Dark Angels Ironwing Protocol 3000 points

McFistn'Cuffs

First time poster, in the past I've been posting my list and models on different forums but list critiquing was never a priority on them so I'm here for advice and criticism. I started my Dark Angel army at 1000 points and been slowly bumping it up to 3000 which is what most of the local meta sits around. In the lower points games I've had pretty good winning streak and considering my local meta is very competitive I'm happy with what my dudes can do. I have a tourney coming up in a couple of weeks so I want to be ready, the winner of it get a Knight Errant model, something I've considered grabbing in the past before settling on a Typhon for my LoW. So here it is. 

HQ

Delegatus - 110

-Terminator armor, thunder hammer

4 man Command Squad - 420

-terminator armor, calabanite war blade x2, chain fist x2, Lad Raider Phobos : multi-melta, frag assault launchers

Elites

Mortis Dreadnought - 165

-two twin-linked lascannons, 2 hunter killer missiles

Mortis Dreadnought - 165

-two twin-linked lascannons, 2 hunter killer missiles

Troops

Tactical Squad - 180

vexilla, Sergeant: melta bombs, Rhino: combi-melta

Tactical Squad - 180

Tactical Squad - 180

Heavy Support

Predator Strike Force

Predator Tank - 180
heavy bolters, executioner plasma destroyer, hunter-killer missile, machine spirit

Predator Tank - 180
heavy bolters, executioner plasma destroyer, hunter-killer missile, machine spirit

Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron
Vindicator Siege Tank - 160
laser destroyer array, machine spirit, combi-bolter

Vindicator Siege Tank - 160
laser destroyer array, machine spirit, combi-bolter

Vindicator Siege Tank - 130
laser destroyer array

Leviathan Seige Pattern Dreadnought - 395
twin-linked volkite caliver, siege drill with inbuilt meltagun, phosphex discharger, Dreadnought Drop Pod

LoW

Typhon - 395

Total: 3000

I'm trying to make most of Ironwing Protocols special rules. All squadrons of tanks are at BS 5 hence the Machine Spirit on most of them, I want them shooting every round they can but I don't know if Machine Spirit on both Predators is an effective point drop. Would Medusa's make an effecting replacement for them? Executioners rule gives all rapid fire guns +1 to wound within 12" which works very well with the standard bolter, almost feels like Tacticals are totting around heavy bolters, and the combi-bolters on terminators tear through most infantry. Vindicators have not disappointed me so far, if the stationary one is able to pop a vehicle or murder an interdependent character I split fire the other two, usually to good affect. Lastly there are the Mortis Dreadnoughts, I've always been a fan of Boxnoughts but was highly considering swapping them out of Contemptor-Mortis's with Kheres pattern assault cannons. Felt that wouldn't give me enough anti-air capability and with Tank Hunter they should preform very well. The hunter-killer missiles are just something I enjoy, not much beats an opening salvo of tank killers first turn. The Typhon shouldn't need explaining. 

Again I'm going to be playing against competitive list as far as 30k goes so and suggestions or criticism would be wonderful, thank you in advance. I'll comment or explain any inquiries about my list as well. 

the list looks really solid, and really encapsulates the idea behind Ironwing - I like! And I hadn't thought of the HK's, which may be an interesting upgrade

A question if i may - how are you balancing the non-tank units? Or how are you interpreting the requirements?

I understood it to be that a unit of tanks (ie the vindicators) counts as a single choice, thus negating a single other option - eg the leviathan? to me it looks like 2 tank units (pred's and vindi's) and 5 other choices to counter - delegatus, 2 x mortis, levi and typhon.

Sadly the Ironwing protocol is so ambiguous that there's no clear answer I don't think - and Forge World aren't responding to my emails - I think even they don't know teehee.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

My guess would be that you're counting the Typhon as a 'tank' choice - which it should probably be by RAI, but by RAW it isn't - it's a super-heavy vehicle. 

Totally stupid, but that's how the rules are written.

All the Tacs got their Rhinos, so the ratio is fine.

Command squad got their LR, also good.

Then we got 2 squadrons of tanks (Preds & Vindicators) opposed to:  Delegatus, Mortis Squadron (I would assume) & Leviathan, plus the Typhon.

When we'd be counting the Typhon as a 'tank' unit, then that ration would be 3:3. Sadly it's 2:4 as it stands.

The Levi's Drop Pod counts, and Mortis Dreads can't be squadroned. A Delegatus prohibits a LOW choice when he's the warlord, so he needs to be upgraded to a Praetor. The Command Squad can't take Calibanite Warblades because they are characters (Chosen Warriors specifically says this).

I would consider some additional weapons and ceramite on the Typhon. Sure it's already a big target, but it can't be Shaken or Stunned, so some added Lascannons can fire with some reliability until it gets blown up.

Thank you for the prompt responses.

how are you balancing the non-tank units? Or how are you interpreting the requirements?

I understood it to be that a unit of tanks (ie the vindicators) counts as a single choice, thus negating a single other option - eg the leviathan? to me it looks like 2 tank units (pred's and vindi's) and 5 other choices to counter - delegatus, 2 x mortis, levi and typhon.

I asked my shop owner and with the consensus of all the HH players at my location each tank in the list and the Typhon count towards the total so I'm running 6 tanks minus the dedicated transports. With the Dark Angels lack luster legion rules everyone was on board considering most game at 2500+ have a LoW and/or a Primarch. I originally ran a list with each squadron counting as a unit and it was a very very limiting RoW.

The Levi's Drop Pod counts, and Mortis Dreads can't be squadroned. A Delegatus prohibits a LOW choice when he's the warlord, so he needs to be upgraded to a Praetor. The Command Squad can't take Calibanite Warblades because they are characters (Chosen Warriors specifically says this).

I would consider some additional weapons and ceramite on the Typhon. Sure it's already a big target, but it can't be Shaken or Stunned, so some added Lascannons can fire with some reliability until it gets blown up.

Thanks for pointing out that the Drop Pod counted as a separate unit, I totally over looked that. I guess I'll have to cut out 40 points for a Preator, I was trying to keep most of my units as cheap as possible minus the tanks so I wouldn't always have less units than the opponent at the end of the game, that special rule really cost me early on in my HH career because I had so few units. As for the Typhon I can't justify spending 40 points on a pair of lascannons for it, from my experiences dealing with them they hardly need it. It's mostly there to drop terminator spam which has gone up so much since Custodes were released.  

Archived