A single marine

Magos Kasen

So, I took a break from painting IWs, or anything else on my painting desk (so many projects), to paint a Space Marine of a different sort. I wanted to explore a different aesthetic than most space marines, and push the sci fi aspect of power armour and super soldiers. The colour scheme is something I made up on the spot for a custom chapter of mine, the Corsairs. Let me know if you think it looks good, or needs something different.

Anyway, allow me to introduce Brother Ortes of the Corsairs, Sixth Squad Third Company, currently serving aboard the Predax. Being a newly formed detachment, the strike force aboard Predax have not yet adopted an insignia for their formation. Ortes himself is a relatively new inductee, having served as a full brother for only six years. He has taken part in two boarding actions classified as 'Zone Mortalis' engagements, and his bolter bears the honour markings of these engagements as is Corsair custom.
The Corsairs are a largely Codex adherent chapter of Raven Guard descent, a product of the 13th 'Cursed' Founding, in which Imperial authorities sought to rectify the latent flaws found in many legion gene seeds, often with disastrous results. The Corsairs appear to have been affected only in minor ways by this. The mucranoid gland, which allows Space Marines to survive the vacuum of space for short periods, and which is defective in Raver Guard gene seed, is overactive within the Corsairs, remaining always in effect. Whether connected with this genetic quirk, or by sheer coincidence, the Corsairs have a marked specialty for void warfare, conducting a high number of boarding operations and naval engagements, and suffering higher than normal attrition rates as a result of these highly dangerous combats.

A Very nice model there. I really like the colour scheme and the chapter symbol!

Thanks! Glad you like it :)

He looks poisonous, somehow...

Given that marines can spit acid... I imagine they're poisonous to eat too haha.

That... is pretty badass. I've been trying to figure out how to paint an octopus on marine pauldrons for Yeeeeears and it seems like you figured it out.

I can't take too much credit, my freehand is rubbish so it's actually a moulded shoulder pad from Master Crafted Miniatures. 

Absolutely love the color scheme of this guy, as well as the background you gave him. I can see how you turned that desire to achieve a more sci-fi look into a reality in the paint scheme and the details on the mini. Love the octopus shoulder pad too! If you do get the chance, I'd love to see more

Archived