Skitarii in Shadow War: Armageddon

I got a chance to field my Skitarii Rangers yesterday, and I have to say that I had a blast. I played two matches, one of them I got stomped on by a Necrons player, and the other I murderized some orks.

I am not counting the Necrons player since his kill team was deep into the store campaign and had 800 more points in gear and personnel than me. But the Ork player had the same points as me so I feel that was a better match. Overall, I think the Rangers did very well. I lucked out in that the scenario was Kill Team, and I was able to deploy first. With that being the case I was able to capitalize on the terrain and set up a pretty awesome gun line using my five dudes. This forced the Ork player to come to me, and even though he used cover really well, I was still able to pick off enough of his dudes (Omnispex supporting a Arquebus sniper was huge for me.) that I forced a Bottle Test before he got into combat.

Overall, I think there were some rules that we were not using (like I just found out that the Ork player could have done a leadership test to unpin his dudes at the START of his turn if they were within 2 inches of another Ork. That would have been huge for him) but since we were both super new to the game (my second match and his third) I don't feel too bad.

But I do think that if it were a scenario where I had to take objectives, I would have had a much tougher time.

How have other players done when it comes to seizing objectives?

Had a game today introducing my friends 10yr old to their first wargame.

An unlucky round where I was positioned well but rolled 2s when I needed 3s hurt, and even with the Eldar sustained fire forgot he was doing better than I with shooting and I failed my 2nd bottle roll.

I'll need to keep a lot further away from Eldar to make the most of the range advantage. Also, bastion battlements give very good cover in shadow war.

• 2 weeks later...

My second game against craftworld eldar showed me that indeed it can be well worth sitting my arquebus and rifle weilders on the ground in open terrain where their range can protect them rather than moving into cover but also range of the enemy, though I'll try not to get overconfident with that, as it won't be true once they get a weapon platform.

It was rather nasty though when my leader near the middle of the board also was the most alone and was dragged off by the 'monster'! Luckily they survived and learned to scrounge from the experience.

I have a question for those of you who have played Shadow War and/or have the rules. What's the average, expected or allowed point value for a Kill Team?

I'm trying to put a Skitarii team together using the downloadable rules (the same that came with the White Dwarf), but since there's no information regarding how many points I am allowed to spend, I'm pretty much stuck. They don't even show the total points for the teams used in the Ferro-giant Alphus match, so I don't even have a vague reference. Some information would be greatly appreciated.

I asked this in some Facebook groups but should add it here:

If a model with an Omnispex is Hiding, does using it reveal the user? It's declared at the start of the turn and is neither a shooting attack or movement.

RAW it doesn't reveal him just like Markerlights don't reveal Tau.

Archived