Mo's Legion of Dust (Pics)

MoGuy

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: Somehow I can't post the whole thing. The post just isn't send...

Gather 'round brethren, for I have to share the tale of a great victory and a broken dynasty!

Today I played my first game with the Sons in the new edition. I played about 1800 points against Necrons.

Forgefiend

Ah, the Dakkafiend. Still a bit more expensive than the Maulerfiend but not too bad. It's quite tough with a 3+/5++ and being able to regenerate a wound each turn. However, I do feel like it has to be buffed with Prescience in order to be viable. 8 S8 AP-1 D2 shots are enough to threaten most vehicles and while it isn't a true tank hunter like a Discopred it is a good allrounder with enough shots to mop up infantry or cripple the enemy's vehicles. Sadly it couldn't see the Doomsday Ark most of the time and the Monolith is T8 so it didn't do too much. I'll have to test it some more before I can make a verdict...

Ahriman / Exalted Sorcerer

So me and my opponent agreed that Ahriman and the Exalted both could use their auras as it seemed silly that they would lose their power just because they chose a transport. Both didn't do too much. Ahriman seems to be good at combat, however, since most units he would have been able to charge died via shooting or were already in combat with the Goats he didn't get to show his martial prowess. One thing noting here is that I think Infernal Gaze is not as useless as you might think. Most of the time my Exalted buffed the Fiend with Prescience so Ahriman only could cast Warptime, Smite and the Gaze anyway. Smite + Gaze is nasty and will reliably strip three to five wounds from an enemy model.

I also did get my Forgeworld Book so I am looking forward to testing my Contemptor and Hellforged Predator. :biggrin.:

Edited by MoGuy

Just finished my Hellforged Predator!

Normally I don't put too much effort into my stuff and am content if they have a tabletop standard quality that looks good when I deploy the army. But I saw a video where a guy is painting a Fellblade and he just keeps adding more battledamage, chipping and grime with pretty little effort and it looked so good. So I wanted to try the same and spend the whole day working on my Pred. I even added some decals which I normally avoid like the plague - stupid fiddly things always rip! Hope you enjoy the pics. :smile.:

Also for the rest of the battle report that I somehow couldn't post before (in short, because this is the third damn time I'm writing this!):

Tzaangors

Really solid, love the -1 AP on their weapons. Killed Warriors and Flayed Ones but will die in droves if left in the open.

Rhinos

Surprisingly sturdy! Love them. They are quick and I loaded mine up with Combi-Flamers. The Goat-Rhino actually felt useful even after it delivered its passengers. It flamed some Warriors and could tie up the Monolith. Awesome!

Helbrutes

Took the whole Necron army to kill just one of them in a turn. Very solid and can finally take a heavy flamer! <3 Feels like a good walker and can be customized to fit any role.

Rubrics

Extremely durable! Only lost 2 guys in the whole game! If they get in RFR their shooting is just brutal to behold and they can wound most tanks on 5+ which makes them alright at stripping off the last few wounds from a vehicle in a pinch.

Scarab Occult Terminators

Finally put out some good firepower! However, I would like for the Sorcerer to actually cast stuff instead of only being able to cast Mini-Smite...
Edited by MoGuy

Got some more stuff done!

Warpsmith side

Warpsmith back

Warpsmith Front

Helbrute

Contemptor

Contemptor new weapon

Tried to give the Helbrute a bit of a scenic base. You may notice that he doesn't have sand on his top, which is to indicate that he hasn't been slumbering under the sand (as he isn't an automata like the Rubrics). For now I'll call him Khatep the breaker of swords (for obvious reasons and as a little homage to the Fantasy Tomb Kings). 

I've also painted my Warpsmith. His base isn't finished yet, so the sand isn't there. He's red since I want him to represent the Order of Ruin just like Ignis from the Ahriman novels. It was a pain in the a** to get that decal onto his shoulder pad without it crumpling. In the end I made a small cut in it so that it would stay flat. Do you have any other tips for attaching decals to shoulderpads?

The last images are from my Contemptor who got a small weapon conversion. Originally I had build him with a Plasma Cannon but I just don't play him that way and I try to stay WYSIWYG so I gave him the Butcher Cannon from a Forgefiend.

Anyway, hope you like the pics! :)

There is a product called Micro Sol. Once your base color is down (ie: the color the shoulder pad will be BEFORE washes and weathering), brush Micro Sol or any other decal setter onto the shoulder pad. 

Shortly after, apply the transfer.

Use the time while it is setting to ensure that it is positioned properly. Go watch a funny video about ducks or cats or something. 

When you return a few minutes later, apply Micro Sol on top of the transfer. Yes, it is looking crinkled by now, but once you put more on, you can notice that it begins to smooth and flatten with the brush.

Once it's as flat as you can get it, apply your wash and weather as normal. This will hide the "clear" edges of the transfer. No need to paint around it.. 

I used that same product on all my sorcerers, Rubrics, vehicles and Scarab Occult. It even flattened the transfers over the rhino doors. A dull or glosscoat as a final touch will "really tie the room together, Dude" 

Got carried away- GREAT WORK buddy

Edited by Archaeinox

Started the conversion work on my Imperial Renegade Knight:

Knight WIP

Knight Base WIP

He was originally painted in ye olden days, when I started my Ad Mech army. 

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/bba904-1456348272.jpg

So he looked alright at the time but now I want to redo him and make him a nice eyecatcher. I'll also redo the base. The burning skulls are from Citadel's Dragonfate Dias and the Acolyte throwing a skull into the flames is from Awaken Realms.

What do you think? Should I add further conversion stuff? If so, what? I was thinking about using the head of the AoS High Elves' Phoenix but the current head is glued firmly into place and I don't want to break anything so it'll probably stay that way.

So, I just finished my Knight! Might add some more Tzeentch bitz sometime but for now I think he's done:

Knight Front

Knight Top

Knight Base

I replaced the RFBC with the Ectoplasmacannon from the Forgefiend and all the flames I added are from the AoS High Elves Fire/Frost Phoenix kit. The Icon on top of the Knight is from the new Lord Of Change kit. Since it was an older Knight Kit it didn't come with the Rocketlauncher so I had to improvise. In the end I ordered a new rocketlauncher from Kromlech. Sadly they didn't specify its size on their website so it is a bit small.

Anyway, let me know what you think! If you have further suggestions as to what I could add to the knight, I would love to hear them!

• 2 weeks later...

So as you might have read, I just got my hands on the new Death Guard from the Dark Imperium box. I love the minis and just had to get them! I've painted all day yesterday and today I finished my Plague Marines! I took my time with them and tried to paint them to a higher standard than I normally do. They have to be the most detailed troops I've ever painted and it really takes quite a while to get them right.

Anyway, I hope you like my Plague Marines:

PM Gruppe

PM 1

PM 2

PM 3

PM 4

PM 5

PM 6

PM Sargent

I've also converted a Drop Pod to a Dreadclaw and I've magnetized a Helbrute. Next up I'll finish the Bloat Drone and then the rest of the Death Guard minis. I'll keep you updated. ;)

Finished the Bloat Drone!

Bloat Drone Front

Bloat Drone rechts

Bloat Drone Links

Bloat Drone Base

I used some Mantic Zombies for the base. Thought it would be thematic as the gifts of Nurgle reanimate the dead to tear apart their former comrades...

It's also the first time I used Liquid Mask from Vallejo. I am  very pleased with the result! When I just paint on rust effects it never looks 3D. But now I just basecoated the armour with Rhinox Hide and Ryza Rust, put some Liquid Mask over it, painted everything in Death Guard Green and then used an old brush to chip away at the mask, revealing the rust underneath. Looks very natural I think!

Sextuple post! Boy, it's emptier in here than in a Rubric's armour. But to continue my streek of soliloquy! I have finished magnetising and painting my Death Guard Helbrute. His first performance was so poor that he shall be brandmarked as "Rusty, Waster of Points", until he brings back honour to his name by doing something exceptional!

Helbrute Front 2

Helbrute Links

Helbrute Rechts

Helbrute Front 1

I've also almost completed my Lord Of Contagion and the Noxious Blightbringer. 

Thanks guys, your comments always motivate me :)

I have now painted all the DG minis from the Dark Imperium Box plus the Helbrute. I only have to base the Blightbringer and Plaguecaster now, then I'm done. Hopefully I can register those units to generate some points for Chaos in the Konor campaign!

Yesterday I painted the twenty Poxwalkers in one go. Just basecoated them white and made their skin with shades, just like Duncan showed in his video. Very easy and quick but looks awesome!

I've also finished the Lord Of Contagion. What a magnificent model! I love it! If only he wasn't so stupidly overcosted... I'm currently using him to proxy Typhus, until he gets a new model.

Have some pics!

Lord Of Contagion Front

Lord Of Contagion Hinten

Poxwalker 1 Übersicht

Poxwalker 1 Nah

Hope you like them. :)

FINISHED!! 

I have officially finished all Death Guard minis from the Dark Imperium Box + another Drone and a Helbrute!

Take a look at the second Drone, Noxious Blightbringer and Plaguecaster:

Drohne Front

Drohne Links

Drohne Rechts

Plaguecaster

Blightbringer Front

Blightbringer Hinten

Next I'll get a Rhino, twenty more Poxwalkers, some more Plague Marines and probably also a Land Raider.

• 5 months later...

The front of the sarcophagus looks a bit clean for all the sand he has on top. Adding a bit more there might be a good idea.

I'm still waiting on some Egyptian scenery (crumbled statues etc.) I ordered to add to the bases. Once I come around to that I might revisit this Helbrute. However, apart from the Sarcophagus and the Tzeentch symbol the sand wouldn't have much to cling to on that flat surface. 

I have to play around with my lighting a bit too. I used Dark Yellow Ocre from Vallejo for the sand and on the picture it looks pretty bright when it is actually a more earthy brownish color.

Edit: Could a moderati please move this thread over to the Thousand Sons subforum? 

Edited by MoGuy

Oh trust me, unless the sand is 100% dry and the surface is 100% dry as well + really smooth there will be a very fine layer of sand basically everywhere. :D

However yeah I was mostly talking about the parts of the front of the sarcophagus where the sand could rest on.

A very fine layer of sand is difficult for me to achieve. Normally to do so I could just drybrush the pigment on the model so that only a fine residue would stay on it. However, I have no way of fixing it to the model since this is normally done by airbrushing some varnish on. But since I don't own an airbrush I would have to do it by hand, which would likely remove the fine layer.

But I'll see what I can do.

I admit I have no experience with fine layers of sand. I think I'd probably try to drybrush some light brown (same colour as the sand) on some places and mix it with actual sand in the recesses or something like that. With an airbrush I'd do some light fogging instead of drybrushing maybe? Never used an actual airbrush.

• 2 weeks later...