Charlo's Ad Mec - [Tournament Reports & Thoughts]

Charlo

So I bought a box of Skitarii the week they came out aaaaaand... Now finally I have almost finished painting them!

Very happy with the scheme overall, just need a new turquoise to finish the Arc/ Plasma/ Taser effects and to put the backpacks on.

Oh - and I officially love clear bases.

Enjoy the little video... It's Kingsman in the background - about to start one of the best scenes of all time...

Edited by Charlo

Aha the vibrant effect is the spotlight on them, they're actually pretty grungy... Honest!

Mephiston Red cloaks > Nuln Oil

Leadbelcher metals > Nuln Oil

Averland sunset > Reikland Flesh

Tinbitz > Agrax

White and blue glows are Altdorf blue with lahmian medium and whitescar!

It's pretty much all base paints with washes. I was going to go bright then decided I couldn't be bothered and they're better with a dirty look anyhow ;)

Edited by Charlo

They look great Charlo! Really like the clear bases too, I think they'll look great on the tabletop. What's next on the painting table? :smile.:

*glances over to the 6 Kataphrons, 2 Kastelans, Datasmith, Castellax, 2 Tech Priests & some servitor bits on my desk & Cawl in the mail* ....:dry.: :yes:

The Kataphron are semi built (4/6) so I may do those next... I'm awfully tempted to buy 3 start collecting boxes for more special weapons, skitarii and a trio of Onagers to start running a Grand convocation... Maybe some Generators too ;)

The gold accents on the Alpha really make him stand out!  Overall awesome work, are you tempted to go for more AdMech?  :biggrin.:

Thanks! I was quite unsure on the gold while I was doing it, but a bit of Agrax tamed it down to the rest of the model. On his own he looks a bit weird but among the squad he really stands out as the leader.

As for more... See above!

...Won't be for a little bit though, I'm signed up to a Heresy campaign and need to paint 1k points of Talons in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for the last of that to arrive. In the down time I'll be building this stuff up though, I've really caught the Ad Mech bug again. When Fires of Cyraxus eventually drops I think that will be my GO button to buy a load of robots and stuff.

I've got some Gene-bulked Myrmidon conversions planned using Bullgryns as a base...

They look great Charlo! Really like the clear bases too, I think they'll look great on the tabletop. What's next on the painting table? :smile.:

*glances over to the 6 Kataphrons, 2 Kastelans, Datasmith, Castellax, 2 Tech Priests & some servitor bits on my desk & Cawl in the mail* ....:dry.: :yes:

The Kataphron are semi built (4/6) so I may do those next... I'm awfully tempted to buy 3 start collecting boxes for more special weapons, skitarii and a trio of Onagers to start running a Grand convocation... Maybe some Generators too :wink:

That's great! I started off my Ad Mech with three Skitarii boxes and two of the Start Collecting Boxes: it's a really good way to bulk up core things you'll always need. Since I used my Kataphrons for other conversion pieces, I'm thinking that they may be something I need to do soonish from the Eradication Force box-set. Look forward to seeing more of your work in that scheme!

the technical paint that does verdigris effects works well as plasma and weapons glow ...Nikilah oxide?... i use it over white for arc glow and lenses...

med_gallery_9146_6928_336775.jpg

great stuff by the way :thumbsup:

cheers Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

Paints arrived, trying to settle on the Arc effect I want...

Left to right: Nihilakh Oxide, Baharroth Blue, Guilliman Blue and then what they were before on the right.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20170402_223211_zpsqg4c29ln.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No pics, but I decided to go a little crazy and buy twenty pre built Skitarii on eBay... The assembly being the worst part of Skitarii, all they are missing is sergeant options, that I can put together later. All three specials included too!

So I'll have 30 Vanguard as a base for my forces.

That's some pretty respectable reinforcements. Aren't the hard to paint when they are all assembled like that? It's nice to hear the backbone of your force is being further galvanised. :)

I painted mine fully assembled, as well.  I definitely found it more tedious than I was expecting but it's not impossible.  Doing sub-assemblies for Skitarii is tough because their parts are so carefully aligned and integrated; maintaining consistency on the cloaks when the model is in parts, for example, can be a problem.

Skitarii arrived and they're great, I now have 3 squads of Vanguard each with a triple of one of the special weapons.

Going to manage what I can but if I'm lucky i'll get them painted by Saturday... Along with 4 Kastellan, 2 Datasmith, 6 Kataphron & Cawl... For some games at Warhammer World!

Could be matched against Marines, BA, IW, Eldar or 'Nids - will be sure to post in the HARD-DATA how my first outing goes.

....Gulp.

Waiting for the 8th rules to drop before I buy anything else, but I'm hoping that Secutarii and Onagers remain awesome - as I'd like to buy 3 start collecting boxes to get me going on those.

OH and I've decided I'd quite like a Yellow Knight House - any that are Mars aligned that I can use from the fluff? Also a Yellow Titan Legion if possible.

I feel the same. Some more Skitarii and Onagers would be nice and I'm scared 8th edition might be a convenient time for GW to stop the start collecting boxes. I hope they don't because they are amazing, and thanks to Forge World spare Skitarii bodies are still really useful.

Are you considering producing more Rangers? If the 8th edition rules are a big turnaround suddenly the Vanguard/Ranger status quo may be shifting...?

In all honesty I would have had 2 Vanguard and 1 Ranger squad, but the deal I got on the eBay vanguard was too goo to pass up (same price as new for pre-assembled and base coated) so I ended up with 3 Vanguard.

I like the Aesthetics of rangers a lot, especially with 3 Aquebus so I'd like one squad. We'll see though!

I hear you on that one. Rangers with the Transuranic Arquebus look fantastic in my opinion. I assembled my first squad as Rangers because I liked the hooded helmets and longrifles. I was not aware at the time how scary the humble str3 Radium Carbines were.

If 8th has the same weapon stats as Shadow War does the Arquebus might be a nasty weapon to put the hurt on characters and some monstrous creatures. It won't be as powerful as an autocannon but hopefully it'll have some extra tricks up it's sleeve to make it a bit better than such a mundane weapon. :p

Built 3 Kataphron Breachers and a very special Dominus with Volkite Blaster and Stubcarbine.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/IMG_20170424_232527_zpsfv2appvr.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/IMG_20170424_232235_zpsyzw58c14.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/IMG_20170424_232309_zpsgclddp6a.jpg