Shadow War: indication of GK future or not?

AfroCampbell

So there is a free download of the new rules for Shadow War: Armageddon, and interestingly the rules for each of the GK close combat weapons and ranged weapons are quite different.

Now, I understand this is a different game entirely, however do you think this may be an indication for changes in the same direction that we might see the 8th edition Codex go?

My dream for 8th edition: AP2 Halberds.... i know probably unrealistic but still.

interesting in the new rules that the Nemesis Demon Hammer does NOT have any armour save modifier.... and cool new rules for the Warding Stave giving 3++ in CC. Also cool to get rerolls to hit with the Falchions, and nice to see the Force sword get a buff... sad to see the Halberds do not get an armour save modifier as I feel these are bigger heftier weapons that would cleave armour better than a sword, but hey overall these rules are interesting.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf - link to the rules

The game has two sets of armor modifiers, one set determined by the weapon itself (sword with -3) and one determined by strength of the user if a weapon doesn't have a save modifier (i.e. The hammer). The hammer provides the user with +4 strength which on a GK will give him strength 8 giving a -5 save modifier. Same as with the halberd! Hopefully that clears up some confusion!

This new rule set seems to me to be basically rolling squads into single model, so instead of a squad of GKT and a squad of Purifiers you take a TDA GK and a Purifier.

As to whether or not it's a window into future rules ... probably. GW tends to test future rules these days via one-shot games rather than, you know, actually play testing.

SJ

All of that looks very interesting. I like that mechanic for casting psychic powers, the powers themselves, the rules for our weapons, all look really cool. Hopeful for GK in 8e.

Archived