SW in the future

swcrap

Anyone have any idea what FWs plans are moving forward with the Space Wolves? Specifically do they plan to make an astartes or dread version of Bjorn (or both!)? Or any other possibilities they might think up and release?

From the Weekender they've mentioned that they'll be releasing conversion packs for the Grey Hunters - apparently there'll be a couple to cover off different wargear options (like Frost weapons, that was the specific example they gave).

No plans for Bjorn at the moment - I don't know when Bjorn gets interred into a Dread, but at Prospero (where Inferno is set) he's still either a veteran or something similar, he isn't of note until later in the timeline. 

Angelus is several months away so there's plenty of time for space wolves releases. I imagine a few of their unique units will get models/conversation kits within the next few months.

They better, it's not like I can take breachers/tacticals/assault marines as my troops like Tsons players can......

I need my Grey Slayer kit.

Bjorn does not get interred in a dreadnought until several centuries after the Heresy, so there will not be  a Bjorn dread.

They could doa model of him if they do a character of him, if they cover any other events such as Yarant... Which would also allow FW to update Raven Guard, World Eaters, T-Sons, Sons of Horus and may be Alpha Legion.

I await SW kits with baited breath, but with the current backlog of stuff in the pipeline I would not expect them until closer to the end of the year.

It's frustrating waiting for some kits from FW especially once they've been previewed. How long is it since Moritat and Siege Terminators were first shown in prototype form? Was it early 2016 they first appeared?

These praticaullar tyrants were shown only at the weekender before hand so they came out fast after the preview but working on for a while. The moritat we saw last year so that definetly took a long time. I assume we see the SW stuff at end of this year though and the Contemptor in probbably 2-3 weeks. Though we will likely see Magnus before grey slayer upgrades so maybe after the warmer world event.

What I want to know is why haven't the Wolves received a Legion Heads Upgrade Set yet? When will they get one? As part of the Grey Slayers kit?

To me the heads are the most relevant and characterful of the Legion Upgrades Set given torsos get hidden behind weapons and shoulder pads can easily be replaced by decals.

What I want to know is why haven't the Wolves received a Legion Heads Upgrade Set yet? When will they get one? As part of the Grey Slayers kit?

To me the heads are the most relevant and characterful of the Legion Upgrades Set given torsos get hidden behind weapons and shoulder pads can easily be replaced by decals.

There are rumoured heads in the grey players kit. At least fw seemed to be proud of one that has a leather face mask but didn't hear of other heads.

Well clearly it's far more important for Tsons to get TWO head variants, plus TWO contemptors, plus their special automata (and probably Sekhmet terminators) before us SW players get just our only basic compulsory troops choice kit.

Forgive me for being a little salty.

There are rumoured heads in the grey players kit. At least fw seemed to be proud of one that has a leather face mask but didn't hear of other heads.

This would be my concern for SW collectors: that the only heads they get are part of a bigger upgrade kit and specific to one unit type. I'd want to be able to buy just the heads to be able to upgrade the BaC or BoP kits and use them for whatever I want

Forgive me for being a little salty.

I understand the salt, but my response would be: at least you've got a book with awesome rules and fluff, a great primarch model with utterly insane rules and the promise of more to come soon. As a DA fan, I've been in the cold for quite a long time and expect to be for some time yet.

There are supposed to

Be multiple parts of the grey slayer kits. Which includes bare heads, knotwork masks, and helmets.

i didn't know another book called Angelus is coming out. I wonder if its about Signus Prime? don't think so though, as only Blood Angels vs daemons there.

On the other hand if its set during the Unremembered Empire setting, then possibly Dark Angels and Blood Angels receive their unique units and primarchs?

since a lot of shattered legions were at Imperium Secundus, they may get love as well?

i didn't know another book called Angelus is coming out. I wonder if its about Signus Prime? don't think so though, as only Blood Angels vs daemons there.

On the other hand if its set during the Unremembered Empire setting, then possibly Dark Angels and Blood Angels receive their unique units and primarchs?

since a lot of shattered legions were at Imperium Secundus, they may get love as well?

It's tharmas and signus. So it features blood angels vs daemons, night lords vs dark angels and the dark mechanicum at some point in the story.

It's tharmas and signus. So it features blood angels vs daemons, night lords vs dark angels and the dark mechanicum at some point in the story.

Ooooohhhh, Lion vs Curze! Maybe that pervert Keeper of Secrets vs Sanguinus as well.

Here's to hoping that the six wings are fleshed out better, and that we get rules befitting the best strategist and possible duelist in the Imperium (Lion) along with the most loved and supposedly balanced winged primarch Sanguinus who has been described as the best "blend" of all the good qualities in all primarchs.

Either that, or we get a really angry angel on wings. After Russ though, I wonder how else can Sanguinus or Lion be made just as powerful in terms of dueling and tarpit blending.

I understand the salt, but my response would be: at least you've got a book with awesome rules and fluff, a great primarch model with utterly insane rules and the promise of more to come soon. As a DA fan, I've been in the cold for quite a long time and expect to be for some time yet.

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for two factors, the lack of heads and the 'quality' of the SW rules in Inferno (intentionally gimped, or a typo ridden, confusing mess, either way it's poor form from FW). But it's the lack of a head kit that really grinds my gears. Every other Legion has the basic pads, torsos, heads upgrade sets,  so you could start a properly shiny and blinged out Legion of awesomeness while waiting for Angelus (or whatever the book with the rest of the DA rules will be). Frankly, I'd much rather have waited another year or so (or longer, if necessary) for Russ, in exchange for getting parity in the basic upgrade kits.

To those who can't understand why the Thousand Sons have received more than the Space Wolves so far, you need to think about the bigger picture around the books and the narrative.

As the Heresy timeline progresses there will be more that the Wolves will be involved in, and more opportunities for the FW team to update them. We're already seeing this with the tidbits of info that were released with the Angelus seminar at the Weekender - the Night Lords will be given an update to bring them in line with how they were at Thramas, and as the Heresy story progresses other Legions will get updates and extra stuff depending on where and when the narrative is. The traitor Legions will get more and more chaotic, with their units shifting towards their 40k counterparts (e.g. Noise marines, plague marines, berserkers, etc) as well as their Primarchs starting to ascend to Daemonhood. The loyalist Legions will also get updates too, reflecting how they've changed during the events of Heresy and also starting to show their 40k traits. 

The key here is that they're all based on the narrative events of the Black Books, so those Legions with iconic battles and those who were present during the Siege will be getting additional looks (as well as those who were fighting against them - they need to have antagonists after all). There will be some battles that the FW guys will be creating themselves, stuff that we haven't seen or heard of before, and probably they'll be expanding on events that have only been mentioned briefly in the background.

The fact of the matter is that after the events of Prospero, the Thousand Sons play very little part in the events of the Heresy - their narrative is pretty much done. Their homeward has been shattered, the remnants have been relocated into the Warp onto the Planet of Sorcerers, there's very little of them left in the galaxy. During this time there's only ever a token representation of the Legion anywhere, and unless FW come up with a brand new campaign with them in (which may be possible) there's not going to be a chance for them to be represented again.

This is pretty much the Thousand Sons only 'hurrah' in 30k, so this is really the only opportunity to get their models out into the world unless it's a completely random pet project that someone has a couple of years into the future. After Angels comes out, we might not see any more Thousand Sons releases in the 30k system, but we're probably going to see just about every other Legion again. So wouldn't it make sense to give the Thousand Sons players some love whilst their book is out by giving them a full range, rather than giving them just a couple of upgrade packs and a single unit and think 'That'll do'? This needs to be a force that people will want to pick up in the future, and if every other Legion has far more options / rules / models than the Thousand Sons, why would anyone new really want to pick them up, especially if they're not going to be brought up to the same level as the other Legions? There's a long game at play here, it's more than the here and now, it's about trying to make it a complete system for years to come. 

On a personal level, I can't quite see why there's a constant "I can't build any models until the <Insert Upgrade> comes out!!" response from some of the SW players here. With the rules there's already a view on what equipment options there are, the size of the units, the rules with them which give you more of a sense of what that unit is - there's absolutely nothing stopping you from putting together some of the more generic guys and leaving some of the more advanced models (like sergeants) until the kits come out. It's not like you're going to go to a game and someone is going to refuse to play you, because you've got some custom / kit-bash / converted models instead of solely the official FW kits. For those wanting heads without helmets, there's a huge amount already there in plastic from the 40k range that will no doubt fit right in to the aesthetic. Plus I can't see Frost Weapons and accessories looking too much different from their 40k counterparts either. There's so much that cane be done already, and many already have when you see the plogs of some of the frater here on the forum, that I can't see how some are just sitting there going "Nope - not until I have all my dedicated kits, upgrades and special characters, will I start to build anything!", it takes me so long to get anything built and painted that if I don't just do basic bolter guys whilst other kits are released I'll never get anything done at all. 

I'm sorry if this all comes across as 'ranty', but there's such a short-term narrow view being seen by some people that they're not looking at the bigger picture.

To those who can't understand why the Thousand Sons have received more than the Space Wolves so far, you need to think about the bigger picture around the books and the narrative.

As the Heresy timeline progresses there will be more that the Wolves will be involved in, and more opportunities for the FW team to update them. We're already seeing this with the tidbits of info that were released with the Angelus seminar at the Weekender - the Night Lords will be given an update to bring them in line with how they were at Thramas, and as the Heresy story progresses other Legions will get updates and extra stuff depending on where and when the narrative is. The traitor Legions will get more and more chaotic, with their units shifting towards their 40k counterparts (e.g. Noise marines, plague marines, berserkers, etc) as well as their Primarchs starting to ascend to Daemonhood. The loyalist Legions will also get updates too, reflecting how they've changed during the events of Heresy and also starting to show their 40k traits. 

The key here is that they're all based on the narrative events of the Black Books, so those Legions with iconic battles and those who were present during the Siege will be getting additional looks (as well as those who were fighting against them - they need to have antagonists after all). There will be some battles that the FW guys will be creating themselves, stuff that we haven't seen or heard of before, and probably they'll be expanding on events that have only been mentioned briefly in the background.

The fact of the matter is that after the events of Prospero, the Thousand Sons play very little part in the events of the Heresy - their narrative is pretty much done. Their homeward has been shattered, the remnants have been relocated into the Warp onto the Planet of Sorcerers, there's very little of them left in the galaxy. During this time there's only ever a token representation of the Legion anywhere, and unless FW come up with a brand new campaign with them in (which may be possible) there's not going to be a chance for them to be represented again.

This is pretty much the Thousand Sons only 'hurrah' in 30k, so this is really the only opportunity to get their models out into the world unless it's a completely random pet project that someone has a couple of years into the future. After Angels comes out, we might not see any more Thousand Sons releases in the 30k system, but we're probably going to see just about every other Legion again. So wouldn't it make sense to give the Thousand Sons players some love whilst their book is out by giving them a full range, rather than giving them just a couple of upgrade packs and a single unit and think 'That'll do'? This needs to be a force that people will want to pick up in the future, and if every other Legion has far more options / rules / models than the Thousand Sons, why would anyone new really want to pick them up, especially if they're not going to be brought up to the same level as the other Legions? There's a long game at play here, it's more than the here and now, it's about trying to make it a complete system for years to come. 

On a personal level, I can't quite see why there's a constant "I can't build any models until the <Insert Upgrade> comes out!!" response from some of the SW players here. With the rules there's already a view on what equipment options there are, the size of the units, the rules with them which give you more of a sense of what that unit is - there's absolutely nothing stopping you from putting together some of the more generic guys and leaving some of the more advanced models (like sergeants) until the kits come out. It's not like you're going to go to a game and someone is going to refuse to play you, because you've got some custom / kit-bash / converted models instead of solely the official FW kits. For those wanting heads without helmets, there's a huge amount already there in plastic from the 40k range that will no doubt fit right in to the aesthetic. Plus I can't see Frost Weapons and accessories looking too much different from their 40k counterparts either. There's so much that cane be done already, and many already have when you see the plogs of some of the frater here on the forum, that I can't see how some are just sitting there going "Nope - not until I have all my dedicated kits, upgrades and special characters, will I start to build anything!", it takes me so long to get anything built and painted that if I don't just do basic bolter guys whilst other kits are released I'll never get anything done at all. 

I'm sorry if this all comes across as 'ranty', but there's such a short-term narrow view being seen by some people that they're not looking at the bigger picture.

I only heard FW Mighttm do more Wolves at some point, but it's a ways away. It makes sense they would I guess, but knowing FW it will be a LONG wait.

Regarding upgrade parity, that's just not how the some of us want to build our legion, regardless of legion. I want all my dudes to be tricked out (but have a consistent look). And I don't know, but MAYBE it's down to personal preference or something like that.

And I don't really know how Tsons not getting any more spotlight time (which I highly doubt) justifies FW to rush everything Tsons out before getting to the other half of space marine content in the book. The rules are there for both sides that require models so any waiting period is up to FW. Just because Space Wolves might get more rules (a long time) down the line doesn't negate the fact that Grey Slayers, Varagyr, Deathsworn, etc. already exist and need upgrade kits/models.

Honestly I wouldn't be as annoyed if it weren't for the fact that Grey Slayers are the only troops choice I can take as compulsory if I don't want to run Russ. That really limits me when (the horror) I was looking forward to extensively using FW upgrade sets to make my army cohesive and cool. If I could just use regular breachers while I wait for Grey Slayers that'd be pretty cool.

As a Wolves player, I was really looking forward to NOT using 40k bits in my Heresy army, because it's different and unique and fun.

I'm really sorry for being salty still. I just want to get my opinion across.

On a personal level, I can't quite see why there's a constant "I can't build any models until the <Insert Upgrade> comes out!!" response from some of the SW players here. With the rules there's already a view on what equipment options there are, the size of the units, the rules with them which give you more of a sense of what that unit is - there's absolutely nothing stopping you from putting together some of the more generic guys and leaving some of the more advanced models (like sergeants) until the kits come out. It's not like you're going to go to a game and someone is going to refuse to play you, because you've got some custom / kit-bash / converted models instead of solely the official FW kits. For those wanting heads without helmets, there's a huge amount already there in plastic from the 40k range that will no doubt fit right in to the aesthetic.

Really? It seems perfectly reasonable to me. The same arguments can be used by other Legion fans still lacking certain units (though thankfully there aren't too many of them left now). For example, if I'm collecting Alpha Legion, and I want a Lernean Terminator unit, I'm a bit stuck. Of course I could just proxy, or convert something myself, but why waste time and money when the FW models will most likely make my effort look like junk? It's just more extreme for the SW right now, thanks to the lack of the full spectrum of basic upgrades.

Again, it's the head kit that's the real sticking point here. Sure, I could not bother, or use 40k plastics. However, I want something different, I already have hundreds of models using the 40k parts. I'm bored of them. Plus, I want armour appropriate helmets, so MkIV ideally, but MKIII at a stretch (possibly a futile hope, if they're going down the 'no helmets route', but ho hum), not more bare heads (some are probably inevitable, but I'm hoping for something I can't just get in plastic from GW). At least, if the head kit comes out and isn't to my taste, I can bodge my own stuff together, without the fear that the FW release will leave my work feeling invalidated.

Plus I can't see Frost Weapons and accessories looking too much different from their 40k counterparts either.

Really? I can. Even is the aesthetics are similar, the FW weapons just look better, more in proportion than a lot of what we see from GW. Plus there's cost/value to consider. The 40k range of weapons are either bundled in with squad kits (which not everyone will want for a 30k force), or there's the 2 from the current upgrade kit. A set of frost weapons, like the EC power spears, DG scythes etc. would be far better value, even at FW prices.

There's so much that cane be done already, and many already have when you see the plogs of some of the frater here on the forum, that I can't see how some are just sitting there going "Nope - not until I have all my dedicated kits, upgrades and special characters, will I start to build anything!", it takes me so long to get anything built and painted that if I don't just do basic bolter guys whilst other kits are released I'll never get anything done at all.

Because some of us aren't that good? I'd like the basic stuff from FW to enable the doing of 'basic bolter guys', so I'll know that any effort I make won't feel wasted once the official stuff arrives.

Like... Grey slayers are just marines with some weapon options. It's not like they are Palatine Blades, Dark Furies or Rampagers with super unique weapon options.

They're your basic dude with maybe some shields and wolfy bits on.

There are already a total plethora of Wolfy bits around in plastic & resin from a variety of retailers, including pelts, runes, gems and bare heads.

I totally agree with Mr R Parker here, this is 1KSons big moment - the wolves will have more to come.

At the end of the day Inferno contained 3 army lists - SW, 1KSons and Talons (and even some Ad Mech on top!). Considering the sheer amount of stuff already out there for wolves, can you really blame FW doing the others a little quicker?

Archived