Talons - Campaign List - Taking it to 2K

Charlo

Our local club is running a slow-grow campaign starting next month!

Plan is one game each month, flexible lists and every two months the points limit goes up by 1K, so April/ May is 1K, June/ July is 2K, August/ September is 3K and it all ends in a massive Apocalypse for the fate of the system.

My first opponent is a Militia player in what is being called the "Mis-match of the round."

This is what I'm looking at:

Oblivion Knight Centura - Master Crafted Execution Blade
3 Spear Guard
3 Shield Guard - One Gauntlet
5 Bolter Sisters - Nuncio Vox
7 Sword Sisters
5 Saggitarum - Teleport Transponders

Thoughts? I might slim down the Saggitarum by a man to give me another Spear or Shield guy, as they are currently over 1/3 of the points....

I like it. Nice and fluffy. Scary, but not totally over-the-top nasty like a pure 1000pt Custodes list so easily could be. I'm playing my Word Bearers in the same campaign BTW (and I'm also in the very early stages of building up my own Custodes army), so perhaps I'll draw against you in a later game. I don't have anything in the way of plasma or S10 blasts, so it would be a hard, but probably fun fight - guess I'd be looking to squash your Custodes with dreadnought fists or just block them with summoned daemons.

I'd be tempted to give one of your spear guard a Vexilla and power axe. Probably not a big deal against a Militia opponent, but useful in an all comers list to help them against 2+ save units if they don't get the charge.

Are you running your sword sisters as Vigilators or Oblivion Knights? Oblivion Knights are definitely better for the points and you already have three troop units. Will also provide a little more help if your opponent includes a Rogue Psyker.

The big Saggitarum unit is really what makes the list feel fluffy and not over-the-top nasty, besides looking incredibly cool. Your list would almost certainly be more effective with less Saggitarum and more spear or sword & board Custodes, but that sort of dilutes the concept of the list. And against militia, their Bolt volley could actually end up being fairly useful, so certainly not wasted points. On a 48x48 board, I'm not sure you'll even need to deep strike them in, so you could always save a few points by dropping the teleportation transponders (and also the nuncio-vox). Just stick them as far forward as you can and use them to cover that central objective we'll all be fighting over in the first game.

Ah cool! Nice to see another HATEr on the boards :)

They're just the troops choice sisters, mainly to keep things a little sane, but i'll look into the Oblivion Knights!

Actually assembled my 3 Spear guys last night! So no Vexilla just yet :P

I think we're also playing ZM for the first game if possible, so the list has that in mind - teleporting the Saggitarum in somewhere nice without scatter.

• 2 weeks later...

While still not having played the first game... I'm thinking ahead to what I want to do when we reach the 2K games...

I think I'm certainly going to buy 6 Jetbikes, which is an easy 450-600pts depending on loudout, but what to do with the extra 400?

Am totally able to flex around the other squads but I think I'd keep it similar to the 1K.

may have to grab the Tankibune at this level purely for the infiltrate on the banana boys (and I have the model ready to build/ paint).

I'm wary of buying a transport, but I may just have to drop the dollar on it...

Any other suggestions? Sadly Pallas are out as they are just too expensive for single models right now.

Depends if you want to scare people off :-) 

Actually I think the Tankibune is only really over powered if you take the shield and the cyber-familiar. Besides the FAQ posted for the campaign limits the invulnerable re-roll to 4+ so you only get the benefit of the familiar on the initial roll - might be worth just dropping that upgrade. If you don't want to buy/build transports, getting infiltrate from the warlord trait is probably the best way to go. So that pretty much mandates a Tribune of some sort. Just watch out for the rumoured 8th edition update later this year - I wouldn't be surprised if the warlord traits get changed around and this could invalidate your whole build. A back-up plan, particularly at the 3k point when I'd expect to see the new rules appear, would be Valdor and deep striking.

It's a shame the the bikes are so much cheaper (in cash terms) than the pallas, because a mix of the two could keep the cheese accusations down. At 2k, I'd be tempted to take 3 jetbikes and 2 pallas, with the pallas fielded as individuals rather than as a squadron. Still you're fielding Saggitarum, which certainly helps balance things.

I've actually got the parts for ten Saggitarum and would field as many if it didn't totally cripple my list :P

Though an infiltrating blob of those would be fun... My fluff is actually going to be that my Tribune is the master of the Saggitarum :D

I'd deffo buy some Pallas if it weren't for the price, though we'll see...!

I'm not too worried about 8th either. No chance the whole of the HH lists will be updated in time and I can't see the campaign being switched over half way though.

Archived