Primarch Book 3 Magnus the Red

Mellow

Other than TSons, what other Graham works have you enjoyed?

While I don't think I'd place either of them in my top 10 BEST entries into the series, I quite liked both False Gods and Fulgrim. Well paced, the action is strong and the events are mostly character driven. They also had the most tolerable remembrancer plots in the early series IMO. I enjoyed Angel Exterminatus as well, though I thought it was brought down by the marines on the Sisypheum

Edited by Roomsky

I haven't encountered the Grahamverse issue so much as that he only ever has characters making friends with the most senior/canon-famous members of another Legion, rather than having, say, one Thousand Son be mates with Verulam Moy or Marius Vairosean, instead of the entire Mournival or Eidolon, respectively. Apart from anything else, it gives the impression of an odd, exclusive club across the top tier of the entire Legion Astartes.

In general - cause where always was an exclusive club across the top tier of each Legion

I haven't encountered the Grahamverse issue so much as that he only ever has characters making friends with the most senior/canon-famous members of another Legion, rather than having, say, one Thousand Son be mates with Verulam Moy or Marius Vairosean, instead of the entire Mournival or Eidolon, respectively. Apart from anything else, it gives the impression of an odd, exclusive club across the top tier of the entire Legion Astartes.

In general - cause where always was an exclusive club across the top tier of each Legion

'I thought it was brought down by the marines on the Sisypheum' - Nykona the ninja wasn't to your liking Roomsky? :teehee:

• 3 months later...

Seems like I'm currently a necromancer....

I just finished Magnus and I have to say that it was not bad at all. If I had it read a couple of years ago, I would be open-mouthed. But discussing a lot about  books, qualities, consistencies and the likes changed the way I see the stories I'm reading.

Still, there are some points which left me with a question mark or I rather disliked:

1) Shai-Tan 

Well, it had good rudiments but in the end, I was a bit disappointed about the psionic might of former colonists being merged into a daemonlike being. It was a bit too flat (just compromised pain, agony and hate) and came out of nowhere. Sure, you need a being of psionic might as an adversary to Magnus but that's a bit predictable. Something like a Sister of Silence or a follower of Khorne (with near immunity to psykers) would be something new and a real challenge for the one, who is so relying on his powers. Choosing a Khorne cult, which wants to destroy itself for obvious reasons could have fit as well in this setting without diving too deep into the BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD stuff.

2) The Sons of Shai-Tan

If the entire government of Phosporos was infiltrated by the cult. Why did they join the Imperium? They could've resisted their annexation, leading to their own demise. Result would be the same: those, who wanted to die, could've died against the Imperium. If done correctly, they could've forced the Imperium to an Exterminatus. I don't really see the need to build a gigantic machine in order to destroy the world via the tectonic plates. Bit of a waste of time. Or maybe it was all just as planned, in the end. huh...Tzeentch you sneaky bastard...

3) Ahriman

Ahriman was "just" a Legionnaire. Still, Magnus already sees him as his most beloved son? Why? Maybe I've missed something but there was no real explanation for this. Or was it just because Ahzek was at his side during the most crucial events like the crash of the ship?

Another point I found confusing about Ahzek was his disgust at thinking about Legionnaires fighting Legionnaires. He further condemns Phosis for killing a fellow (yet possessed) brother. He is worrying about the Iron Warriors possible calculation of a scenario including Legion vs Legion shenanigans. And all of the sudden, he is willing to kill Forrix, with whom he had just became friends with, just because of a possible vision of him? Ahzek even discussed with Forrix previously about the inconsistency of vision and how to prevent them. What the heck?

4) Shai-Tan & Ahriman

Did I get it right? Magnus recovered the ship and brought it to Prospero / Planet of the Sorcerers? Why? He was struggling to open this ship again. Then why didn't he just left it there or destroyed it? Was he so arrogant / overbearing to think that he can unlock ancient and helpful secrets which were contained in it? And am I correct in assuming that Ahriman will break the seals, dive into Shai-Tan again and discover a way to enact the Rubric? I don't see the point of making Shai-Tan such an important factor to the later history and demise of the Thousand Sons.

Don't get me wrong. I really like it. Especially Perturabo was something I enjoyed. Until now, I only got the cruel, coldhearted tyrant characterization from The Crimson Fist and FWs third book. McNeils take on him fits more the way I've imagined Perturabo to be. I'm curious of how Guy Haley did him, as his Perturabo is the next one on my list.

The scene where Perturabo crushed the tiny, extreme complicated machine, which he had created for Magnus, just to make a point, was really good, imho. After all, I kind of enjoyed Perturabo a bit more than Magnus, which is weird as this book is centered around the Crimson King and not the Lord of Iron. Maybe this is because of me always struggling with identifying with the sorcerer archetype. I'm more the knight-ish / paladin and shaman / nature based guy. ^^

Nevertheless, the Thousand Sons are (next to the Night Lords) my favorite traitor Legion since A Thousand Sons. Although the Iron Warriors are recently rising in my favor as well. Even though I've got some points to criticize upon, I've still enjoyed it. And I've still got the entirety of Ahriman's own trilogy and Crimson King to read. Maybe they will turn me into a sorcerer after all. :wink:

Edited by Kelborn

The top tiers of the Legions might be quite exclusive, but I never liked the idea that everyone at the top personally knows their exact opposite numbers. Garro and Tarvitz's friendship is quite refreshing in that regard.

It's just unimaginative, really.

Edited by bluntblade

The top tiers of the Legions might be quite exclusive, but I never liked the idea that everyone at the top personally knows their exact opposite numbers. Garro and Tarvitz's friendship is quite refreshing in that regard.

It's just unimaginative, really.

With which McNeil suffers a lot lately - VS, Magnus, Crimson King.