Shadow War: Armageddon, Chaos factions

Harlequins are NUTS. WS4 really hurts against them

Then don't take a look at Tyranids lol. They have WS5 as well and if they take a second pair of scything talons they get +1WS and can re-roll to wound rolls. Oh and they can take a thing for +1 move so they end up with movement 6, covering 12" per turn. Sure they are only 3 models in the beginning but 3 scary models with a total of 9 wounds. :D

Oh and they can't get pinned and have LD10 in case they actually have to test for bottle checks lol

Harlequins also have a 4+ Invul (not a 5+ ala 40k). They move 6" or run 12" and their Shuriken Pistols have +2 to Hit at close range and 1 sustained fire dice. But they are expensive points wise and only 1 wound.

Harlequins also have a 4+ Invul (not a 5+ ala 40k). They move 6" or run 12" and their Shuriken Pistols have +2 to Hit at close range and 1 sustained fire dice. But they are expensive points wise and only 1 wound.

And here I thought MoT was going to be super good for once! In this game I still think an invuln is very good regardless because of all the save modifiers (heck even falling off a building may remove your save!)

Aye, Invul saves are definitely VERY worth it. When I started with 40k I was actually surprised by the amount of invul saves every army has since I was still in the whfb 7e mindset (very similar to 40k 2e). :D

And yeah Harlequins have the advantage of being able to shoot and probably having a bit more models than Tyranids on the board. Both teams are scary but Tyranids are a bit more melee focussed (sure you could give them ranged bio weapons but eh...those are expensive and they are obviously designed with melee in mind except for their big guns).

So Plasma guns they worth it??? Thinking of taking 2 chaos gunners with bolt pistols, sword and plasma gun more for rule cool since I love plasma but unsure of how it works I see it has some unrealiable rule what does it do. Also any benefit for a champion with both bolt pistol and power fist as well as a Bolter also rule of cool as I'm planning on taking the champion ,2 gunners and 3 naked cultists though they are more for walking bullet shields

If you are equipped with a basic weapon (Bolter) or a special or heavy weapon then you do not gain +1 A from having 2 melee weapons or a melee weapon and pistol unless you have the skill that allows you to.

Somewhat related if you have a fighter with two pistols they can only fire both of them if they have the necessary skill from the shooting list.

I don't want to be wrong but... are the chaos marines pretty good in sw? You can make a balanced team with cheap meat shield cultists slowly replaced with marines as you get more income, skill list is great, autocannon, awesome free MoK and miscellaneous equip available to power armored (not 4+ loyalist) dudes?

I don't want to be wrong but... are the chaos marines pretty good in sw? You can make a balanced team with cheap meat shield cultists slowly replaced with marines as you get more income, skill list is great, autocannon, awesome free MoK and miscellaneous equip available to power armored (not 4+ loyalist) dudes?

They seem ok from what I have tested, but dice rolls and tactics appear to affect game outcome considerably. I am leaning towards my gang of Wyches with blade venom'd chain hooks because that is 10 models with reroll to wound, high initiative, dodge, and decent ws.

If anyone is interested, the current Inspirational Friday topic, with a deadline of Friday April 14th, has the theme of Hive War, inspired by new release.

If anyone has the desire to write a little (or long, as you wish) fluff piece about their kill team (or war upon a hive world in general), we'd love to read your work. :tu:

Played a 2vs2 game today using Chaos vs Scouts.

I had 4 Marines (1 with Autocannon) and 2 Cultists with Autopistols. Used MoN.

My partner had 8 Beastmen "Guard".

Our opponents were 10 Scouts.

We won the objective but were down to my 2 Marines while Scouts still had 5.

Hitting with shooting is tough especially with -1 vs running and -2 vs full cover. It's almost like 40K Ork shooting. Pistols with their +2 at short range are cool.

That said, with a guaranteed 8"+ run or charge, close combat happens fast. While we had plenty of pinned on both sides and a couple of downed, the real casualties came from close combat. This was because most guns only shoot once and shooting as aforementioned is hard. Whereas, you can get multiple hits from close combat and no cover save, and if you're downed - you're automatically removed if 1 vs 1. That and also because you use weapon stats in close combat. But even with a knife, you have -1 AP at 4 Str.

At first, I thought Dark Eldar, with their almost nonexistent armor would be at a disadvantage but given that close combat happens fast (especially with their 12" charge) and is very decisive, I can see how they would be deadly. Especially with cheaper models and getting +1 Dice and +1 attack score for every other model that piles in. I'd hate to see what Harlequins or Tyranids can do.

Moving on, I'm undecided about using 2 CC weapons and / or using MoK. As more dice also gives you a higher chance of fumble.

I'm also thinking about switching to MoS as being pinned or falling off ledges is a real thing.

Only 2 models had frags in the game we played, one got killed early and the other ran out of ammo after his first throw. But that throw was effective in pinning 2 Scouts. I'm thinking about getting more frags.

I've got some pictures and I'll post a more detailed batrep in a separate thread in the morning.

Yeah I think CSM are pretty good. I also do think there are more scary kill teams out there than we can build (Grey Knights for example) but so far CSM seem to be one of the most interesting lists which can hold their own against anything. Just what I wanted. ^^

Now while I really don't have much of a mind for rules, what really excites me about this release it that it might be a way to get back to that Iron Warriors Killteam I've had on the backburner for a while now. It was a fun project that I originally wanted to use for Path to Glory, but then that turned out to not really be a skirmish game at all, but rather smallish 40k...

Anyway, zero rules considerations have gone into these guys, I've mostly gone for what looks cool (and which Iron Warriors archetypes interest me):

iron-warriors-killteam-wip-5.jpg

I think I'll need some IW-themed cultists, though, which should be fun ;)

Those guys are actually legal, if you count the apocathery as being a regular marine with axe and knife and the terminator in the back as a spec ops thumbsup.gif

Those guys are actually legal, if you count the apocathery as being a regular marine with axe and knife and the terminator in the back as a spec ops thumbsup.gif

Almost. The axe would have to use the Chainsword rules. :D

You get one or more Promethium Cache if you achieved objectives.

A Promethium Cache is 3 uses:

1. Trade it for 100 points to spend on rearming or more models

2. Trade it for use of a spec ops model in one game

3. Collect 10 to win the campaign

I'm so looking forward to this! Time to knock out some more BL an IW marines for more kill teams. And of course some TS. 

Initially I was bummed, that Chaos has absolutely no option for a sorcerer, but that could have been overkill. Still, I have a lot of converted Sorcs that I could use and modify for SW:A(g). 

You get one or more Promethium Cache if you achieved objectives.

A Promethium Cache is 3 uses:

1. Trade it for 100 points to spend on rearming or more models

2. Trade it for use of a spec ops model in one game

3. Collect 10 to win the campaign

I thought 3 required 15 to win the campaign?

Did you do anything special with your aspiring champion?

I don't know if you did this but I'm thinking cultists can't take marks

I can see what you mean about initative, but that MoN must come in very handy for the plethora of low level wounds the game has? I know I'm leaning towards my MOT because there are so many save modifiers but I'm considering MoN

I can see what you mean about initative, but that MoN must come in very handy for the plethora of low level wounds the game has? I know I'm leaning towards my MOT because there are so many save modifiers but I'm considering MoN

you are correct cultist cannot take mark

I have units for both nurgle and tzeentch. And khorne. And slaanesh. And undivided lol.

I'm actually thinking of making a motley crew myself!

I could take my Deathguard test model for a Bolter, a Thousand Sons soulreaper as an Autocannon, a Work Eater with an axe, potentially as the Aspiring Champion. Toss in a cultist and a Tzaangor (cc cultist) and I'm probably aroun 1000.

Champion was just Bolt Pistol, a Chainsword, MoN. He killed a few Scouts in CC but lost to the opposing Scout Sgt.

Here's a pic of my Cthonian Thunderdome Crew (a little anachronistic I know):

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F21f_mCRxkM/WOb5dn9Kw8I/AAAAAAAAAh4/Cmb2rXvVzkg/s2048-no/IMG_3536.JPG

Archived