Thousand Sons in Shadow War Armageddon

bozo69pd

Now trying to decide what to get, as I ended up with three promethium cathes, I'm thinking of spending two to get either another rubric marine with inferno bolter, photo visor and camo gear, a gunner with flamer and photo visors for both the marines with bolt guns, or maybe go crazy and spend all three and get a gunner with either an autocannon (soulreaper) wiith photo visor and camo gear or plasma or melta gun and splurge on upgrades for every one else.

You can only spend a single Promethium to either equip your guys or recruit someone new+gear according to the wording.

Now trying to decide what to get, as I ended up with three promethium cathes, I'm thinking of spending two to get either another rubric marine with inferno bolter, photo visor and camo gear, a gunner with flamer and photo visors for both the marines with bolt guns, or maybe go crazy and spend all three and get a gunner with either an autocannon (soulreaper) wiith photo visor and camo gear or plasma or melta gun and splurge on upgrades for every one else.

You can only spend a single Promethium to either equip your guys or recruit someone new+gear according to the wording.

That's what I was saying to people, but it appears some groups are saying you can use as many as you like. But I agree, that's how we're doing it in the campaigns here.

The problem is some armies (like Grey Knights for sure) can't really recruit certain models if they never started with them or some other factor doesn't come in to play.

I gave in to cultists. I'm simply getting hammered by more numerically superior armies. It's the pinning... and even in pairs, you may run!

So I hate to do this because I use Tzaangor and not cultists with my Thousand Sons but I may have to paint some Thousand Sons Cultists for this campaign.... I sure hope Cultists are a 'natural' part of Thousand Sons in 8th. :)

That's what I was saying to people, but it appears some groups are saying you can use as many as you like. But I agree, that's how we're doing it in the campaigns here.

The problem is some armies (like Grey Knights for sure) can't really recruit certain models if they never started with them or some other factor doesn't come in to play.

I gave in to cultists. I'm simply getting hammered by more numerically superior armies. It's the pinning... and even in pairs, you may run!

So I hate to do this because I use Tzaangor and not cultists with my Thousand Sons but I may have to paint some Thousand Sons Cultists for this campaign.... I sure hope Cultists are a 'natural' part of Thousand Sons in 8th. smile.png

Yeah I can see how groups houserule it differently (intended or unintended)

Numbers definitely win in a game where you just have to hit to have a chance to take a unit out for one turn. I simulated my team over the course of a few games and at some point I really don't know where to spend my points without taking more bodies and since I already captured one of the AM players guardsmen I now have a cultist...probably gonna add more cultists eventually by using my Kroot models for it. They are mercenaries after all and they can easy get corrupted by eating too much corrupted flesh. :P

Completely got murdered on Sunday in my couple of games running 4x inferno bolter tzeenth marines + tzeentch champion with powersword and camo cloak.

All game I was sniping and pinning 8 wytches while they conga lined to me for 3-4 turns. I kept failing to wound (rolling 1's and 2's!) which was so annoying, because if I did they were down. We may have been playing wrong but they would crawl around 2" a turn hoping to call it a flesh wound or otherwise get removed when they rolled a 6. After 3 of his models were removed and 2 were down his siren and bloodbride charged with their net + impaler... needless to say her 3 base attacks vs my 2 base attacks was brutal, even with my parry. I of course had to keep rolling horrible 1's giving him more bonuses. Even if we pulled a tie his initiative 6 gave him a free wack at me. Being locked against multiple models is just brutal!!!

I fear CC against all forms of Eldar now... luckily all of my guys even though losing and getting knocked out of the game never died. In fact I rolled well on their recovery and got 3 advancements. I spent the promethium to buy 5 cultists, so now with a full 10 models hopefully the cultist chaff will prove useful for triggering outnumbered combats against my enemies. I am looking forward to my next game!

Long story short model count is definitely more important than unit quality (for the most part). We even played a 1v1v1 and the Ork player had an easy time against the Wytches because he had more models.

So you only ever have 100pts worth to spend? How would you ever actually get more members other then cultists?

If it is possible to recruit more marines, would it be worth taking a chaos marine with chainsword and bolt pistol instead of another one with boltgun with inferno bolts? it's 10pts cheaper and would have some close combat ability, and could be good with MOS, or would just focusing on shooting be better?

So you only ever have 100pts worth to spend? How would you ever actually get more members other then cultists?

If it is possible to recruit more marines, would it be worth taking a chaos marine with chainsword and bolt pistol instead of another one with boltgun with inferno bolts? it's 10pts cheaper and would have some close combat ability, and could be good with MOS, or would just focusing on shooting be better?

200p

You get to spend 100p always and can improve it by another 100p for spending a Promethium. And don't forget the Guerilla skill that gives 50p more to spend. And then there is the Promethium sprawl event that gives the winner 100-200 more points to spend. And depending on whether you were attacker or defender in the Raid mission and you made the enemy retreat you get another 100p to spend. msn-wink.gif

It was a raid mission, he was attacking, no idea what his objective was, but I downed his team before he could achieve it so won.
Would that mean I would have 300pts to spend (using one promethium cathe)?
If so I think a gunner with Autocannon could be good, especially as my next game is going to be against Night lords.
I'll be pickign up the book this weekend, but assuming that interpretation is correct, my roster at the start of the next game will be:
Belshazar, aspiring champion with MOT, combat blade, power sword and bolt pistol
Anubis, Gunner with Heavy bolter, photo visor, camo gear,combat blade, MOT and Marksmen
Sazed, Chaos marine with Mot, boltgun, inferno bolts, combat blade and camo gear
Nimas, Chaos marine with MOT, boltgun,inferno bolts, combat blade and camo gear
Kaladin, Gunner with combat blade and autocannon

I don't have the victory conditions 100% memorized. You'd have to read them yourself since I don't have the book with me either.

But iirc the attacker gets the extra 100p to spend when the defender decides to retreat since then you are able to loot his base or something along the lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a plasma pistol worth it on an aspiring champion when he can a bolt pistol with inferno bolts? They cost the same, one is more reliabel but the plasma pistol does have impact hits, so either could be good I'm thinking, especially against Tyranid warriors.

Archived