The Rimefel Crusade - Live Fire Exercise

Cognative

Week Three of my FLGS Escalation League results in another win for the Templar and the Rimefel Crusade. I have been absolutely loving shooty Dreadnoughts this edition, and although I was not playing a traditional Templar list again, I would have certainly made our Primarch-Progenitor proud with the weapons brought to the enemy.

This week I played a League game against a Guilliman/General Imperium list, and a second game against a Raven Guard list.

The Rimefel Crusade - Vanguard Detachment

HQ - Castellan on a Bike with TH/SS - Reroll ones bubble/deep strike deterrent

Elites - Venerable Dreadnought with 2x Twin Autocannon

Venerable Dreadnought with 2x Twin Autocannon

Venerable Dreadnought with 2x Twin Autocannon

Heavy Support - Predator with Predator Autocannon and Sponson Heavy Bolters, Hunter Killer Missile

Predator with Predator Autocannon and Sponson Lascannons, Hunter Killer Missile

Guilliman and his Imperial Dogs

Sanguinary Priest with JP + Assault Marines with JP

Grey Knights Strike Squad

Sniper Scouts Squad with Missile Launcher x3

Guilliman

This list was thrown together kind of last minute, my opponent had just finished painting Guilliman and really wanted to use him in a game. So he fit Gman into a list that was not designed around him at all. I knew if he made it into CQC I was in trouble, but otherwise had no worries about fighting this list.

Templar finish deployment first, opponent does not seize.

Turn 1

Templar -

Right off the bat, the Dreadnoughts and Predators start tearing peices into the scout squads sitting on objectives, as Big Blue and the Jump Marines are deployed out of LoS. 2 scout squads are dead at the end of shooting. I now wait for the cowards to come into my firing lanes.

Imperium-

Guilliman and the Jump Marines move forward. The Strike Squad teleporter shunts to my back lines. They do one wound with shooting and fail their charge against a predator. Scouts don't do much, snipers being out of range and missile launcher dealing no to little damage.

Turn 2

Templar -

Guilliman and the Jump Marines are now in LoS. The strike squad I leave to my Castellan. The Jump Marines are destroyed by Autocannon fire, Guilliman takes a few wounds, and the Sanguinary Priest survives. My Castellan Charges the Strike Squad after killing one in shooting, and manges to kill 3 more in CQC. The last remaining member swings back with a Deamon Hammer, dealing 3 wounds to the captain, 2 of which he succeeds his warlord trait FNP against.

Imperium -

Guilliman moves up and fires upon the closest predator, dealing a few wounds. The Priest falls back to an objective. Snipers do next to nothing. Guilliman charges and destroys a predator. Unfortunately this leaves him wide open in the middle of my gunline with half wounds.

Turn 3

Templar - Autocannon chew through Guilliman, and he does not resurrect at the end of the phase. My opponent concedes.

After Action thoughts - Autocannons are seriously scary. I am loving a shooty dread list this edition. I will probably keep playing this way until the codex drops, or I get a chance to play a more fluffy game. My opponent did not have a great list, he really just wanted to put his shiney new Guilliman on the table. He is starting to paint Ultras, but always runs WYSIWYG, so didn't want to proxy his BA as Ultras.

Vs. Raven Guard to come later tonight.

Black Templar vs Raven Guard, 1000 points

I was using the same list as in the last post. My opponent had Shrike, 3 5man Assault Marine squads, some snipers, and a Stormraven with Venerable Dreadnought in it.

I finished deploying first, and had first turn.

With the majority of his units in reserves or out of sight, I opened up on the Stormraven, and brought it down to 4 wounds. On his turn, he deep struck 2 squads of assault Marines and Shrike. The Marines make the charge against a predator, Shrike fails. He deals 2 wounds to the pred with some terrible rolls.

Turn 2

Templar- The Predator falls back, and the dreads unleash hell on the Marines. The Castellan Charges shrike and turns him into pulp. I deal a few more wounds to the storm Raven.

Raven Guard - the Venerable drops from the Raven, and opens up with an Assault Cannon on a Dreadnought, dealing a few wounds. Assault Marines move up.

Turn 3

Templar - Dreadnoughts shoot down the Raven, preds deal damage to the opponents Venerable, leaving it at one wound. Castellan moves just outside of an inch to finish the dread off in melee, but manage to take the last wound out with the twin bolter. The castellan then makes a 12 inch charge against very poorly placed scouts. My opponent concedes with 1 5 man assault Squad left.

This shooty dread list hasn't been even threatened yet at my local store, but it feels odd to be leaving the LRCs at home.looking forward to playing a big fluffy game soon, but until then, I'll keep rocking the Autocannons and making Dorn proud.

Dreadnoughts are making some progress. So many arms to paint still...

http://i.imgur.com/HIQnzmw.jpg

I've just been trying to batch paint these guys as much as possible while not making them too same-y. Hoping to get some more Autocannons soon, I want to be able to run 3 Twin Auto dreads.

Predator Rescue Project

This was a Predator Chassis that I bought from a box of beaten to peices models for $1. The sides had such huge gaps in it, to the point I had to basically cut them off and reglue them, replacing the rear hatch and front panel. It had the Sponson overhangs but no weapons, and no turret. I had extra heavy bolter Sponson bits that were a little battered, and the auto Cannon, but no turret to attach it to. I scratch built the turret you see here with random rhino bits and paneling from a baneblade or Chimera or something.

Paint is WiP

http://i.imgur.com/2ikpDdU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TJtg6tI.jpg

What Marshal Mattias said, well done! I like the super-sized turret, reminds me that of a USSR KV2 tank. The only thing I'd change is remove the 'pins' where the headlights should be. Oh, and holes in the exhaust pipes!

Yeah I have a lot of exhaust pipes to drill through out my army, something like 12 - 14 rhino chassis. And good call on the pins, didn't even think of that!

Yeah it was quite a process to pull apart, shave down, and retrofit. But it came out really well I think.

You did an excellent job, and a commendable too - the state of disrepair (destruction?) of the chassis is something most would probably consider as beyond reclamation ! I hope you found much satisfaction in the project. And once again, very clever use of bits for the turret.

Hell yes! The Rhino rides again. As someone who has a near complete rehab project army (2 out of my 20 or so vehicles were NIB), I can certainly appreciate the time it took to bring that back to life. Well done and great bashing!

Half of my Land Raiders are rescue projects and it's very satisfying to take something that was cast out and bring it back into the Crusade.

Your efforts on the Predator are to be commended. It turned out very well and this is anecdotal, but it has been my experience that the rescue projects fight even harder than the store boughts.

this is anecdotal, but it has been my experience that the rescue projects fight even harder than the store boughts.

Luckily the gaps in the chassis were so large, it was was easy to get a knife in there and cut the wads of super glue out. Then a lot of filing once it was apart.

I really like Unrelenting Fury, and I've got an unnamed Whirlwind that I think Justice Hunter would work perfectly for! Thanks for the suggestions. I've got probably 8 razorbacks, 2 vindicators, and a few Land Raiders to name still, I always have issues with that.

I really like Unrelenting Fury, and I've got an unnamed Whirlwind that I think Justice Hunter would work perfectly for! Thanks for the suggestions. I've got probably 8 razorbacks, 2 vindicators, and a few Land Raiders to name still, I always have issues with that.

A Predator is a hunter (pun intended). A Whirlwind artillery tank does not seek to close with the enemy, as that negates the advantages its barrage weapon brings. For such tactics, the name "Lawbringer" or "Lawgiver" is more appropriate.

You make a good point. I do have an unnamed Ironclad that has Hubterkillers on it...

For the Ironclad Dreadnought, maybe you can have his battle-brothers refer to him as "Chief Justice", after a title he held in life? Say "Justice" is an alternative title for "Champion", which your Templars adopted during a crusade to "bring justice to [insert the name of an enemy of the Imperium here]"?

• 4 weeks later...

Last Thursday during my weekly Escalation League I decided to bring a list to more or less ruin someones day in a comical wall of Steel.

1850 Point Spearhead Detachment

HQ- Marshall on a Bike with The Teeth of Terra and Storm Shield

Heavy Support- Land Raider with HK Missile

Land Raider with HK Missile

Land Raider Crusader with Multimelta

Land Raider Crusader with Multimelta

Land Raider Redeemer with Multimelta

And wouldn't you know it, but I get paired up against an all Armor Guard list.

Baneblade with 4 Lascannon/Heavy Flamer sponsons

Pask in Eradicator with Tri Plas

Demolisher with Triple Heavy Flamer x3

Manticore x2

Staring down the barrel of the baneblade was quite terrifying at first. I really didn't think it was going to go well. But I have first turn. The LRCs and LRR charge upfield. The Marshall follows behind granting rerolls of ones. The Godhammers stick just close enough behind to get the reroll buff too. Opening with all weapons cripples 2 demolishers and takes pask down to half. The 2 multimeltas in range of the baneblade roll well, dealing a handful of wounds. During the guards first round of shooting, the Redeemer is demolished, and the crusaders are brought down a bit, still at full strength though.

Turn 2 goes swimmingly for the Templar. Lascannons, Assault Cannons, and hurricane Bolters shred the Russess, destroying 2 and bring the others down to the weakest profile. Hunter killers (which I forgot to fire turn 1) and multimeltas bring the baneblade down to 6 or so wounds with an amazing round of rolls. The guard tanks are so crippled at this point they deal minimal damage to the wall of advancing Land Raiders.

Turn three is clean up, leaving nothing but a single wounded manticore on the table. My opponent concedes.

Thoughts: Godhammers got a lot better. Multimeltas did a lot of work, and the mortal wounds on charges with the frag assault launchers is great.

I plan on playing a more Templar-y list next week and will have a real batrep for you all

Battle Report - 2000 point exercise, The Rimefel Crusade vs Crimson Fists

My world eaters opponent didn't show last night, so I ended up facing of against our Brothers from the Crimson Fists. I brought a melee list to have a fun brawl with the world eaters and ended up facing a lot of ranged firepower.

The Rimefel Crusade

Vanguard Detachment

HQ - Chaplain Dread with Dreadnought Crozius (CCW) and Inferno Cannon

Elites - Contemptor with Assault Cannon

Ironclad with Hurricane Bolter, Chain fist, Hunter Killer x2

Ironclad with Seismic Hammer and CCW, Heavy Flamer x2

Cenobyte Servitors

Troops - 20 Man CC Crusader squad with Power Axe 2 and flamer

Fast Attack - 10 man Assault Marines with Power Axe and Combat shield

10 man Assault Marines with Power Axe and Combat shield

Vanguard Detachment

HQ - Marshal with Power Sword and MC boltgun