Bedouin2's Raven Guard Company Journey

Bedouin2

Welp, gotta go for it then.

Welcome back from the drive btw!

Thanks Race! But yea go for it. I sent him a message through Shapeways asking if i could get a custom order of the mixed Raven Guard pads he has and also asked if he could do a custom one (the one on the right, the mechanicus gear with the raven skull in the middle) and the same day i sent the message he had it ready to where i could order it. Also got a set of 10 of the regular pads with the RG icon on it. 20 out of 10 for the service and will getting more business from me in the future for sure.  

Edit: Bad spelling

Edited by Bedouin2

Hey everyone!

Got some questions for yall concerning Liquid Masking. Does anyone here have any experience with it? If so is it worth the money, easy to remove after being used, etc? Just wanting to know before I buy some. Thinking it might help me out with detailing but I don't want to get it just to find it frustrating to use.

As always Thanks!

...might see some completed models later today for once! Let's just hope I'm content with the final details I have, I hate that I'm some what of a perfectionist without the skill in painting to pull it off :wallbash:

Hey everyone!

Got some questions for yall concerning Liquid Masking. Does anyone here have any experience with it? If so is it worth the money, easy to remove after being used, etc? Just wanting to know before I buy some. Thinking it might help me out with detailing but I don't want to get it just to find it frustrating to use.

As always Thanks!

...might see some completed models later today for once! Let's just hope I'm content with the final details I have, I hate that I'm some what of a perfectionist without the skill in painting to pull it off :wallbash:

What sort of model are you looking at using it on?  Infantry?  Vehicles?

I've looked at it, and I personally feel that it would obscure more than they would protect, then you could have issues removing it, on infantry.

On vehicles, I think it would work, especially if you are trying to do chapter symbols etc.

I could be wrong though.

Well the more I think about it I believe it would be a good counter measure to my shaky hands and clumsiness. I spend more than needed time "fixing" areas where I accidently nik it with paint. This would add more time of course to finishing models, but it wouldn't be time that frustrates me, if that makes any sense.

I can't speak of liquid masking as I've never used it. But when I started back in the hobby, I found this article really helpful with reducing the effects of shaky hands and the brush tip going where I didn't want it to.

TL;DR by resting your elbows gently against the bottom of your ribcage, and interlocking the heels of your palms whilst you paint you create a nice stable platform to paint from.  And any shake in your brush hand is matched by your miniature holding hand anyway. Less shaking means less correcting.

Very nice! Is that freehand on the apothecary helm or is there a beaky apothecary head bit out there somewhere???

There most certainly is! I got it on eBay from Bits World. It's the Dark Angels Ravenwing Apothecary upgrade kit.

Edited by Bedouin2

Kind of an update here but one with no progress to show. Due unforeseen expenses showing up i haven't been able to put a dime into my project for the last few weeks. I hope to be back up and running strong with this in a month or so, give some time to acquire some needed materials and what not. Just wanted to announce that I haven't abandoned this, just taking time to restrengthen is all.    

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in the saddle again... almost. After a good cold period I've been able to make some purchases, acquire new paints and tools and all that good stuff. Some stuff came earlier than expected so I jumped right on it and knocked out some progress. I went ahead and got some of the liquid mask to try it out, and waiting for some color shapers with silicon tips to help work with that stuff. Also waiting on some Scale 75 paint to come in and experiment with it. Anyway here's a pic of my progress so far. Mostly just waiting for the paint to arrive so i can really get on the ball.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/Bedouin1991/Mobile%20Uploads/1f74eb90-54d9-446b-9bc0-02911cd87bc4_zps6gxnobxf.jpg

Edited by Bedouin2

• 3 weeks later...

A test model i've been working on is coming along nicely, probably going to become a Tac Sgt or something special. Also attempting to make some custom Corvia, a detail I want all of my RG to have for fluff reasons. Hopefully have this guy done very soon, if the raven skulls come out to my liking that is...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/Bedouin1991/Mobile%20Uploads/6c330880-8485-4a1a-9a68-cb9d3b380357_zpsawmsitaz.jpg

Edited by Bedouin2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This post I'm making as a reference and checklist for myself to easily keep track of what I need to accomplish. Some pics will be coming soon though, the HHotE challenge has really brought a bunch of plastic on my hobby table, and with my paint scheme settled, I'm ready to knuckle down and get this going.

This set up is what I feel best represents a Company going out on a Crusade or something similar. Raven Guard are stealthy, but smart to know to bring the big guns and armour for when things get weird.

Raven Guard 4th Company

Tactical Element - 0/60 complete

Assault Element - 0/20 complete

Devastator Element - 0/20 complete

Shadow Captain - WIP

Chaplain -

Librarian -

Techmarine -

Ancient -

Apothecary - WIP

Company Champion -

Command Land Raider -

Rhino Transport - 0/8 complete

Drop Pods - 0/8 complete - 1 WIP

Thunderfire Cannon -

Dreadnought -

Alternative Assault

Land Speeders variants - 0/8 completed - 1 WIP

Land Speeder Tempest -

Relic Javelin Attack Speeder -

Bikes - 0/18 completed

Attack Bike -

Maybe some Centurions

Alternative Devastator

Maybe some Devastator Centurions

Predators - 0/4 complete

Vindicators - 0/2 complete

Whirlwinds - 0/2 complete

Hunter -

Stalker -

*Can't quite remember but if I recall correctly the crew of each of these vehicles is 2. What I can't recall is if it is Techmarines or regular marines, so this may change.

Air Wing

* I need further info on this before I make a checklist.

1st Company Support

Tartarus Terminator Squad - WIP

10th Company Support

Scout Squad w/ Sniper Rifle - pic later

Other Raven Guard

Master of the Rites 5th Company Captain - pic later

Imperial Space Marine - WIP

The Ultramarines has their 4th Company detailed out with Land Raider, 4 Rhinos, 2 Razorbacks, Stalker, Hunter, 4 Dreadnoughts, 2 Land Speeders and 6 Assault Centurions. So that right there is the baseline for a Codex compliant Chapter.... but I like mine better. Even though the Raven Guard are never at full numbers, we do have a forgeworld to lay claim to :thumbsup:

Edited by Bedouin2

I think you can safely assume the Battle Companies are at full strength. The Reserve companies are probably the understrength portion.

Makes sense if you think about it. Reserve company members can sub in for lost marines at any time, so that would imply they are perfectly capable of performing that role in a Battle Company. If the Raven Guard have 800 battle brothers, the Battle Companies won't be where they're short.

• 4 weeks later...

++INCOMING TRANSMISSION++

++SOURCE AUTHENTICATED: ORDO ASTARTES - INQUISITOR (REDACTED) ++

++TRANSMISSION STRENGTH: LOW++

++This is Inquisitor (REDACTED) of the Ordo Astartes, operating under Order 477392A to further document and investigate the Adeptus Astarte Chapters stationed in Ultima Segmentum with cooperation with the Ultramarine Chapter. I send this distress signal after coming out of a 14 Standard Terran month warp jump from Segmentum Solar. My Astropaths tell me we returned to real-space off point. Their combined judgement believes us to be far into the Eastern Fringes for the light of the God-Emperor is barely shinning upon us. Our scans of the immediate area have detected a planet and, God-Emperor willing, seems to be part of the Imperium.  We have also detected scans coming from the planet directed towards us. Communication has been attempted, but it appears that whomever resides on the planet is only listening. Our supplies have been over extended from the pro-longed warp jump, and i fear we have only a few weeks left of rationing before we all start to perish. Already i have lost crewman of my ship. It is my decision to proceed to the planet, attempt landfall and establish communication at once. The Emperor Prote.... Wait... further readings coming in... It seems the planet has a name. Repentance.++

++TRANSMISSION ENDS++

So... Once again I've changed my mind and decided to take a different approach. Though i love the Raven Guard, lately i've felt restricted with them, and other traits of other Chapters appeal to me greatly. And yes I know i can do whatever when it comes to modelling and what not, but it never feels right with me to mess with established lore. So i'm making my own Successor of the Raven Guard. Technically I'm taking a Chapter that only has a name, a somewhat icon that may or may not change, and a planet, and creating my own lore around it.

Also i want to attempt to present them through a narrative. I've always had the idea of trying to write some fiction about an Inquisitor from the Ordo Astartes. So we will see how this goes. With each model and unit i present will have more details about the Chapter through the eyes of the Inquisitor. I'm not the best with names, so their name will be (REDACTED) for the time being lol.

More to come soon, tomorrow more than likely.... Model wise... maybe a little longer due to certain changes to attire and paint scheme. Expect similarities to match that of the Raven Guard of course, The Raptors, The Rout, Flesh Tearers and who knows who else.  

I really love the setup of the story so far and especially the idea of developing an Army and a Story side by side. Can't wait for more!

I'm back in the saddle again... almost. After a good cold period I've been able to make some purchases, acquire new paints and tools and all that good stuff. Some stuff came earlier than expected so I jumped right on it and knocked out some progress. I went ahead and got some of the liquid mask to try it out, and waiting for some color shapers with silicon tips to help work with that stuff. Also waiting on some Scale 75 paint to come in and experiment with it. Anyway here's a pic of my progress so far. Mostly just waiting for the paint to arrive so i can really get on the ball.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/Bedouin1991/Mobile%20Uploads/1f74eb90-54d9-446b-9bc0-02911cd87bc4_zps6gxnobxf.jpg

Are those regular Citadel Color Bottles? Or do you transfer the colours in those bottles (and put the citadel label on)?

@duz_  I'm going to use the paint I was using with regular RG, the gunmetal metallic I have. As for a secondary color I'm still testing out. Perhaps a shade of purple or red. Time will tell. As far as units go, everything is game... except Primaris. I believe it was last year when I noticed  The Nameless Chapter in the 7th Ed. Codex map. Of course I was interested, but not brave enough to do something with them. Now I am, and them being the Eastern most Chapter out there, it make sense to me that they have not received any reinforcements... But there are other details to that.... don't want to spoil everything so soon :wink:

Plus I'm still on the wall about the new Primaris. They are wonderful looking models.... but I feel GW could of done something so much better than throw out a SM 2.0.... but that is just my personal opinion.

@Filius  I transferred the Citadel paint over to the dropper bottles. The bottles are 15ml, more than enough to hold the paint. You just got to be careful with thinning the paints to make them flow enough into the new bottle. Be extra careful with the metallics as well... I messed up a few by doing this. I suggest getting agitators to put into the bottles to help mix and break everything down. If you want in-depth instructions on how I did it I can provide a link. 

@Filius  I transferred the Citadel paint over to the dropper bottles. The bottles are 15ml, more than enough to hold the paint. You just got to be careful with thinning the paints to make them flow enough into the new bottle. Be extra careful with the metallics as well... I messed up a few by doing this. I suggest getting agitators to put into the bottles to help mix and break everything down. If you want in-depth instructions on how I did it I can provide a link. 

I'd actually be interested in this :)

Where do you get the bottles from?