Want to start in 30k and need help

Brink

So I've been wanting to get into 30k for a while now and specifically with the Thousand Sons legion. I know book 7 Inferno came out recently with rules for the Thousand Sons. But I would like to ask what else would I need and if the Burning of Prospero set is worth it for starting Thousand Sons. I also want to know if the rules work in a similar manner to 40k as I've never actually watched a 30k game but plan on doing so here shortly.

Thanks for any help! 

Welcome to 30k! Brief disclaimer: I'd avoid working on a strict army list right now, as with 8th edition imminent, there will no doubt be some changes (possibly significant) to the way 30k plays and units are costed/work, so it may be a good idea to avoid large purchases.

In order to play the Thousand Sons, you need Book 7: Inferno, and the Age of Darkness Army List (one of the two red books). This will give you both the main list and your Legion specific rules, characters & Primarch.

30k uses the same core rules as 40k, 7th edition, but without a lot of the superfluous junk. There are no formations or unbound, but instead a series of rigid Force Org charts and 'Rites of War,' which encourage narrative play. I suppose it kind of plays like 7th edition with the stricter army building you could expect from 5h & earlier. Armies & games are larger than your average 40k game though, with most people playing somewhere from 2000-3000 points. That being said, there are many ways to play smaller or larger 30k games, so there is something here for everybody.

The Burning of Prospero set is a good starting point for Thousand Sons, as is the Betrayal at Calth box. You'll get 30x marines, 5x terminators and Ahriman. The Sisters of Silence, Custodes & Geigor won't fit into a thematic TS army at the time of Prospero onwards, but you can always sell them or trade them for more models.

Hope this helps!

Ok thanks for the Input I really like the Prospero box set because I wanted to do a Corvidae cult which Ahriman was part of so I thought it would be fitting. And another small question what are the point values like? such are tactical marines more expensive in 30k vs 40k and vice versa.

Thanks again!

Welcome to 30k! Brief disclaimer: I'd avoid working on a strict army list right now, as with 8th edition imminent, there will no doubt be some changes (possibly significant) to the way 30k plays and units are costed/work, so it may be a good idea to avoid large purchases.

I disagree, you'll always need tacticals, and massive tanks will always look just as awesome and be just as impractical no matter the rules!

For a good base, I'd suggest 1*prospero, 1* calth, and then get your favourite forge world model as a centrepiece. This is probably a year or mores painting for most people, and has enough heavy/special weapons to make some basic support squads.

So I followed some advice given to me. And now I ask another question which is better the Legion Fellblade or Glaive? I absolutely love how both look but can only justify purchasing one atm.

Disclaimer: I have yet to purchase anything yet as I wanted my question answered before any decision.

If I was you I'd get Betrayal at Calth and but Ahriman from ebay for less than 10 dollars. BAC has 30 mkiv marines which fit better 1ks aesthetic, a contemptor and 5 cataphractii.

Between Fellblade and Glaive, Glaive can be used at 2.5k, Glaive can't. Fellblade is more of a do it all type of beast and Glaive a cool esoteric monster. Both are awesome and you can find actually a kit to convert it here:

http://stores.ebay.de/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

That way you can have both if you magnetise a little :)

If I was you I'd get Betrayal at Calth and but Ahriman from ebay for less than 10 dollars. BAC has 30 mkiv marines which fit better 1ks aesthetic, a contemptor and 5 cataphractii.

Between Fellblade and Glaive, Glaive can be used at 2.5k, Glaive can't. Fellblade is more of a do it all type of beast and Glaive a cool esoteric monster. Both are awesome and you can find actually a kit to convert it here:

http://stores.ebay.de/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

That way you can have both if you magnetise a little :)

So much this!

I would very much go for calth( and Ahriman on ebay), instead of the prospero set. Just more value for money.

So I followed some advice given to me. And now I ask another question which is better the Legion Fellblade or Glaive?

As the spokesman for the MDRC, I can say that: There is only one real answer to this and it isn't the Fellblade. :wink:

(Disclaimer: I am horribly, horribly biased.)

Thanks for the insight on the Glaive and Fellblade. But I also prefer the look of Tartaros and mk3 Marines more than mk4 and cataphractii. But thanks again for the help.

Well I definitely say that it is down to preference whether you go for BaC or BoP and Mks. What I've done is made my Mk III standard Tactical and Tactical Support Squads (they get the hand me down refurbished armors) while I have my Veteran Tactical and Heavy Support Squads wear Mk IV (they are privileged do their their status so they get the shiny new toys). Mk III have the Achean Pattern heads and the Mk IV get the Mk IV Thousand Sons heads.

I really don't like the plastic Contemptor and Cataphractii so they go into the pile of things to sell/trade.

So I say go with what you like and remember that Mk II, Mk III, and Mk IV are all appropriate Power Armors for the Thousand Sons fluff wise.

I disagree, you'll always need tacticals, and massive tanks will always look just as awesome and be just as impractical no matter the rules!

For a good base, I'd suggest 1*prospero, 1* calth, and then get your favourite forge world model as a centrepiece. This is probably a year or mores painting for most people, and has enough heavy/special weapons to make some basic support squads.

Avoiding a strict army list is buying the core choices, e.g. Tactical Squads, so that's literally what I said...:P

As for Glaive vs. Blade, just go with whatever you think looks the coolest. They're both very expensive and very powerful behemoths. The Glaive is a little more unique with a cool beam weapon, but if you like spewing out an insane amount of firepower the Blade will be the tank for you.

Between Fellblade and Glaive, Glaive can be used at 2.5k, Glaive can't.

I'm going to assume you mean that the Glaive can't be used at 2500 and the Blade can, but either way that's wrong - the Glaive is 625, so it fits into 2.5k exactly.

For an all around tank, the Fellblade is actually really good and has lasted me entire games. The Glaive is great as well, but requires some tactical movement as the main weapon profile uses a beam.

I'd swing over to the TS Heresy tactica thread for more insight into the units. Also, go to 1d4chan:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Space_Marine_Legion_List_(30k)

The site has a really good overview of all legion units and even specifics for yours. I recommend it as a solid springboard to assist you.

Each of the TS squads must be part of a certain cult, and each cult brings different benefits. Almost like chapter tactics that you can choose on a unit by unit basis. I'd definitely write out a 2000 point list before buying though as it can save you some buyer's remorse and give you a goal to reach for.

Buy sections of your army as well, don't do it all at once or it will be overwhelming. Do a few tactical squads and reward yourself with a character, Dreadnought, or tank.

Some units will always be "good" that I can recommend. Contemptor dreadnoughts, Leviathans, Sicaran tanks, and terminators.

depthcharge12 thanks for the advice on creating a points list that seems to be a good guide/starting point.

Trust me, it will save you a headache and a wallet ache lol. The nice thing about creating a list is that while you buy in sections, you could change your mind on a particular unit you want to buy instead, but it won't mess up your list because you have already crunched the points values.

I think most TS players enjoy running Sekhmet terminators, Khenetai blade squads, and the occasional Osiron Dreadnought (librarian Contemptor dread).

Archived