2500pts Sons of Horus List

Ion

Hi all, I'm not as up to date as I used to be and dropped out of the hobby for a while, so I was just wondering how my current list looks overall and where I can improve. A lot of the stuff is things I already own, so I'd like to be able to make use of them in some way.

HQ

Praetor - Cataphractii Primus, Digital Lasers, Master Crafted, Paragon Blade - 200pts

-- Justaerin (9) - 2x Chainfist, 7x Powerfist, 9x Combiplasma - 533pts

Centurion - Primus Medicae, Cataphractii Armour - 130pts

Troops

Tactical Squad (10) - Additional CC Weapons, Legion Vexila, Sergeant w/ Artificer Armour and Power Fist - 180pts

-- Rhino - Auxiliary Drive, Dozer Blade - 50pts

Tactical Squad (10) - Additional CC Weapons, Legion Vexila, Sergeant w/ Artificer Armour and Power Fist - 180pts

Fast Attack

Reaver Squad (15) - Artificer Armoured Chieftain, Jump Packs, 10x Chainaxe, 4x Power weapon, Power Fist - 410pts

Heavy Support

Deredeo Dreadnought - Aiolos Missile Launcher, Anvilus Autocannon Battery, Heavy Bolters - 220pts

Spartan Assault Tank - Armoured Ceramite, Auxilary Drive, Dozer Blade, Quad Lascannon - 340pts

Sicaran Venator - Dozer blade, Pintle mounted heavy bolter (for weapon destroyed) - 205pts

Total - 2498pts

Run with the Long March. I own most of the models listed here already, barring the Spartan, Sicaran, and one Rhino. I also have a heavy support squad of 5 with volkite culverins, and 5 tactical support with plasma.

Advice and feedback would be appreciated

If you're running a Spartan, get a flare shield. It's absolutely pivotal that your Justaerin unit makes it into combat as early as possible. As a Venator already comes with one pintle-mounted heavy bolter, I'd reinvest those points into the Spartan's flare shield. You have enough nasty targets to give the Venator a bit of protection.

It's a rather one dimensional list with so many points being invested in your deathstar (that being said, a deathstar with topknots is a deathstar with style), but the army is fast and has a fair few scoring options/the ability to take out Primarchs and shut down enemy super heavies, so you tick all of the boxes.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Dropping the heavy bolter won't quite make up for a flare shield (hadn't noticed the Venator came stock with one, otherwise I wouldn't have put it there to start with), and even if I drop the chainaxes from the reavers I'm 18pts over.

What would you recommend I cut to push down? Alternatively, suggestions for getting it up to 2750? Maybe even building it up to an even 3000 might be better.

As for being one dimensional... well, it's so hard to resist a deathstar with topknots xD

I looked for ages for enough of the ones from the Cataphractii special weapons set, but couldn't find them, so I'm using Combi-plasma from the B@C tactical squads. It's pretty simple to cut away the cataphractii hand from a combi bolter and then glue on the bolter.

Here's a pic

http://i.imgur.com/Xof9DPK.jpg

If you drop the Aux drive on your two Rhinos you will have the points for the Spartans Flare shield, I can't reallt suggest that much...Reavers are overpriced and probably better off being run as an Assault squad and in my experience Deathstars are easily avoided or fed with fodder to hold them up.

What exactly does The Long March do for your army? Nothing will be in range to shoot Turn One and you dont have any Heavy weapons to make use of Relentless. You might gain minimal use of Fleet for the Reavers or Crusader later in the game but most of your units are in transports so won't benefit until the turn after they deploy.

My advice, drop one Tactical squad, run the Reavers as Assault marines and take a Plasma Support squad in a Rhino. Keep the Justaerinstar but maybe drop a man or two if you need points elsewhere. Sicaran and Deredeo are great as they are (obviously drop the extra Heavy bolter) and the Spartan needa that Flare shield.

Edited by Rangaman

Is there any reason not to take Long March? Would another rite be better off?

If I followed your suggestion the list might look something like this:

HQ

Praetor - Cataphractii Primus, Digital Lasers, Master Crafted, Paragon Blade - 200pts

-- Justaerin (9) - 2x Chainfist, 7x Powerfist, 9x Combiplasma - 533pts

Centurion - Primus Medicae, Cataphractii Armour - 130pts

Troops

Assault Squad (20)  - 4x Power Weapon, AA and Lightning Claws on Sargeant - 375pts

Tactical Support Squad (5) - Plasma Guns, AA - 185pts

Heavy Support

Deredeo Dreadnought - Aiolos Missile Launcher, Anvilus Autocannon Battery, Heavy Bolters - 220pts

Spartan Assault Tank - Armoured Ceramite, Auxilary Drive, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon - 385pts

Sicaran Venator - Stock - 190pts

Total - 2498pts

I guess The Long March has no drawbacks that will effect you...list looks good, although the Rhinos may benefit from taking a Multimelta over the Auxiliary Drive. Only way to refine the list is to take to the field! Edited by Rangaman

It is all chance at the end of the day, but it does add threat to another unit which would normally be ignored.... might save your other tanks from being shot at for a turn.

Are multimelta's actually useful? They weren't the last time I was up to date with rule, because everything worth melting was armoured.

Most times it works to provide an extra threat it's pretty cheap and a lot of targets outside of death star vehicles don't have ceramite. So tossing some multi melta at a sicara or vindicator is well worth trying.

I would consider dropping 2 justaerin for 3 more plasma support marines. The justaerin will be in the spartan so they should be well protected til they get into assault, so you can afford to drop a couple. Plus having 16 plasma shots rapid firing is much better than 10! 

I also second the vote for multimeltas on the rhinos. Having your rhinos being immobilised will be the least of your worries, they usually just blow up or get wrecked if anything more than a stiff breeze heads their way!

• 5 months later...