Modeling ideas for Seraphim?

I'm re-basing my sisters on 32 mil, and was looking for ideas on how to base the seraphim.

I really like the purity seal ribbons that Saint Celestine has holding her off the base, and was wondering how to duplicate that for the metal seraphim models.

What materials and tools would you use to create a similar effect that would support the weight of the metal seraphim?

Wire with a greenstuff coating.

I'd drill the wire both into the model and into the base to provide a joint design to resist the impact moments from the heavier models.

Probably into the bottom corner of the tabard and use that to blend-sculpt the super long purity seals along the tabard.

I am going to cheat. Going to buy two boxes of Triumvate and use the Geminae Superias as seraphims.

But for the metal seraphims I would do as above posted. Metal wire. Perhaps two as St. Celestine to really support the weight.

Two's probably overkill if care is taken during materials selection. You're probably looking for something like paperclip steel with a high young's modulous and relatively high total distortion energy before going plastic. Take care not to work harden during prep work and maybe, if you're feeling sufficiently obsessive, look into heat treating it?

Really though, once your wire's strong enough the weak area's in the joint design and setting it up so that you don't crack at the stress risers. Perhaps pierce the plastic base and bend the wire along the underside of the base. Then, fill that in with some kind of resin? In a pinch put a fresh layer of super glue down and mash a blob of green stuff over the whole thing? The greenstuff should provide semi-flexible restraint while the glue will actually stick the green stuff to the underside of the base.

Well I have some memory wire that I picked up several years ago.  It has the strength not to break and is flexible to give a similar floating effect to the seraphim.  I might have to use 2 wires for the weight, but I like the idea of wrapping the wire on the bottom of the base.

The twins are about a half inch off the base, so probably using about 2 inches of wire would give me enough to both pin into the model and still have enough for a curl under the base.

I'll be using the Sector Imperilous bases, so there is plenty of space for the curl.

Archived