably find a very comparable one elsewhere, and for less.  But never pay $23 for a knife handle, or for the same handle with some saw blades.  

So.........clippers. Personally I've used every incarnation GW make, and the latest ones are brilliant. Possibly best hobby tool I have.

Files, buy elsewhere as they are a lot cheaper. Hobby drill, GW is nice but again others will pretty much do the same.

Brushes......this can be very personal. I have Windsor and Newton series 7's, can be expensive but soo worth it!

If I was on a budget though I would be happy using GW brushes, I have a TON of them and they are ok. Upkeep is the key. As with all tools.

Primer, I use Halfords Car primer the plastic version. It's cheap and cheerful but does everything GW one does for two thirds the price.

Your best bet is go to GW, use the tools and get all the advice you can. Feel the way it all works and go from there. There's nothing wrong with any of GWs stuff they just have a healthy markup that's all.

BCC

Well brushes is a rather personal subjekt.

Personly i think the GW brushes arent bad, but they arent good either for advanced painting technics.

I suggest to go to an artstore and look for some red sable brushes preferable Kolinsky red sable brushes.

There are alot manufactures which come in quality close to the W&N Series 7 brushes but are a bit cheaper.

Most important is, that the brushes hold their tip while painting or you wont get good results.

Dont buy the artificer brush set from GW, you could get set with 4 W&N brushes way cheaper than the artificer ones (more than 10 € cheaper).

As a set i would suggest a W&N Series 7 Size 1 and a Size 2 (you can even paint eyes with a Size 1), some cheap flat brushes for drybrushing (i use sets from a local discounter for 1,5 € as drybrushing kills brushes in a short time)

Then get some brush soap from the artstore to take care of your brushes (but that can replaced with shampoo from your wife / girlfriend).

Find a hobby shop or model RC car shop in your area; I'm sure that, unless you're in the deepest reaches of the Great White North, you'll find one locally.  Should be good to go with all your hobby needs.  Larger chains like Michaels (dunno if those are in Canada) might have some things, but not more specific tools.

As noted in the Tool of the Hobby thread, I will be updating and improving that wall-o-information at some point in the somewhat near future. While I want to add to the content and do some editing, one of the key things I want to do is break it all down into some basic categories to help digest it all. Some tools/items are 'must haves' (in my humble opinion) for everyone, some are very useful for scratch building (but that's only a segment of the hobby population), others are 'nice to have' in general but not essential, while some are 'nice to have' for more specific purposes. Everyone has a different level that they're willing to invest initially, and during the life of their hobby time, and that's up to the individual. But if you're serious about building and painting these little plastic sculptures, investing a small amount in a few good quality tools is worth it every time you sit down to work on something.

For years I've been using 'ok' clippers that have served me well enough. Recently I finally broke down and purchased a set of 'high-end' clippers by Xuron, with 'micro shearing action', no less. Ooooo... fancy! But, now that I've tried them, I have to admit they work extremely well, putting my old set to shame. Especially now, with kits being produced with more delicate parts, I can see now how good clippers can make a real difference. 

For years I've been using 'ok' clippers that have served me well enough. Recently I finally broke down and purchased a set of 'high-end' clippers by Xuron, with 'micro shearing action', no less. Ooooo... fancy! But, now that I've tried them, I have to admit they work extremely well, putting my old set to shame. Especially now, with kits being produced with more delicate parts, I can see now how good clippers can make a real difference. 

Same for me, except that I got myself some Lindstrom Tools cutters with big handles. Not only do they cut like a dream (the old clippers don't even come close), but the big soft handles suit my large hands much better.

The thing is that the older clippers, with the small handles and crummy spring, caused my hands quite a bit of cramping and pain after just some 20 minutes' use. They were fine for cutting half a dozen bits of brass rod, but de-spruing a couple of boxes of models... Not so much. I used these sorts of tools for years anyway (and I still have the callouses to show for it), and at one point the cramping got bad enough that and I decided that there had to be a better solution. Afterall, I only have one pair of hands, and I would therefore prefer to not damage them!

And that's the other thing about good tools that goes beyond a raw money cost - you're getting better quality, better longevity, better performance, and safer use out of them. Besides, good tools are quite often cheaper than "hobby" tools too, which is helpful in offsetting the cost of cheaper tools (sculpting tools, drill bits, and drills) against more expensive ones (files, knives, and cutters).

Comfortable seating is also a worth thinking about if you're going to be doing long hours on the hobby.

I'm a tall bloke and find having several different places all at different levels around the house helps. If sitting isn't comfortable then I can stand at another place or even just rest my bum on a work surface. Each place has hobby space to keep what I'm working on safe from the kids. :)

Archived