[Iron gauntlet 2017] IA: Viper Legion

Legionare

Wait wasn't Aurelius a Blood Raven planet...

Be careful of being too Alpha Legiony, unless that's you're thing.,m Hoid non so far.

Thank you for yout kind words LancsHotpot90, i'm currently experimenting with a bit different colour scheme, so that the shoulder pad rims would be silver/metal colored, while the company would be marked to the right kneepad. I'm not fully staisfied with the way the red turned out.

Cryptix Aurelia is the planet from Dawn of War 2. I've based my chapter on GWs Viper Legion, about which almost nothing is known, exept that their home planet is Aurelius, so even though i'm aware of the similarities, my hands are tied. Alpha Legion is my favourite space marine legion so i don't really mind if my chapters is influenced by them, buy i don't wan't that influence become the only thing in my chapter.

In a galaxy in which two chapters had the same name and homeworld, it's most likely that you gave two planets with the same name. ☺

I was talking about them. Emperor's Swords maybe?

Though they lived in different centuries, they indeed had the same name, colors and homeworld. Abd one of them waa heavily infiltrated by the Alpha Legion

Oh i see, might very well be. And i hadn't heared about the Alpha Legion infiltration before this, i'll go read about that now. Maybe i'll find something interesting.

Really cool Idea you have going on here! I really like the Alpha Legion style but as for color scheme. I noticed you said you didn't like how the red turned out have you considered an p3 paints some of their reds are quite nice and work well with citadel paints?

Thanks for the links Kelborn, they do help :)

Thanks Brink, and no i actually haven't considered those, but that definately is something to look into. Thanks for the advice.

I am enjoying your chapter, I find it funny that you have a Viper chapter like me, that has connections to the Alpha Legion, like me.

Anyway you have done a great job on the history of your chapter, an area in IA's in which I struggle so I will allow you to refer to their better judgement.

I would personally like to know more about the Organisation. As far as I can tell you have codex companies, referred to as Great cohorts. These are sub divided in two.

Do you not have a Veteran company? And what about your Scout company? Still apply there?

Now an ordinary battle company has the 6/2/2 split Tactical/Assault/Devastator. However with your combat doctrine, that can be referred to as anything from 10/0/0 0/10/0 0/0/10. How do they have so much equipment? Do they produce it themselves? Close with a nearby Forgeworld? With all this extra equipment you of course need more surfs, that is easy when you consider your chapter likes to work with local Astra militarum forces

I guess I am just interested in the logistical aspects of how your chapter works

I do have neither a scout company, nor a veteran company, usually marines serve in the same company for their whole "careers". However the chapter still has scout squads, that are attached to the cohorts when needed. Those fireteams that show great potential in stealth and scoutship intheir initating trials are made to scout squads. The number of these squads differ from time to time, but usually there are about two per cohort. (i really don't know what this number should be, so it's a subject to change). However it is very common that these squads fight across the Aura sector indipendly from all other Viper Legion forces, acting as elite squads for the local imperial guard regiments.

What should be noted is that the Viper Legion has 1000 marines, excluding scouts.

No they do not have that much equipment, but after the "long night" Viper Legion has become mostly self sustaining, although after the end of it they've recieved steady supply from a yet to be named forgeworld in Aura sector. What i ment with my combat doctrine was that the special equipment is given to each cohort depending on their mission, so there is no hard splits like 6/2/2 and so on.

Here's the organization of my main great Cohort and a bit of fluff about their most recent actions.

3rd great cohort

Captain Isaac Vulpes "The crusader"

+ command squad (9) from which 5 are tartaros terminators

Librarian major Ephialte Rubicos

Librarian minor Marcian Rubicos

5th cohort

Strategos Arcadius Thedos

Fire team Xen

Fire team Tairos

Fire team Ctalis

Fire team Olis

Fire team Pvoin

Fire team Ravnei

Fire team Hrur

Fire team Jakier

6th cohort

Strategos Roul Valectus

+ command squad Valectus

Venerable Justian Valectus

Fire team Acchus

Fire team Vergon

Fire team Drycchus

Fire team Gladier

Fire team Trojus

Fire team Marear

Fire team Krovar

Fire team Lupes

After the Bifrost uprising in M41 996 and hunting down of Brisus "the mad (primarch)", the third great cohort quickly filled its ranks and left to the distant forgeworld of Aphrodite. Inquisitor Keyser Staga invited the Viper Legion to be astartes praeses' representative on a presentation soon to be held on Aphrodite. On that world the mechanicum was preparing to present a newfound STC technology, which would be of great use for the Viper Legion. However they answered the inquisitor Keyser Stagas call to be representatives of the Astartes Praeses at that meeting with such force, because the Viper Legion had recieved knowledge and visions that promised great turmoil to the world of Aphrodite. Not only was the Word Bearer sorcerer Mikaelus, the "heir of the triumvirate" and apprentice of Brisus "the mad (primarch)", preparing to assault Aphrodite for this technology, had he partnered himself with [My friend hasn't chosen a name for this character yet] "the plague bringer" of the Death Guard, to bring this newfound STC and the world of Aphrodite, to the hands of chaos.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived